Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 10:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The school you go to is determined by zip code in Europe too. If you are born in the wrong area of Paris, then your school is going to be terrible. In Sweden some areas are 90% immigrant, one of the reason for that is because the schools are extremely terrible in those areas. No sane parents would ever let their kids grow up in those areas.

If that is what you want, then you should have called the thread
"my rich neighborhood in Brussels is better than the average American neighborhood, American needs to improve."
Instead of talking about how awesome Europe is based on a experience in a rich neighborhood in Brussels.

Also, do you know why American cities don't make better use of their space? If you are going to have a bike lane next to every road, then you need to make every road bigger, that is not free. And making subways in less dense cities is not cost effective and will not cover everyone. The fact that other people lived in cramped apartments, subsidized your subway and bike path. If everyone in Brussels had a house with 200 square meter like you, then Brussels would look more like American cities.

Yes, roads are costlier if you build them better. The roads here -- and pretty much all public infrastructure I've seen -- is better than the infrastructure in the US. Like American cities, Brussels has areas with large dwellings and small ones ... unlike America, those areas with larger houses still have excellent public infrastructure because they're attached (often, not always), built vertically and have small or no front yards. There are some areas in the US that build this way, but very few -- or I should say, not nearly enough to match the demand for them.

You think I lived in average neighborhoods in the US and then moved to a wealthy one in Europe? How does that work? I can somehow afford a better quality of life in a pricier, foreign country? That makes no sense. The neighborhood I live in in Brussels is comparable to those in lived in in the states. As my name implies, I used to live in Cobb County, GA -- an area known for being on wealthy side, but I was on the west side, not the east one... so it was definitely nice, but not uber nice. That's roughly where I am now, I think. (Hard to tell because I'm new to the city and country.) I'm comparing apples to apples and the European ones are better designed. The neighborhood I lived in in West Cobb didn't even get a sidewalk until a few years after I moved in ... the neighbors were so excited they all strolled up and down it once it was complete. I did too. That little narrow strip of pathetic concrete was a real treat for everyone. If only they can see what the promenades they're laying down in Brussels looks like.

As for your comment about life in Europe being better in a costlier area than life in a poorer area -- well duh. Of course. My point is that life in costlier European areas is better than life in costlier US areas. If I were comparing US slums to European slums, then I'm sure the European slums would win hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I lived nearby the Carrefour in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. I used to shop there occasionally. They had a massive, sprawling parking lot where it was always a snarl of cars to get in & out of. Not unlike the local Walmart parking lot here in St Paul, Mn. Point being is Carrefour isn't building rooftop parking lots in Brussels because they love innovation & progress. They're doing it because they have to. When given the opportunity to build massive, shopping mall style parking lot's they gladly do it. I'd bet that if Walmart had to open a store on a small urban footprint they'd build/park vertical as well. Also, the wages Carrefour paid the Dominicans were much closer to slave labor than the wages the employees make at a US Walmart. I'm not defending Walmart, just pointing out that Carrefour is the same in my experience.
You're proving my point, Mason. I don't think Carrefour is a magnanimous company that invests in well designed stores for the good of the communities they serve --- I think in Belgium, they're held to a higher standard for building because the government is doing a better job of looking out for the well being of its citizens. Carrefour has all of the tacky goodness (and cheap prices) of a Walmart -- pretty much the same thing, but here they have to pay their workers higher wages and build in ways that maintain the integrity of the areas their stores are located.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
We have a Carrefour as well, but I won't go in there, it is a foreign brand, don't want to give money to foreign brands unless I have no choice.
Is there a German equivalent of Carrefour?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Is there a German equivalent of Carrefour?
Since I have been living abroad for many years now I had to look it up. According to Wiki there are Rewe, Metro, Globus, Kaufland and Marktkauf. The last time I bought something in Germany, there were still Walmart centers, but they have long disappeared.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:26 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
I am skeptical that those representing Europe who post on this forum are the norm of visitors and locals who live on the continent. Europe is not to be compared with US. It's old world charm. You appreciate Europe by letting go of the expectation that good = spaciousness, speedy conveniences, compliance with American standards. You let go of that and you find all the things Europe offers that we don't have an equivalent for in the US, such as 11th century architecture, cultures of an older time that are not pointless just because they aren't in style anymore, fine art that no money today can produce, and urban street design, language diversity, fresh soil for growing the ripest fruits and veggies you will ever eat because we don't have a climate zone in the US like Europe's on the volcanic enriched Mediterranean soil, and politics that is much less black and white.

Those cultures are disappearing at an alarming rate. With a muslim birthrate in Europe of 11 muslims to 1 European, you guys will be under Sharia law soon enough.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:28 AM

So, since you are from greater Atlanta, do you miss seeing a skyline
I guess I would miss the Appalachians if I were in your shoes

Old 11-18-2014, 11:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.
"Nice, dense neighborhoods"??
No, thanks, I am quite happy with my 3 bedroom 2 bath rancher on 1 2/3 acres.
Not much poverty around here, either.
No, we don't have "public transit", but then we don't have the high taxes to make up the difference in what the riders don't pay.
Montana has sensible gun laws, IMO. The violent crime rate isn't all that bad, either. In fact, much of the violent crime here is by out of state people, not permanent residents.
You are right, I have never been to Europe, and have no desire to go.
Since there is such a huge part of the United States I haven't seen, I have no desire to go to Canada or Mexico, either. I would much rather spend my money IN the United States, seeing OUR historical sites and natural wonders!
Since you are so very happy in Brussels, I recommend that you STAY there.
I am very happy where I am, as well. I fully intend to stay here.
Sorry, but I have never thought that Europe was "superior" to the United States in any way. You certainly haven't changed my mind one iota!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Well, some people are curious about other cultures, others content with the place they know...

Guns and gun laws are not even a topic in European cities. Except for policemen I have never seen anyone with a gun in all of my life. Just talking about guns would make people wonder what you are up to.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:47 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
I'm an American who recently moved to Brussels. The quality of life here is so much better. Nice, dense neighborhoods, good public transit, very little signs of poverty, well paid workers, polite manners, sensible laws about guns, much lower rate of violent crime - the list goes on. If only America wasn't infested with ignorant republican yahoos, it too could enjoy the full benefits of being a western democracy. It's such a shame the non Yankee element keeps America from reaching it's potential.

i invite you to stay where you are, and invite all those who think like you to join you.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Wander if Op has a visa request to immigrate or just idle wiht too much time on hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies