Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:47 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,662,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Ah yes, the classic, "Global warming isn't real because it's cold today where I live."

AGW is true. The scientific consensus is basically unanimous. I don't know why conservatives have to **** and moan so much about it. The fact that the Earth is heating up due to AGW is not political, but for some reason, conservatives just kick and scream denying it thus making it a political issue. Most of the people screaming denial will probably be dead before we have to deal with the consequences anyways.

Also, hahahahhahaha at the OP's "No excuse for ignorance"
AGW is NOT true. The scientific consensus is basically unanimous.

And yes, AGW is all about politics and the rich getting richer off the backs of the poor and middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,426,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
That you think ice ages were being predicted in the 70's shows that you just parrot what your right-wing masters tell you to parrot without checking things out to see if they're right. I could show you what scientists were really saying in the seventies if you like, but I don't think it would change your mind. Your call: are you interested in facts or not?

Just because you were not alive yet to hear it for yourself, doesn't mean it never happened. Ask Maurice Strong.
Oh the Nixon and Carter days....
Where ignorance was bliss, like it is today.
Sucker! Selling ice to Eskimos takes scientific data....

Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,276,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
AGW is NOT true.
Oh? Please post this fascinating research that has overturned the past couple decades of work in this field. I'm very curious about it.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:59 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,276,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just because you were not alive yet to hear it for yourself, doesn't mean it never happened.
I think you're mistaking what you saw on the cover of Newsweek for science. Why don't you find out what scientists and not the editors of Newsweek had to say on the issue?

Old 11-17-2014, 01:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,859,350 times
Quote:
I think you're mistaking what you saw on the cover of Newsweek for science. Why don't you find out what scientists and not the editors of Newsweek had to say on the issue?

Great deflection. Point at something else...ooh look! a frog eating a snake!!

Old 11-17-2014, 01:15 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,426,521 times
Quote:
Oh? Please post this fascinating research that has overturned the past couple decades of work in this field. I'm very curious about it.

Earth’s Warming & Cooling

Information from other sources shows that the cycle has influenced Earth temperatures for at least 900,000 years.

There is no doubt that this cycle exists, but its connection to variations in solar activity could not be proven until satellite observations of the Sun became possible. Viewed from Earth small variations in the Sun are obscured by atmospheric effects. In November of 2001 George Bond et al., from Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, reported in Science that satellite data showed that the Earth’s climate and solar activity had been linked for 32,000 years.

In the 1970s concerned environmentalists like Stephen Schneider of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado feared a return to another ice age due to manmade atmospheric pollution blocking out the sun.
Since about 1940 the global climate did in fact appear to be cooling. Then a funny thing happened-- sometime in the late 1970s temperature declines slowed to a halt and ground-based recording stations during the 1980s and 1990s began reading small but steady increases in near-surface temperatures. Fears of "global cooling" then changed suddenly to "global warming,"

Global Warming:A Chilling Perspective

Global climate and temperature cycles are the result of a complex interplay between a variety of causes. Because these cycles and events overlap, sometimes compounding one another, sometimes canceling one another out, it is inaccurate to imply a statistically significant trend in climate or temperature patterns from just a few years or a few decades of data.
Unfortunately, a lot of disinformation about where Earth's climate is heading is being propagated by "scientists" who use improper statistical methods, short-term temperature trends, or faulty computer models to make analytical and anecdotal projections about the significance of man-made influences to Earth's climate.
During the last 100 years there have been two general cycles of warming and cooling recorded in the U.S. We are currently in the second warming cycle. Overall, U.S. temperaturesshow no significant warming trend over the last 100 years (1). This has been well - established but not well - publicized.

http://thenewalexandrialibrary.com/histwarmcool.html

Old 11-17-2014, 02:36 PM

109 posts, read 90,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And yet we toothless, geriatric white males somehow managed to accumulate 1% of the wealth. One would think that the brilliant progressives would have figured out that despite their Ivy League educations they aren't smarter than an orangutan and they are still reliant on their rich uncle sam to pay the bills.
You sir, are my hero.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:40 PM

109 posts, read 90,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Wow, "War on the Elderly, Christians, and rural citizens" all in one Dr. Doolittle!

Trapper John better watch out or you will be my new hero.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:47 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,389,766 times
Juke is my hero so feel free.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM

993 posts, read 1,761,147 times
Yes, this is a very natural jump we are seeing. http://scienceblogs.com/significantf...O2-400x294.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies