Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:25 AM

125 posts, read 282,386 times

Advertisements

I never understood why people have so much contempt for fat people. It's not always their fault. And even if it is what business is it of anyone else's?

What do fat people do to other to deserve such treatment? They're not hurting anyone beside themselves. It just really irks me. People need to grow up and mind their own f'n business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:29 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Racism, sexism, disabilities, are out of style, verboten....non PC...., but fat people are still OK to make fun of in society, that's why. Certain people feel superior by putting others down and they always find a scapegoat to bully.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:38 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantra View Post
What do fat people do to other to deserve such treatment?
Humans are aesthetic creatures. We like to look at beautiful things. You're excessive adipose is not pretty to look at, especially when eating. Human blobbies are offensive to look at.

Quote:
They're not hurting anyone beside themselves.
False. Your chronic fattiness costs everybody else money in the form of lost production, medical care, increased handicapped public space usage, etc.

Fat people also pose a public health risk. It's not safe to fly with a 600 lb. person weighing down one side of the plane-

Old 11-11-2014, 11:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
I never understood why people have so much contempt for fat people. It's not always their fault. And even if it is what business is it of anyone else's?

What do fat people do to other to deserve such treatment? They're not hurting anyone beside themselves. It just really irks me. People need to grow up and mind their own f'n business.
I know.....

It is the last safe prejudice.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:41 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Humans are aesthetic creatures. We like to look at beautiful things. You're excessive adipose is not pretty to look at, especially when eating. Human blobbies are offensive to look at.

False. Your chronic fattiness costs everybody else money in the form of lost production, medical care, increased handicapped public space usage, etc.

Fat people also pose a public health risk. It's not safe to fly with a 600 lb. person weighing down one side of the plane-

You make a good case for personal responsibility as in people making their own choices and living with the consequences. Wouldn't you feel better if you didn't have to worry about what everyone else is eating, drinking smoking etc
As far as your airplane scenario, this is a situation for private airline carriers to address.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:49 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times
Because for the most part, fat people lack discipline. We Americans like discipline. If you're fat, eat less, walk more. Simple equation to burning fat and losing weight.
And the whole "it's not their fault' argument? That holds true for a very small percentage of people with some type of thyroid problem.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

1. I can only hope you were joking about the 600lb person tilting the plane. (I can't see the picture though so that's a distinct possibility.)

2. Smokers & Fat people ironically cost society less than non-fat people in that they don't live long enough to collect retirement and other benefits, it's just that the really healthy people don't start incurring lots of medical costs until their later years.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:04 PM

778 posts, read 824,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Because for the most part, fat people lack discipline. We Americans like discipline. If you're fat, eat less, walk more. Simple equation to burning fat and losing weight.
And the whole "it's not their fault' argument? That holds true for a very small percentage of people with some type of thyroid problem.
Because of this. Not because this is right, but this is the kind of attitude prevalent in society.

Being fat is seen as a moral failing. If we had more willpower, if we were smart enough to think with our brains and not our fat, fat stomachs, we wouldn't be so freakin' fat. And so because being fat IS a moral failing, it makes it 100% acceptable to mock fat people for being fatty fat fat fats.

And I say "we" since I am a person who could stand to lose about 80 pounds.

I don't deny my level of personal responsibility for my fatness, of course. I got fat pretty young, and there's some evidence suggesting that once you're overweight it becomes harder to lose that weight, but at this point in my life I'm fat mostly due to my own actions.

Being fat and being aware of my fat doesn't somehow make me less human, or immune to being hurt by cruelty or any of that. I still enjoy being treated like a person, even if I am a fairly wide one.

And as an aside to lenniel and others of the same mindset, 'it's not their fault' may not apply to many people, but remember that just like anything else, fat people can have other health issues. A person who also has asthma, arthritis, a chronic pain or fatigue disorder, depression, or anything like that has compounding medical factors that can make losing weight or keeping it off much more difficult. If a person doesn't have proper medical help in keeping those things controlled, then that may very well be out of their hands.

So as a fat person, I'm not saying you need to coddle fat people or tell a 300 pound person yet, that's perfectly healthy, have some more ice cream. But I don't think "treat us like people" is too extreme a position.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,681,326 times
Some skinny people should be happy overweight people exist. How else would they feel so good about themselves without having other people to look down on?

I have been on both sides of the aisle and when I was overweight I was treated like garbage. My eating behavior was related to my anxiety, PTSD and another health condition. But people still judged. They look at you in disgust; with a superior attitude....To some people you actually become invisible. It is like you are not a person deserving of respect. It can crush your soul.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:09 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:

No, it's pretty much always their fault. They may blame depression, metabolism, etc. but the fact remains that if you put more calories in your body than you burn, you will get fat.

I don't personally care if someone does that. I DO care that they live that way, then are supported by my tax dollars because they're unhealthy and too fat to work. If it just stayed their business, I could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies