Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 10:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

I see Americans seem to think that global warming means America warming. If America isn't warm then it must mean global warming isn't real.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
People that deny climate change are simply sticking their heads in the sand. I'm not sure what the agenda is or if there is one. Maybe a AM radio talking head is feeding this nonsense, IDK??? I honestly don't understand why some people don't seem to care about our planet.

I think it needs to be reiterated that the snow you see outside your door is NOT an indication that GLOBAL climate change is not occurring. The key word here is global.

Here is some data and info from the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. It covers many of the talking points in this discussion.

Global Climate Change Indicators | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

Old 11-20-2014, 10:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its the trend, the LONG term trend. His link is accurate, how about talking about the data in his link instead of making a statement about one day in the past that you "remember"
There was no "data in his link."

This sums up his link:

"But now new research suggests that both are wrong – that the icy weather is indeed evidence of change but that, counterintuitively, it reinforces the case for global warming rather than the reverse."

The article only refers to what their computer models tell them. A computer model is not proof. He claims cold weather "reinforces the case for global warming." The cause for global warming is claimed to be human-induced CO2, he never provides any proof that CO2 caused this cold weather.

"As the jet stream slows down it meanders more, causing weather systems to get stuck in place"

He never offers proof that CO2 is causing this "meandering."

Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
There was no "data in his link."

This sums up his link:

"But now new research suggests that both are wrong – that the icy weather is indeed evidence of change but that, counterintuitively, it reinforces the case for global warming rather than the reverse."

The article only refers to what their computer models tell them. A computer model is not proof. He claims cold weather "reinforces the case for global warming." The cause for global warming is claimed to be human-induced CO2, he never provides any proof that CO2 caused this cold weather.

"As the jet stream slows down it meanders more, causing weather systems to get stuck in place"

He never offers proof that CO2 is causing this "meandering."
But now new research suggests that both are wrong – that the icy weather is indeed evidence of change but that, counterintuitively, it reinforces the case for global warming rather than the reverse.
Research at Tokyo University and Japan’s national Institute of Polar Research – published in the current issue of the journal Nature Geoscience – has linked the cold winters with the “rapid decline of Arctic sea ice”, caused by warming, over the past decade.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
When I was in high school in the 70's, my science teachers at the time were warning us of another ice age by the time we got into this current century.
What's your excuse for being wrong now?

Old 11-20-2014, 11:11 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not one day trends. I had days in Michigan with -40 blowing 30 or 40 MPH.

Its the trend, the LONG term trend. His link is accurate, how about talking about the data in his link instead of making a statement about one day in the past that you "remember"

My grandparents even said they remember weather being better in the past over what it is today
Of course it is a trend. That's why we track its weather

I am not a scientist and I don't claim to understand everything they are talking about - that includes both sides. I believe in climate change. How could there not, be with the chemical pollutants man has created and dumped into our air. I also believe the damage is already done. We can't replace our present atmosphere. Or at least we don't have that technology yet.

BTW, I can't comment on his link, because the Telegraph link isn't working for me. It's Frozen Oh wait, it finally warmed up!

"As the jet stream slows down it meanders more, causing weather systems to get stuck in place with a “blocking pattern” that pulls cold, Arctic air down over Europe and northern Asia for long periods at a time. And, sure enough they say, recent cold winters have occurred in years when the amount of Arctic sea ice was especially low."

Dr Colin Summerhayes of the Scott Polar Research Institute in Cambridge adds that the “counterintuitive” occurrence of cold winters “makes some people think that global warming has stopped. It has not. Although average surface warming has been slower since 2000, the Arctic has gone on warming rapidly throughout this time.”

Makes sense to me. Now, what can we do about it. I'm of the camp that believes the damage was done many decades ago. If its a global issue, it has to be a global initiative. And I don't see that happening anytime soon. Do you?

I think going back to using HEMP is the answer Now why aren't the Politicals in D.C. doing something about that?

Last edited by pollyrobin; 11-20-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
LOL!...Verified science, that sounds the same as saying "the science is settled"
It is the same. And unlike everything deniers say, it has the benefit of being true. You see, the thing about climate change, is that it is a fact, and there is no debate whatsoever. There's just the millions of people who are aware of the reality around them, and a bunch of extremely wealthy people and their duped followers who cling to the notion that there is some sort of controversy. In actuality, the only controversy is the psychological puzzle of how anyone can convince themselves that climate change is a controversy.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
People that deny climate change are simply sticking their heads in the sand. I'm not sure what the agenda is or if there is one. Maybe a AM radio talking head is feeding this nonsense, IDK??? I honestly don't understand why some people don't seem to care about our planet.

I think it needs to be reiterated that the snow you see outside your door is NOT an indication that GLOBAL climate change is not occurring. The key word here is global.

Here is some data and info from the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. It covers many of the talking points in this discussion.

Global Climate Change Indicators | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

Speaking of agendas, Why does this NOAA page have a "climate extremes" graph from 2013 while their "surface temperature" graph is from 2009? Are they trying to hide something???

Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It is the same. And unlike everything deniers say, it has the benefit of being true. You see, the thing about climate change, is that it is a fact, and there is no debate whatsoever. There's just the millions of people who are aware of the reality around them, and a bunch of extremely wealthy people and their duped followers who cling to the notion that there is some sort of controversy. In actuality, the only controversy is the psychological puzzle of how anyone can convince themselves that climate change is a controversy.
The only thing controversial, is what they're using the climate change hysteria for, and that is taxing and regulation. You have bad people that hi-jacked climate change, and turned it into an agenda, therefore discrediting climate change. Insulting skeptics by calling them flat earthers, deniers, and whatever other insults doesn't help your cause!

Lets look at all the times you people cried wolf over the years, none of it materialized, therefore discrediting global warming/climate change AGAIN...Sure the climate changes all the time all over the planet, but it doesn't mean some conspiratorial Armageddon apocalypse is going to happen.
The best thing a person can do is stay objective, and look at who, and what will benefit from this stuff money wise, just because the UN IPCC, or nasa, or some other part of government tells you something doesn't mean they are telling you the truth.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
[quote=Seabass Inna Bun;37340662]There is no more substantive answer.

Okay.

Global Analysis - September 2014 | State of the Climate | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

This September wouldn't be warmer than last September if the claim temperatures aren't increasing had merit.

Temperatures aren't increasing as they once were because the ocean makes a fine heat sink. That's the short version.

I doubt it. It's possibly incorrect, any scientific conclusion COULD be wrong, but being wrong isn't the same as false.

Ok....Seabass Inna Bun answered my question with some hard scientific numbers backing up the claim of climate change/global warming using the link above in his comments.

I'm not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination, but the charts/graphs/maps/numbers certainly make it look like the global average tempatures are increasing and and have been for some time.

So, my next challenge is addressed to someone who believes in what I've heard repeated often, that global warming not happened in the past 17 years or so. I've heard this repeated a number of times in other posts (not necessarily in this particular thread though), so I want someone who believes that is true.....to please explain to me how you've come to this conclusion and back it up with some scientific date from whatever source you choose. Each reader will be responsible for evaluating the reliability of said source.

So.....fire away with your explanation (with data to back it up from the source of your choice) as to how you came to the conclusion that global warming hasn't been happening for approximately the past 17 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies