Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,375,559 times

Advertisements

Personally, I consider anyone between the ages of 12 and 20 to be temporarily insane and should be treated accordingly. However, I find myself in agreement with the OP. If we are going to use the arbitrary age of 18 to signify an adult, then anyone who is 18 or older should be given all of the adult privileges along with all the adult responsibilities.

If they can be sent to war or allowed to vote, then they should at the very least be allowed to drink. If we are going to treat them as adults under the law when it comes to punishment when they do something wrong, then they should have the same privileges as any other adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:36 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,141,237 times
Default When the cutoff was 18

I can remember when the drinking age was 18 in my home state. The odd thing is that many restaurants (and even some liquor stores) would not sell alcohol to anyone under 21! So there was some self-regulation.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 70,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I can remember when the drinking age was 18 in my home state. The odd thing is that many restaurants (and even some liquor stores) would not sell alcohol to anyone under 21! So there was some self-regulation.
Lets see them try that now. Kids are smarter now. Any establishment trying to pull that would get sued out of business, and rightfully so.

Refusing to serve someone based on their age, even though the law allows for it, is not much better than the "whites only" signs of the past.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,693,358 times
18 year old males cause too much trouble when they drink. If I had my way the age for males would be 25 and the age for females 18 or 19.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:03 PM

919 posts, read 1,904,114 times
I will buy a drink for anybody in the military. old enough to serve you're old enough to drink. having the drinking age at 21 would not have saved a single person who served in viet nam. (my war). for those that think they are saving young people from themselves need to get OVER yourself.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:41 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,665,041 times
The drinking age should be lowered. The drinking age should correspond with the legal age of majority.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:30 AM

309 posts, read 363,278 times
Lotsa good posts on this subject.
Alcohol use and its abuse is such a touchy thing and brings out the hypocrisy and insanity of our society to its fullest.
I agree too, that if you are in the military or off in war....you should DEFINITELY be able to legally drink.
There was a time....or there may still be some states that allow the "gradual" age of alcohol consumption to coincide with the beverage.....like 3.2% beer for 18 yr. olds?
Overall though.....its stupid and the fact IS......whoever said drinking alcohol was a RIGHT? Maybe a priviledge......but NOT a right.
Don't forget......it WAS ILLEGAL for EVERYONE for a brief moment in time in America (Prohibition)........What a HUGE MISTAKE that was!
Fortunately.......the gov. was SMART enough to REPEAL that dumb amendment. Too bad that they haven't recognized the same parallels with DRUG PROHIBITION and all the crime and corruption IT has with it......just like with alcohol prohibition.
Nope.......IMHO.....I believe alcohol to be far more dangerous and insideous overall within American society than many substances that ARE illegal for anyone of any age and its use NEEDS to be treated with far more respect!
I personally feel that marijuana SHOULD be LEGAL for anyone 18+......but alcohol.....21+ (unless in the military OR.......just leave such laws to the individual STATE or even municipality).
I also believe America could do a far better job at discouraging alcohol use altogether, completely prohibit ALL advertising of it and/or show far MORE PSA's showing the horrific side of alcohol ABUSE and the damage it inflicts on society as a whole!
Responsible marijuana use (in moderation), IMO........IS a GREAT ALTERNATIVE to drinking and an alternative that SHOULD be available.....LEGALLY......to ALL (or, at least those 18+)......who want another recreational CHOICE for a "social lubricant" party favor and it would give those "kids" under 21......a LEGAL alternative to a society that has been too ingrained to alcohol use for far too long! To truly SEE the damage done on society from alcohol abuse.......and hopefully.......start changing the tide in favor of a SAFER, more laid-back, open-minded, mellow, munchie-grubbin' way of life for America's social scene in the future.......drifting away from any glamour envisioned in alcohol use and IT'S association with the "good times", after work and weekends.
Oh.....the alcohol industry sure wouldn't like this though.....would they?!
But hey, its not so much about WHAT the substance IS.........just that ANY form of inebriation or being "under the influence"......of anything.....is SERIOUSLY frowned on by the Powers-that-be and moral crusaders who would love to see a society COMPLETELY........free of drunks, dopers and cigarette smokers........and join them in their morning jogs, clean and fat-free, sober livin!
Many believe it to be criminal to just WANT to alter your perceptions and state of mind........at least through ANY chemical.......UNLESS its approved by the FDA and you got it by prescription after suggesting to your doctor it would help you like the commercial said. Then its OK. And the pharmaceutical companies prosper alongside the insurance companies, Medicare/Aid, etc.
What a JOKE of mixed messages this nation has always been and full of hipocrasy, lies and propaganda......and the kids SEE THIS crap and right through it all......at an early age.
NO MIND-ALTERING SUBSTANCE SHOULD EVER, EVER BE CONDONED OR GLORIFIED IN ANY WAY!!!!!

Then again.......WHY have ANY age restrictions on ANY mind-altering substance at all?
Driving on them? Yeah.
Working under the influence? yeah.
But JUST imbiding on them in the safety and comfort of home, backyard BBQ or campout? WHY?
Cause......the moral crusaders' sole purpose is to save everyone from themself......OR make it their personal, modern-day witchunt to punish and persecute!
Join them.......or else! They seek you out, demand more jails be built because you "offend" or "repulse" them......your NOT one of them!
YOU are a threat for WHAT you MIGHT do or MIGHT become...........a threat worthy of automatically making you a criminal out of their worst FEAR.
I say.........PUNISH someone AFTER they got irresponsible for what harm they inflicted AFTER-the fact.........but provide everyone, equal, fair, truthful information, fair and equal punishment/treatment......and not the BS propaganda and lies.....(regarding EACH substance)!! FAIR justice in any punishment/treatment/rehabilitation IS needed for a fiend or misfit that is not based in racism, socioeconomic status, stereotypes, LIES or FEAR, etc, etc. and LET people HAVE FREEDOM of CHOICE in this country.........including the inate human nature to alter one's OWN consciousness, seek relief and/or explore self identity with chemicals.......as safely as possible and legally.....NOT A PROHIBITIVE, THREATENING, "Zero-tolerance" attitude or legislation based on ancient beliefs, attitudes, fears, racism and conformity!
If its ADDICTION......that is the crime..........then why not start locking up all the gambling addicts? Sex addicts? Adrenaline addicts (Skydivers, racecar drivers, or ANYONE who lives dangerously or recklessly)???
This is ALL a social/mental health issue more than anything.......but treated in a barbaric fashion through laws making it the cornerstone of the Prison Industrial Complex instead.
Conform or be cast out?!
Where's the FREEDOM and RIGHT to one's Pursuit of HAPPINESS in that??
UN-American as it gets, IMO!

Last edited by Skytripper; 01-03-2008 at 12:54 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 AM

112 posts, read 179,801 times
I just turned 21 last feb, I have to say that I really lost the thrill to drink as much as I did beforehand.. Alcohol is never hard to get for anyone under 21, the only difference is now I can actually go buy it myself/go to bars..

I guess it was the thrill of being underage and doing it because now I really get trashed all that much.. I do go to parties at school/friends but even now I don't drink as much as I did before I turned 21. Kinda funny :/

Old 01-03-2008, 08:28 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,141,237 times
Default Age Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post
Lets see them try that now. Kids are smarter now. Any establishment trying to pull that would get sued out of business, and rightfully so.

Refusing to serve someone based on their age, even though the law allows for it, is not much better than the "whites only" signs of the past.
In order to allege age discrimination in employment, a person has to be over 40. Many entertainment outlets [bars and discos] now require that a person has to be 25 years old to enter. Its not against the law.

Racially excusionary laws produced an oppressed class of people. That's far different than an age requirement.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times
I was drinking in selected bars when I was 16 in a legal age 18 state. Then I went to 'Nam and sobered up.

Male drinkers, at any age, cause trouble. So do female drinkers.

Same thoughts also apply to other recreational drugs. They all should be legal at military age and controlled, regulated and taxed. The tax money should be used for rehab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies