Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
America didn't have prosperity under the "low regulation, small government" state. I'm baffled as to why so many people want to re-write history.
Obviously, you have no idea what prosperity is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Do you support public education and collective national defense?

Supporting national defense as prescribed by the Constitution isn't the same as supporting national education as prescribed by statists who can't conceive of individuals and local communities managing their own affairs.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Supporting national defense as prescribed by the Constitution isn't the same as supporting national education as prescribed by statists who can't conceive of individuals and local communities managing their own affairs.
That kind of "let us control every aspect of your life, or die cold and naked in terror" false choice... every time.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:53 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
I have never suspected that Europe is superior, secretly or otherwise. Therefore, the OP is wrong.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:56 PM

This reminds me of an aquaintance I made online. A nice enough guy named Marcin. One day while waiting for some compiling stuff to finish, our chat got to "life". He lived in Norway. He didn't have a job. He had welfare. He was paid to stay home with his pregnant girlfriend.

Eventually, after much discussion, he said he could not imagine having to be responsible for his own well-being. The idea that if he didn't earn a living, he'd lose his home and all his "stuff" he said would have been so stressful and panic-inducing he'd not even be able to think to work.

I kinda liked him before then.

After that, I could not get past him being a wimp of the highest order. Afraid of being on his own. A child, at nearly 30.

No wonder Europe is dying.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.

less freedom too, having a brother who is a citizen of Germany tells me enough. if you want to stay thyere, please do not come back. change your citizenship too.
the USA has never been and never will be europe.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
America didn't have prosperity under the "low regulation, small government" state. I'm baffled as to why so many people want to re-write history.
A certain level of prosperity is required before the welfare state can grow. You cannot get blood from a turnip.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:59 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A certain level of prosperity is required before the welfare state can grow. You cannot get blood from a turnip.
When genuine prosperity is absent, artificial prosperity can be supplanted.

This has been going on for some time now, at least on Wall Street.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:04 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Poverty is the main issue, but another equally important issue is how involved the parents are.
Education of the parents is certainly important. Education about a skill or craft or vocation, as well as the education to understand the cost and investments that is necessary to raise kids(s).
Another aspect is more focus on not allowing external fancy, temptation and other things break up a family.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:41 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
If only our leeches would move to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies