Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 11:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think I will pass on public transit. I hate people.
If there's one thing that I see that really characterizes the American Right, it's the anti-social attitude many have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If there's one thing that I see that really characterizes the American Right, it's the anti-social attitude many have.
Yes. So true. Anti social sums it up right. They hate people, crowds and think others are just vile and up to no good. Such a cynical attitude toward life. I suspect they harbor repressed feelings from getting screwed over by someone.

Some of them can be almost sociopathic with their utter lack of empathy toward others.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:58 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,660,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes. So true. Anti social sums it up right. They hate people, crowds and think others are just vile and up to no good. Such a cynical attitude toward life. I suspect they harbor repressed feelings from getting screwed over by someone.

Some of them can be almost sociopathic with their utter lack of empathy toward others.
I think it's more of a "country" thing than just right/left.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:04 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I think it's more of a "country" thing than just right/left.
There are right-wingers on here who live in major metropolitan areas that exhibit similar personality characteristics

Old 11-28-2014, 01:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Quote:
Yep, yep -- hence my very first post on this thread. In America, we can have everything Europeans have -- in bigger and better ways -- if it weren't for one thing... our Right. There is nothing quite like our Right here in Europe and that opens up a world of possibilities.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,069,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
People living in Europe spend way less money then Americans in Transportation, Education and Health Care. While Americans pride themselves in low wages, increased expenses in College Education, maintaining car even in horribly low salaries and expensive Health Care means that Americans are caught up in this viscious cycle of poverty and debt. We just cannot compare absolute salary figures between America and other countries, it costs a lot to survive in America.
Hogwash. The only thing you are right about is health care. Most Europeans does need a car, as the busses do not go everywhere, it is slow, and can be expensive if you are a big family. Also, only big cities have proper public transport and then you need to deal with even higher property prices.

That is why most Europeans have a car, but having a car in Europe is much more expensive than America, so they cannot afford buying the car they want. College education does not need to be very expensive in the US and is not always free in Europe. In addition houses are much cheaper.

Actually in America the problem is that many do not save enough. If you get a Toyota Corolla, a common European car, and find yourself a small house with less than 100 square meter in for instance Houston, then with an median salary you will not struggle with debt at all. People here seem to think Europe as some kind of dream land, but no one (except expats) is immigrating. They totally ignore the unemployment rate, and the high property prices combined with the low income. But if you live in Europe, not on an expat salary, then you will be painfully aware of it.

Last edited by Camlon; 11-28-2014 at 04:00 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 04:48 AM

39,182 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think I will pass on public transit. I hate people.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Generalization is a form of exaggeration. Yes?

Old 11-28-2014, 04:57 AM

39,182 posts, read 27,570,476 times
One thing I love about Europe is pastry. But America has much better diversity of junk food.

Before the Europeans talk about obesity problem in America, well, I was a college athlete, and I have always been 5'7" and 117lb ever since I was in high school. I just LOVE American junk food.

and why don't Europeans talk about their public toilets/bathroom situation? LOL hahahahaha

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-28-2014 at 05:06 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 04:58 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,768,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
The straight ticket conservatives are upset that practices of govt outside their ideals provides better results.

America's economic mobility myth - Dec. 9, 2013

You can google it to your hearts content. We are not number one.....period. We can be but the first step to resolving an issue is acknowledging there is one.
Where did Katiana claimed we were number 1? And have you lived in any of those countries? Also, your article seems rather one-sided on the whole topic as it is rather broad and only seems to point out rural areas and inner cities. A more balanced article from The Economist:

Class in America: Mobility, measured | The Economist

Old 11-28-2014, 05:03 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
One thing I love about Europe is pastry. But America has much better diversity of junk food.

Before the Europeans talk about obesity problem in America, well, I was a college athlete, and I have always been 5'7" and 117lb ever since I was in high school. I just LOVE American junk food.

and why don't Europeans talk about their public toilets/bathroom situation? LOL hahahahaha
Very good point about public toilets. Again, I can only really speak about Brussels here. But wow. They invest heavily in public infrastructure and it shows - nice parks, roads, trails, paths, etc. Public toilets though? Non existent or very gross. So yeah, when it comes to toilets USA all the way.

I'm not a big junk food eater, but it seems like you can get pretty much the same stuff here. Far less fast food though, which is fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies