Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Insurance premiums increased by about 100% between 2000-2010, before the ACA. Who did you blame?

According to the NYT, 2015 premiums are expected to increase in about 1/5th of counties. Conversely, premiums will remain the same or decrease in about 4/5ths of counties.

Premiums are a reflection of the underlying costs of healthcare. Not for profit hospitals are not precluded from profits. Many hospitals make $ hundreds of millions in profit each year. Some of the major healthcare systems make more than $ billion in annual profit each year. Nothing wrong with profit, is there?

Healthcare costs are increasing all over the world as science finds new ways to keep us alive, despite otherwise unhealthy lifestyles/ choices. Both China and Japan, countries not particularily known for obestity, have made weight control their number one healthcare goal and have done so to significantly reduce heart disease, diabetes and certain Cancers and thus the cost of treating these otherwise preventable conditions.

Individual Plan Insurers have charged higher premiums to smokers for the past 15+/- years. The ACA did not preclude insurers from imposing higher premiums on smokers. Imagine premium reductions that could be achieved for those with a waist size in a normal range, if/ when the overweight were required to pay higher premiums, consistent with the increased risks of their lifestyle choices.
I blame the evil greedy insurance companies...and at the end of the day...they are still evil and even more greedy. They now have government blessings to be so.

I do like the existing conditions policy now and I think smokers should pay more. We are a family of healthy eaters, so no worries there.

Premiums are a reflection of the underlying costs and I attribute that to the increasing populace of poor, uneducated souls flooding into this country along with the populace of poor slobs in place. Why do we insist on importing more costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
AWESOME, cause I'm that typical American family...so where is it...

The left's play on words is AMAZING....

Just like "My plan begins by covering EVERY American." <<<<<< how's that working for ya?
Really? That is awesome, I that typical American family too, what are the coincidence.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Really? That is awesome, I that typical American family too, what are the coincidence.
Amazing how that works.. huh...

I'll even go 1 further, if you have a child, the chances of being that typical family are pretty good....

Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
This is going to being another ill considered idea like the Million Man March with Zero Port-o-lets back in the 1990s.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Amazing how that works.. huh...

I'll even go 1 further, if you have a child, the chances of being that typical family are pretty good....
Nope, no children yet, but then again it seems like everyone on City Data likes to claim they too are the "typical family."

Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Nope, no children yet, but then again it seems like everyone on City Data likes to claim they too are the "typical family."
See, you took my "children" comment and put it only towards you...but it was not...thanks for proving that the typical family is pretty much everyone with or with out a child..

Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Insurance companies are very, very happy with the ACA and will fight tooth and nail to keep it. Single payer will never happen.
Dont bet on it..

The government already contracts out to the insurance companies. The whole notion that "single payer" will get rid of insurance companies is ridiculous. The big insurance companies will fight to limit competition and if that involves going to a single payer, so smaller companies disappear and those left can get contracts with the government, they will go for it.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
See, you took my "children" comment and put it only towards you...but it was not...thanks for proving that the typical family is pretty much everyone with or with out a child..
Ah yes, that is why you think he meant "all" even though he never said "all." That is politics 101, and it looks like you bought it hook, line, and sinker.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
you ever wonder, maybe context might be important

Since insurance plans . . .go up every year?

Obamacare’s premiums are going up — at the same rate as everyone else’s - The Washington Post
Premiums werent supposed to continue to go up, they were supposed to fall.

Context might be important, if you included all of it.

Premiums rise and fall with the cost of services, and cost of services flow with the economy.

If you're suggesting we should tank the economy to lower premiums lower I'd say thats a bad option.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Ah yes, that is why you think he meant "all" even though he never said "all." That is politics 101, and it looks like you bought it hook, line, and sinker.
LOL....then once again, what's a typical family?

And while you are at it, tell us what he meant in your own words what he said "My plan begins by covering all Americans"?<<<< I noticed you side stepped that question earlier, so I thought I would bring it up again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies