Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,990,458 times

Advertisements

What does your ideal America look like (policy and cultural-wise) and do you think we will ever get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,870,151 times
Ideal America= small gov't, majority of power shifted to states. No more laws policing morals

Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,741,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Ideal America= small gov't, majority of power shifted to states. No more laws policing morals
Agreed but with federal pooling of funds for national research, defense, intelligence, and health and safety policy formation. Obviously, defense and intelligence MUST be administrated at the federal level and scientific research will grind to a halt or be dominated by states with existing infrastructure while the rest of the country (Idaho included) will rot and fester if we leave it up to the individual states to dole out money for that. Public health and safety, including transportation, must also be mandated from the federal level so that all systems are fundamentally uniform. The actual policing of goods and services produced in the US can and should be done at the state level. Goods coming in from out of country should be policed federally.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:49 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,318,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
What does your ideal America look like (policy and cultural-wise) and do you think we will ever get there?

my ideal america would be something with less laws and more individual responsibility, but that's a pipe dream.

a few things i would like to see is better education, public school is a joke. another thing that would be at the top is less dependence on cars. I don't know exactly how it could be done, but i would like to see less polarization of politics and less of a gulf between rich and poor (less polarization of money; haves and have nots....).

i think those few things would solve a few other problems down the way.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,154,535 times
We are drifting away from the ideal America. From my perspective, the ideal America starting decaying 40 years ago.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,270,142 times
I somewhat agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
We are drifting away from the ideal America. From my perspective, the ideal America starting decaying 40 years ago.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:52 AM

20,250 posts, read 19,821,292 times
People (both mothers and fathers) taking more personal responsibilty for raising and educating their children or, not having them at all.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 AM

278 posts, read 908,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I'm not sure that it didn't drift away long before...we just didn't have the media talking heads informing us of it night after night after night.

As far as the thread question, I guess a country can only be as 'ideal' as the people it represents. Maybe it would be better for people to address their own short-comings as individuals before expecting their government to try to make them look good to the rest of the world. America can only be what we are....and apprently....we are falling short of meeting our own expectations.

And yes....I think we can fix it if we quit being so selfish and greedy as individuals.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:59 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,119,619 times
People take personal responsibilty for their mistakes and shortcomings. People find education more important than listening and worse, believing rhetoric. People use their right to vote to influence change when they feel they need it.

</gov't>

Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,780,739 times
An ideal America is:

1) A small government
2) A FAIR and free market
3) No income taxes
4) A less "invasive" foreign policy (that includes dropping out of NATO, etc. - foreign governments should NOT be dictating U.S. policies)
5) NO social programs
6) A strong national defense
7) Strong penalties for corruption (VERY strong)
8) Strong education system
9) A strong and deadly physical barrier between the U.S. and Mexico, no more anchor babies or wet/dry foot policies, deport illegals (unlike McCain.. you CAN deport 12M people and is NOT that hard).
10) Insurance that our personal liberties will NOT be trampled for any reason, not for more safety, not for money, not for ANYTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies