Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 638 times

Advertisements

This man just made history for our country and all you can talk about is his shirt?? Do you know that a FEMALE friend gave him that shirt? As if none of you has ever made a bad fashion decision. He was in tears for God's sake. Stripping him of his dignity after making such a monumental contribution to our country. More and more often it is proven to me, by this sort of junk, why Europeans have the opinions they do of Americans. You make the rest of us look bad no matter what damn shirt you have on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:33 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah, where's the outrage over the blond bimbos on Faux news showing thigh up their beltline? Those poor girls will have varicose veins before they're 40 with all of that knee crossing they're required to maintain lest the public get a snapper-shot.

I don't watch Fox often but would agree with you - women are women regardless of affiliation and they all want to be noticed and desired. Even the leftists with hairy legs.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
glasses, tats, wristwatch, gaudy shirt with sexy cartoon drawings of beautiful ladies - check. He looks like 250,000 other guys on the street to me.

To anyone who complains about the casual attire of the great rocket scientist, when YOUR rocket scientist for your country lands the spacecraft on the comet, you be sure and dress him in the pre-designated monkeysuit that you have designed ahead of time.

LANDED. A SPACECRAFT. ON A COMET. STREAKING. THROUGH. SPACE.

Oh, but that's not the important part to petty, small-minded people.
'Murcia. is the land of freedom. And you hate it. Because you are a Hater.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:43 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
You're welcome. I try to save the panties for special occasions only.

Beyond that, I think you're painting with a pretty broad brush. "No confident, mature woman" would be intimidated? Well, there's a few things with that.

One, you're very heavily pushing the idea that anyone who objects to this shirt or takes part in the larger conversation around it (seriously, we could leave the shirt out of this conversation 100%, if you wanted. It's a catalyst, not the main issue) is both immature and weak. No confident woman would speak out about an issue that might have a very big impact on her professional and personal life? Really? I think that's exactly the thing a confident woman might choose to do.

And speaking of choice: this is all about that. A woman choosing to show her bare body on camera is choosing do to so. That's not something I'd do, but I can see how that would be very freeing. Nuts to you, world, here's my butt. I saw some of the pics from Kim Kardashian's recent photoshoot. I have zero opinions about her, but she certainly looked like she was having a fun time being naked.

A woman in the STEM field has little choice about how sexist the environment she works in might be, outside of simply not going into STEM. I doubt there are many people, male or female, who would choose to work in an environment that was sexist against them. Very, VERY different from an individual making a choice about what to do with their body.

I do agree with you on one thing: the sexism in STEM and in society is not this guy's fault. No one should be treating him like it is. I'm not, and as stated before, I'm sorry that the backlash against him personally was apparently so vicious. I hope he likes his shirt and continues to wear it as long as it makes him happy--just probably not at work.
I agree with you that most every woman in the field of science or mathematics has come up against sexism. But the only way women in modern times have broken through any profession is to power through it and teach her daughters, nieces, and most especially their sons that women can and will eventually do anything in the field they excel at. Where we disagree is that women who flaunt every asset they have empowers women. Flaunt your brains ladies and if that brain happens to come with a nice rack, fine, but that is not what is your most empowering asset.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:53 PM

778 posts, read 823,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I agree with you that most every woman in the field of science or mathematics has come up against sexism. But the only way women in modern times have broken through any profession is to power through it and teach her daughters, nieces, and most especially their sons that women can and will eventually do anything in the field they excel at. Where we disagree is that women who flaunt every asset they have empowers women. Flaunt your brains ladies and if that brain happens to come with a nice rack, fine, but that is not what is your most empowering asset.
Well, for some people that rack might be their most empowering asset. A rocket scientist can be anyone, but not everyone can be a rocket scientist. If you were born with an abundance of body and you want to show it off, that's fine. I don't think we should denigrate people who choose to do that any more than we should denigrate a person who chooses to flaunt their impressive mental prowess. If a person feels empowered by doing that, then how you or I feel about it doesn't matter much.

What's more important, IMO, is that we make it clear to our society, especially our sons and daughters, that a person doing that made a choice to do so, and that it doesn't free us to expect others to do the same, to assume everyone wants to, or that an exposed body part is ever up for grabs. Choice and consent.

And to remind them beauty and brains can go hand-in-hand. I mean, let's talk about Hedy Lamarr for one: Hedy Lamarr: Not just a pretty face - Scientific American

Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Well, for some people that rack might be their most empowering asset. A rocket scientist can be anyone, but not everyone can be a rocket scientist. If you were born with an abundance of body and you want to show it off, that's fine. I don't think we should denigrate people who choose to do that any more than we should denigrate a person who chooses to flaunt their impressive mental prowess. If a person feels empowered by doing that, then how you or I feel about it doesn't matter much.

What's more important, IMO, is that we make it clear to our society, especially our sons and daughters, that a person doing that made a choice to do so, and that it doesn't free us to expect others to do the same, to assume everyone wants to, or that an exposed body part is ever up for grabs. Choice and consent.

And to remind them beauty and brains can go hand-in-hand. I mean, let's talk about Hedy Lamarr for one: Hedy Lamarr: Not just a pretty face - Scientific American
I was merely making the point that when certain entertainers mislead young girls into believing that wagging your half naked rear end is empowering to women all they are empowering is certain men to objectify women and cements their sexism. Hedy Lamar was amazing!

Old 11-17-2014, 02:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Quote:
Yeah, where's the outrage over the blond bimbos on Faux news showing thigh up their beltline? Those poor girls will have varicose veins before they're 40 with all of that knee crossing they're required to maintain lest the public get a snapper-shot.
So who's the sexist pig? This guy ^^^ or the guy in the shirt?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:18 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
It must be miserable to be a feminist.

A feminist can't go through one day being a normal, well-adjusted individual without being perpetually offended by non-offensive goings-on every single day of their miserably bitter, empty life.

I feel sorry for them.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:22 PM

778 posts, read 823,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
So who's the sexist pig? This guy ^^^ or the guy in the shirt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It must be miserable to be a feminist.

A feminist can't go through one day being a normal, well-adjusted individual without being perpetually offended by non-offensive goings-on every single day of their miserably bitter, empty life.

I feel sorry for them.
There ya go.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Wow! Although you are making my point. But...WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies