Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:49 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

What we are about to see in Obama's final two years is a hissy fit of epic proportions. Long after the love afair has ended, the glamour and celebrity have worn off, his one time closest confidants don't want to be seen with him, and the chances of leaving a lasting legacy are slipping away, he's going to do everything he can to be as obstructionist as possible. He's going to stop at nothing, including breaking the law, to implement his agenda and retain some form of relevancy.....

He's a man on the edge with nothing to lose, and there's nothing more dangerous than someone with nothing to lose.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 11-15-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Yes the bloom is definitely off the rose. He's pissed off a lot of people, even the ones who put him in office. He is no visionary leader. I hate saying that but it's true.
Mark this date on the calender natalie..... for once, you and I wholeheartedly agree on something!

This calls for a celebration! +1 for you!

I voted for him, and am very dissapointed.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:52 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What we are about to see in Obama's final two years is a hissy fit of epic proportions. Long after the love afair is over, the glamour and celebrity have worn off, his one time closest confidants don't want to be seen with him, and the chances of leaving a lasting legacy have all but vanished, he's going to do everything he can to be as obstructionist as possible. He's going to stop at nothing, including breaking the law, to implement his agenda and "fundamentally tranform America".....

He's a man on the edge with nothing to lose, and thee's nothing more dangerous than someone with nothing to lose.
Spot on!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Mark this date on the calender natalie..... for once, you and I wholeheartedly agree on something!

This calls for a celebration! +1 for you!

I voted for him, and am very dissapointed.
LOL who would have figured we would ever agree on anything.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
LOL who would have figured we would ever agree on anything.
Anything's possible I guess.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:57 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Obama will never be lonely as long as he has Valerie Jarrett by his side. She is after all the puppet master in their relationship.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,219 times
Quote:
What we are about to see in Obama's final two years is a hissy fit of epic proportions. Long after the love afair has ended, the glamour and celebrity have worn off, his one time closest confidants don't want to be seen with him, and the chances of leaving a lasting legacy are slipping away, he's going to do everything he can to be as obstructionist as possible. He's going to stop at nothing, including breaking the law, to implement his agenda and retain some form of relevancy.....

He's a man on the edge with nothing to lose, and there's nothing more dangerous than someone with nothing to lose.
True. Maybe he figured out that his legacy isn't going to be as great as he had planned (that he was the greatest president to occupy the WH) and in light of that he figures going out with a legacy based on disaster is worth more than going out with a mediocre legacy?

Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:

Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 AM

148 posts, read 149,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Republicans don't like him, Democrats are deserting, Harry Reid gives him looks of disdain, foreign leaders have no respect, he's lost much of the press.
This is an interesting, yet (I'd argue) a very-overconfident narrative. To see if your (and the WSJ's) opinion is actually founded in fact, let's look at some of the statistics behind some of your assertions about Obama in comparison to other presidents at this point in their tenures. In this specific case, we only really need a comparison to one other president. Guess who it'll be.

George W. Bush.*

Let's do this.
Quote:
Republicans don't like him...
Obviously, Republicans don't exactly like Obama as much as Bush, which makes sense, considering partisanship and all. For the sake of fairness, it would make much more sense statistically to compare the approval rating of the members of the opposition party at the time...Dems during Bush, Reps during Obama. We can compare in this area using midterm election results and general approval rating. We'll grab their respective approval ratings from these two sites.
Bush Job Approval: 38%
Presidential Job Approval Center
For Bush, his approval rating from Dems as of December 2006 was 9%, and he lost 31 House seats and 6 Senate seats in the 2006 election. Obama's approval rating from Reps is currently 9%, and he lost 12 House seats and 9 Senate seats. So that's pretty much a draw.
Quote:
...Democrats are deserting...
Again, since it would be unfair to see how Democrats "deserted" Bush (Spoiler alert: they totes did!) in comparison to Dems deserting Obama, we'll test this by comparing how much their own party deserted their leaders in the arena of public opinion over the span of one year.** Bush's approval rating among Republicans decreased about 4 points between Jan. 2006 and Dec. 2006 (http://media.gallup.com/POLL/Releases/pr061212ii.gif), while Obama's increased by 1. Obama is ever so slightly less lonely by this metric.
Quote:
...Harry Reid gives him looks of disdain...
C'mon man. I don't know how to quantify looks of disdain. Do we need a panel of judges for that? Could Senator Frist look at Bush with disdain until lasers came out? Ugh. It's a draw.
Quote:
...foreign leaders have no respect...
Fiddlehead --- who, by the way, is the ONLY person in this god-damned thread full of weeping and gnashing of teeth to actually provide any statistics backing him up whatsoever --- already basically answered this part using his information from CNN and Gallup. Of course, everybody apparently ignored these stats and continued said weeping and gnashing, so here they are again.
Global Image of U.S. Leadership Rebounds
How the world sees Obama – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs
There, he shows that there is a 8 point difference between '07 Bush and '14 Obama. And in Europe, where one could argue is the place where a lot of the conventional "world leaders" are, approval ratings for Obama right now are 22 points higher than Bush. Obama's the cool kid in comparison, and wins easily.
Quote:
...he's lost much of the press.
Can't really quantify this either, but aren't conservatives complaining all the time about the "LIBERAL LAMESTREAM MEDIA" or something like that? If that's a thing, then Bush lost the press somewhere around 2002. Also, Bush got pimp-slapped by Stephen Colbert at the '07 White House Correspondents Dinner, when everybody in the media almost literally laughed in the president's face. I dunno, it's late, who cares, Obama wins.

So, in conclusion, I disagree with the narrative in this thread. Obama's not the loneliest president. Second loneliest? Sure, maybe, I guess.

Wait, hold on, I forgot about Ford.

...okay, so...3rd loneliest.

...wow, this post is long.

*Yeah, I know what's coming. "IT'S BEEN 6 YEARS BRO STOP COMPARING NOBAMA TO-"...no, the WSJ article says "since Nixon." Bush happened after Nixon. He counts.
**I guess we could also test it by showing the percentage that each president's congressional caucus voted with or against them over the span of a year, but I don't know where that information is and if we're going to be honest, I'm a teensy bit too drunk to find it.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:43 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dempsey's Left Foot View Post
This is an interesting, yet (I'd argue) a very-overconfident narrative. To see if your (and the WSJ's) opinion is actually founded in fact, let's look at some of the statistics behind some of your assertions about Obama in comparison to other presidents at this point in their tenures. In this specific case, we only really need a comparison to one other president. Guess who it'll be.

George W. Bush.*

Let's do this.
Obviously, Republicans don't exactly like Obama as much as Bush, which makes sense, considering partisanship and all. For the sake of fairness, it would make much more sense statistically to compare the approval rating of the members of the opposition party at the time...Dems during Bush, Reps during Obama. We can compare in this area using midterm election results and general approval rating. We'll grab their respective approval ratings from these two sites.
Bush Job Approval: 38%
Presidential Job Approval Center
For Bush, his approval rating from Dems as of December 2006 was 9%, and he lost 31 House seats and 6 Senate seats in the 2006 election. Obama's approval rating from Reps is currently 9%, and he lost 12 House seats and 9 Senate seats. So that's pretty much a draw.
Again, since it would be unfair to see how Democrats "deserted" Bush (Spoiler alert: they totes did!) in comparison to Dems deserting Obama, we'll test this by comparing how much their own party deserted their leaders in the arena of public opinion over the span of one year.** Bush's approval rating among Republicans decreased about 4 points between Jan. 2006 and Dec. 2006 (http://media.gallup.com/POLL/Releases/pr061212ii.gif), while Obama's increased by 1. Obama is ever so slightly less lonely by this metric.
C'mon man. I don't know how to quantify looks of disdain. Do we need a panel of judges for that? Could Senator Frist look at Bush with disdain until lasers came out? Ugh. It's a draw..

Remember the many seats Obama lost in 2010?
It was historical in nature.
There would have been more if more were up for election at that time also.
Not quite what I would call a draw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies