Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 08:51 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,638,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Think of the environment like a pendulum on a grandfather clock. Normal swings from side to side at a certain rate.

Now push it a little bit. Now it swings wider.

That is climate change. More radical swings in weather. Extreme heat, Extreme dry/wet conditions, Extreme cold, stuff like that. The more extremes you see, the more the climate change is effecting it.
You guys predicted global warming, that has not happened. Now you claim you predicted climate swings? Are these annual swings, monthly swings, weekly swings, decadal swings? This sounds like you are describing the weather to me. The meme for the scammers is to talk about CAGW in terms of anecdotal weather events.

The climate of the planet is not warming, so you have reduced yourselves to talking about the weather. Funny thing is, you guys talked about the weather before too, predicting an increase in hurricanes, and winters without snow, early springs, late winters, longer hotter summers, and ten and thirty years later, we have the exact opposite.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,308,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
You guys predicted global warming, that has not happened. Now you claim you predicted climate swings? Are these annual swings, monthly swings, weekly swings, decadal swings? This sounds like you are describing the weather to me. The meme for the scammers is to talk about CAGW in terms of anecdotal weather events.

The climate of the planet is not warming, so you have reduced yourselves to talking about the weather. Funny thing is, you guys talked about the weather before too, predicting an increase in hurricanes, and winters without snow, early springs, late winters, longer hotter summers, and ten and thirty years later, we have the exact opposite.
I'm not sure who you're saying "you guys" are. I am not a climate scientist, nor have I made any predictions on global warming.

I do, however, keep up with the science on the subject out of curiosity.

No one claimed that we would have hotter temperatures all the time. Most writing I've seen on the subject mentioned the pendulum effect of more radical weather patterns.

Our environment is a heat engine, like the internal combustion engine. You add more heat, you get more power. In the case of the environment, it means more radical swings in weather.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,577,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hmmm but his massive mansion in TN wasn't big enough to suit him so he goes even bigger!

Stunning Pictures of Al Gore's New $9 Million Mansion Media Totally Ignored

You think it might be because the Gore-loving press wouldn't want people to consider the possibility that all of his global warming hysteria was really about lining his wallet and not saving the planet?
Formulate a response to that question as you look at what all that money the former Vice President is making off of spreading this myth can buy
- See more at: Stunning Pictures of Al Gore's New $9 Million Mansion Media Totally Ignored

Not seeing how 1) it's noteworthy that America has an ex-VP who is wealthy, or 2) what this has to do with climate change science

I mean, nobody even cares about Gore nowadays except righty climate deniers who need a strawman to beat. He's just some guy raising awareness of the exceptionally verified science.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
For decades, we enjoyed nice weather. Now, all over the USA people are freezing their butts off. 1360 record low temps in a week and over 30,000 low temp records over the past year. Surely Al Gore and his rich buddies and Obama and his government can do something about this. We even have 70 year to 120 year old records being broken.

Please Mr Obama, bring back global warming!!! I might even buy a Prius if you will just get rid of this wicked cold weather.

Dry & Cold Into The Weekend, But Is It Record Breaking? - Weather Wisdom - Boston.com
When I was in high school in the 70's, my science teachers at the time were warning us of another ice age by the time we got into this current century.

Hey! Maybe global warming is pushing back the impending ice age! Just think how much colder it could be!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,808,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Not seeing how 1) it's noteworthy that America has an ex-VP who is wealthy, or 2) what this has to do with climate change science

I mean, nobody even cares about Gore nowadays except righty climate deniers who need a strawman to beat. He's just some guy raising awareness of the exceptionally verified science.
You mean cause he was proven to be a lying ass hypocrite,who made a fortune off Gruber's people,LOL?

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-20-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 09:09 AM

33,501 posts, read 37,006,127 times
One of the predictions of climate change models is that extreme weather—floods, heat waves, droughts, even blizzards—will become far more common.

The data indicate a small increase in geologic events like earthquakes since 1980 because of better reporting. But the increase in the number of climate disasters is far larger. "Our figures indicate a trend towards an increase in extreme weather events that can only be fully explained by climate change."
Our Extreme Future: Predicting and Coping with the Effects of a Changing Climate - Scientific American

Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Those temperatures were caused by the Earth being closer to the sun.
These temperatures are caused by humans warming the planet.
Sorry , but there is no proof that human-induced CO2 is warming the planet. In fact there has not been any warming at all this century, and our current understanding of the theory of CO2 as a green house gas can't explain how this can be. The levels of CO2 keep rising but there has been no warming, this blows a hole in all past theories and computer models.

You cannot keep repeating the same old crap over and over, decade after decade, when actual observations of the planet's climate temperature disagree with your claims.

Every governmental agency has been forced to agree that their has been an inconvenient "pause" in global climate temps for 15-18 years, which includes this entire century.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,308,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Sorry , but there is no proof that human-induced CO2 is warming the planet. In fact there has not been any warming at all this century, and our current understanding of the theory of CO2 as a green house gas can't explain how this can be. The levels of CO2 keep rising but there has been no warming, this blows a hole in all past theories and computer models.

You cannot keep repeating the same old crap over and over, decade after decade, when actual observations of the planet's climate temperature disagree with your claims.

Every governmental agency has been forced to agree that their has been an inconvenient "pause" in global climate temps for 15-18 years, which includes this entire century.
Average temperatures climbing faster than thought in North America

Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 AM

33,501 posts, read 37,006,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hello POT!

An Inconvenient Truth

Since the film's release, An Inconvenient Truth has been credited for raising international public awareness of climate change and reenergizing the environmental movement. The documentary has also been included in science curricula in schools around the world, which has spurred some controversy.

As Vice President during the Clinton Administration, Gore pushed for the implementation of a carbon tax to encourage energy efficiency and diversify the choices of fuel better reflecting the true environmental costs of energy use; it was partially implemented in 1993.[18] He helped broker the 1997 Kyoto Protocol, an international treaty designed to curb greenhouse gas emissions.[19][20] The treaty was not ratified in the United States after a 95 to 0 vote in the Senate. The primary objections stemmed from the exemptions the treaty gave to China and India, whose industrial base and carbon footprint have grown rapidly, and fears that the exemptions would lead to further trade imbalances and offshoring arrangement with those countries.[21][22]

Gore also supported the funding of the controversial, and much-delayed satellite called Triana, which would have provided an image of the Earth 24 hours a day, over the internet and would have acted as a barometer measuring the process of global warming.[23] During his 2000 presidential campaign, Gore ran, in part, on a pledge to ratify the Kyoto Protocol.

An Inconvenient Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You have just confirmed what I said by bashing Gore even more...Yup it's all Gore's fault....He is the entity holding the giant blow torch that is toasting the earth....Yup, that must be it.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
One of the predictions of climate change models is that extreme weather—floods, heat waves, droughts, even blizzards—will become far more common.

The data indicate a small increase in geologic events like earthquakes since 1980 because of better reporting. But the increase in the number of climate disasters is far larger. "Our figures indicate a trend towards an increase in extreme weather events that can only be fully explained by climate change."
Our Extreme Future: Predicting and Coping with the Effects of a Changing Climate - Scientific American
You guys just predict anything and everything, like throwing spaghetti at a wall, and pointing to anything that sticks.

I predict right here and now, due to fluctuating wind and ocean currents, that there will be a weather event. Ta-da! See i told you so.

Like I said, your CAGW scam has been reduced to pointing at individual weather events as anecdotal evidence of proof. How sad, when you have been telling us for years that it's the climate, not weather, suddenly it's the weather, not climate.

Come back when you can be consistent and rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies