Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,156,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We conservatives WANT to help the disabled.....NOT the unwilling.

Gregg Abbott is disabled AND working. He was just elected Governor of Texas.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:38 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,073,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
First question is: Are states reinstating a work requirement for food stamps due to an improving economy, because food stamp issuance is killing their budgets, some political reason (Why did the governor of Maine wait until after his re-election to do it?), concern for the taxpayers in their state shouldering the burden, some other reason?

Second question is: To your knowledge, did any politician at any level of government in your state campaign on the issue of taxpayers bearing the burden of government "free stuff"/food stamps/welfare in 2014?
I think it's stupid, because it doesn't solve the problem.

What is the problem? The real problem?

The real problem is those people do not know how to set up and run a household budget, and have little understanding of personal or household finances.

The best thing that we as a responsible society could do, is to educate those people.

The federal government needs to get the hell out of the Food Stamp extortion business and turn it over to the States.

I know the control-freak *******s are going to be running around like a raped ape, since every State will establish its own unique criteria and there will be a total lack of uniformity and chaos and that will reduce the amount of top-soil in the US and increase CO2 emissions.

As shocking as it may be, the US is not Iceland or Norway and not every State has a volcano and fjords.

The point being, demographics, geology, geography, topography, climate, weather, hydrology, agriculture and such impact the Cost-of-Living and the Economies (plural) uniquely in each of the 50 States and Commonwealths. States should tailor their programs to account for the tremendous diversity that *******s hate with a passion.

Instead of handing out Food Stamps, the States should be reimbursing families.

Each month, a qualified Food Stamp recipient would sit down with a counselor. They'd go over the household budget, offer encouragement, provide advice and strategies, make adjustments to the household budget if necessary, and then review the receipts for that month, and then on a line-item basis, allow or disallow the reimbursement of food purchases.

In that way, you teach and educate people.....to empower them.....so that they can be independent of the nanny-State.

At the same time, you are no longer enabling bad behaviors like gambling, alcohol or substance abuse, unnecessary tobacco use, etc etc etc, and reduce the costs of those bad behaviors to society.

Conservatively...

Mircea

Old 11-16-2014, 12:46 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The real problem is those people do not know how to set up and run a household budget, and have little understanding of personal or household finances.

The best thing that we as a responsible society could do, is to educate those people.

The federal government needs to get the hell out of the Food Stamp extortion business and turn it over to the States.

I know the control-freak *******s are going to be running around like a raped ape, since every State will establish its own unique criteria and there will be a total lack of uniformity and chaos and that will reduce the amount of top-soil in the US and increase CO2 emissions.

As shocking as it may be, the US is not Iceland or Norway and not every State has a volcano and fjords.

The point being, demographics, geology, geography, topography, climate, weather, hydrology, agriculture and such impact the Cost-of-Living and the Economies (plural) uniquely in each of the 50 States and Commonwealths. States should tailor their programs to account for the tremendous diversity that *******s hate with a passion.

Each month, a qualified Food Stamp recipient would sit down with a counselor. They'd go over the household budget, offer encouragement, provide advice and strategies, make adjustments to the household budget if necessary, and then review the receipts for that month, and then on a line-item basis, allow or disallow the reimbursement of food purchases.

In that way, you teach and educate people.....to empower them.....so that they can be independent of the nanny-State.

At the same time, you are no longer enabling bad behaviors like gambling, alcohol or substance abuse, unnecessary tobacco use, etc etc etc, and reduce the costs of those bad behaviors to society.

Conservatively...

Mircea
And who is going to pay for all those monthly financial counseling sessions?

This absolutely at least starts to tackle the problem, which is mostly just laziness. There's no incentive to work when you can eat and have all your bills paid despite sitting on the couch chugging Natural Lite all day. Require that they work and the primary attraction of being a leech goes away.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:48 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,145,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What would conservatives say if a food stamp recipient chose to fulfill the work requirement by volunteering as a community organizer?
You mean like that idiot in the WH that idiots voted in for "free" stuff?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,145,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Political grandstanding.

Most people who receive welfare are working. They just make so little they qualify for food stamps.
Then they need to go where the jobs are. N. Dakota is screaming for workers.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:49 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,378,383 times
Quote:

That is one of the problems, but not the whole problem.

The issue is lack of opportunity for a lot of these people along with a general neglect from the rest of society. These folks aren't making a lot of money; have little to no skills, and have limited hope for any kind of personal advancement. If the choice is between food and training, humans are going to pick food.

The drug abuse doesn't even highlight most of the problem; which is generational poverty and stagnant wages (working poor).

Quote:
Oh yea... the tired "states do it better" excuse.

Every time we try that experiment, we get a collection of liberal states outperforming their conservative counterparts. Conservative states have a trend of not providing for their most vulnerable until they are forced to by big government. We could probably conclude that beyond the rhetoric, conservative states really have no desire to help their poorest residents.

Quote:

It's not diversity "*******s" get upset about; its that "blue" states that provide for their vulnerable are constantly on the "giving" side of the Federal balance sheet when compared with "red" states.

Quote:

This is one of your better ideas. This definitely should be something that makes it into legislatures.

Quote:

Conservatively...

Mircea
I agree. However, this still doesn't address the structural problems of generational poverty. A lot of these folks are trapped in bad situations where their "representatives" are dragging the rug right from under them instead of helping.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,347,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The question is directed at people who pay their own way and aren't a drag on other Americans.

How many hours do you work a month to earn the money to pay for your healthcare, food, housing, utilities?

Just keep in mind, the welfare group get all this for nothing and still b*tch. They disrespanything at all about an exit strategy.ect you, they couldn't care less that you bust your ass to pay their way, they just want more of your money.

Millions of homeowners can pay for their housing with fewer work hours due to generous tax breaks.

Not to mention the big tax-free windfall many get when they sell.

The recipients walk in, are disrespected, they know it.

SNAP does nothing to promote self-sufficiency. I once had a menial dead-end job and $25/mo in food stamps. I qualified under a temporary 'stimulus' expansion because I was paying an arm and leg to rent a room in a house. The caseworker's job was simply to crunch the numbers (after-tax income, minus out of pocket housing and medical expenses). Nothing about how I might find a cheaper place to live or how I might get a better job or getting ahead or any sort of exit strategy. At least with TANF they supposedly do work out an exit plan.

33,507 posts, read 18,033,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
It's not slavery, nobody is forcing you to take food stamps or other benefits, if you don't want to work you don't have to accept the benefits.

Plenty of us worked crappy low paying jobs, for low pay, and didn't take food stamps or such. I recall the day I was standing in a checkout line with my mac and cheese and hamburger while the guy in front of me paid for a steak with food stamps. Good for him I guess, glad I could help out with my tax money, thank God Reagan came in and lowered my taxes!
I have seen that too... food stamp recipients buying precut fruit platters, expensive party platters, etc..

7,846 posts, read 6,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Then they need to go where the jobs are. N. Dakota is screaming for workers.
Are you going to pay for their relocation to N. Dakota?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:53 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,035,304 times
Define exactly what you mean by access to work. The Devil, she is in the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I don't have a problem with work requirements, as long as the government guarantees that anyone wanting food stamps will have access to that work. Otherwise, you're just guaranteeing that some families will not have enough food.

Last edited by earthlyfather; 11-16-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies