Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM

259 posts, read 789,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
A fact or which I'm fortunate.

Ahhh, have some wine and live longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
In Europe the drinking age is lower so if a soldier drink off base it is legal according to that country's laws. BUT on base is a different story.

Incorrect, an 18 year old stationed lets say in Greece can buy alcohol on base and drink at the base bar.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 PM

259 posts, read 789,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Incorrect, an 18 year old stationed lets say in Greece can buy alcohol on base and drink at the base bar.
Oh, okey Bur they are still not any more responsible.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 PM

No they are not.

I was security watch commander while overseas, I was at a NATO base and the only people we had problems with were other Americans.

Every other NATO country did just fine, no incidents, nothing, pull an American ship in and we always have to have extra security and always have trouble with people that get drunk and want to get into fights.

It got so bad they actually restricted people right after I left.

I think its due to we put some tabboo on alcohol, so it becomes some forbidden fruit and when gotten a hold of, abused.

Seems countries where alcohol is not demonized, people are much better at handling it as a whole.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I think its due to we put some tabboo on alcohol, so it becomes some forbidden fruit and when gotten a hold of, abused.

Seems countries where alcohol is not demonized, people are much better at handling it as a whole.
I wholeheartedly agree; I was going to say the same thing. Let me expound on the taboo premise.

I think groups like M.A.D.D. and desperate politicians have promoted an unhealthy attitude towards alcohol. This attitude could be from the residue of the temperance movement of the 19th century. M.A.D.D. represents members who have experienced the dark side of alcohol and really want it to be gone because of this one abusive experience, drunk driving, while the politicians need someone or something weak and defenseless to scapegoat or demonized in order to garner votes (see racism, nativism/immigration, homophobia, anti-Catholicism, etc.).

I plan to work on ageism after my three little issues are settled: metrication, introducing the dollar coin, and ending Daylight Saving Time. (The fourth concerned the Digital TV transition but viewership among youth is declining anyway, so it's pointless.)

Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 PM

metric - yes
dollar coin - yes
daylight savings - yes, keep it on what ever summer is
digital - this was because they needed to open up air waves for other things if i recall correctly.

I think its funny at church everyone drinks wine during certain days of the year and gets a sip of it every sunday. EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
2. Unlike civilians, a military enlistee is under the command of an Officer. If that enlistee misuses his privledge and gets into trouble with the local law, he has to answer to his commanding officer too and the punishment that the military can inflict is harsher than the punishment civilian authorities inflict for alcohol offenses. Therfore the soldier would likely be more responsible in his consumptio

A soldier in the military is NOT any more responsible then other 18 year olds when it comes to the boos. I can guarantee you that. I think 18 is a good age.

I can tell you from personal experience that soldiers are. We were told in the USAF that, while we could drink, if there were ANY infractions- on base or off base- that we would face punishment. And I know of 2 cases where base restrictions and fines were placed on airmen who got into trouble off base drinking. They were, in effect, "grounded" to the base for periods of 30 to 60 days.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Bad idea, because many soldiers join the armed forces at 17 or 18, directly out of high school. College isn't for everybody and military service is an honorable alternative.
I'm 17 and in the military
I'm not much of a drinker but its true that after a really hard workout all day I would like to be able to LEGALLY enjoy a cold beer or even a simple mixed drink.
I took on the responsibility to fight for our country and if I'm mature enough to do that I'm sure I'm mature enough to handle responsible drinking.

but thats just my opinion....

Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,448 times
There are a lot of 21 year olds who aren't mature enough to drink.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
There are a lot of 21 year olds who aren't mature enough to drink.
Just as I am sure that there are a lot of 40 or 60 year olds who aren't mature enough to drink....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies