Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,651,919 times

Advertisements

I respect many of the things Rand Paul stands for. If Rand did not want to create deficits and debt growth with supply side tax cuts (then he would have my vote too.)

Rand Paul's fix for Detroit: lower taxes for the rich, more pollution & lower wages for the poor
Rand Paul Wants To Bail Out Detroit With Union Busting and Tax Cuts for The Wealthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He's a sharp guy and would receive a lot of support from all parties.

Especially after 8 years of Obama.
While he may be supremely better than his father, he would never get the GOP nomination and running as a libertarian would be the same as all the others who have run as a libertarian .... a losing proposition.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry, I think you are letting your biased Dem views show; he wasn't what I would support and he was a little weird to say the least, with ideas not all of us can swallow but a cult leader, for heavens sake, that is something I never heard him called. As for Rand, he is his dad's son but not nearly as radical. I will support him and many will, on both sides. Will he be my top choice, it is way to early to tell, but I can't see a single Democrat that is any better.
Is that not your GOP biased showing ?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I hold many liberal positions and I have no problem if he states a support for Israel........as long as that support isn't dependent on millions of dollars.

Agree with the bolded, when did the notion of having allies equate to funding them?

When did the notion of funding any other country become policy or law?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:55 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,948,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This thread derailed before it got going.

It the OP is so gung ho for Rand Paul, why not Ron Paul in the past?

I voted for Ron Paul in the last two elections. I voted for Ross Perot. I am not committed to the two parties beholden to the most crooked citizens in this nation.
The Pauls or others "independent" are forced to run on an R ticket else they don't appear on a ballot. There are no primaries for independents; why? For the same reason they are "muted" by the media when campaigning? Because they point out the men behind the curtains and the fact the emporer wears no clothes? Because they make most uncomfortable for doing so?
They unsettle what most have come to accept as government; they tell truth and expose government for what it is. They point to the Constitution rather than to what makes us feel good. Government isn't in place to make us feel anything - that is up to us. The sentiment government is to do so is where most politicians fail. The Constitution defines the limited powers of government and we, the people have more power than the federal power. We are sovereign onto ourselves as are the individual states. That changed during the middle of the 19th century.

Why do independents tend to align moreso along conservative values than liberal (progressive)?

They look to the Constitution, the law of the land. A better term for it would be "the rule book".
I could deconstruct all ten bullets in that article to show how the federal government is wholly treasonous at present. Anyone should be able to pick it all apart. Everyone should do so.

To be frank, this nation sorely needs a libertarian government. We should all aspire for government not beholden to business concerns nor those of bankers, the Federal Reserve to be specific. This nation is held hostage by foreign bankers, they own our economy. Again, the Federal Reserve.

We should all want to see every right, liberty and freedom remain inalienable as set forth by the Constitution. We should hold those we elect to the oaths they swear upon taking office. Instead, we cheer for one and boo the other as it suits us.

It's truly a wonder this country hasn't fallen apart yet; especially given policies of the past century.

It is on democrats and republicans alike but, it all falls onto we, the people. The federal government is not the USA. The USA is we, the people who democratically elect 535 members of congress to represent us. The POTUS is selected by the electoral college and that process is anything but what it should be. Add it all together and you have the federal government. I liken it to the largest organized crime syndicate the planet has ever seen.

Government controls our monetary system, food supply, energy, education and now healthcare.

I suggest everyone look into the Constitution and find where those powers were given to government.

I will point to the 10th amendment and ask what it means to any....

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Have we strayed?

Why not a libertarian?
You automatically discount anyone who's a Republican or a Democrat, so you're doing the very thing you accuse others of doing.

When the libertarian party or any other 3rd party has an electable candidate that shares some of my values, I'll consider supporting them. That has NEVER happened and I doubt it ever will.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:55 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
Rand Paul has always distanced himself from being a radical libertarian unlike his father, he has always tried to work with conservative and moderate Republicans. He is more socially tolerant and moderate then any other mainstream republican, which I think is in his advantage. Paul has his ideology, but is smart enough to realize he needs to reach out to other groups to win elections. That is why people like Ted Cruz, Rick Perry, Mike Huckabee can't succeed on the national level, they are simply too idealistic and won't waiver to expand their voting bloc. That's also the reason Christie, Paul, Romney are serious contenders, they are working hard to build a diverse group around them. You can't win elections with just conservatives, just moderates, or just liberals. Paul does have a libertarian streak, but he is not libertarian, he's a mix of moderate, conservative, and libertarian, which IMO is a great foundation for a strong Presidential campaign. The Kochs are very libertarian, and I could see them backing Paul. Remember Ed Koch ran as a Libertarian presidential candidate in the 80's. I'm an independent and I'd rejoin the GOP to vote for Paul. I also voted for Ron Paul, but I never expected him to win and he was too radical for me, but I felt at the time we needed to show a strong signal to the GOP that they were going the wrong direction.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This thread derailed before it got going.

It the OP is so gung ho for Rand Paul, why not Ron Paul in the past?

I voted for Ron Paul in the last two elections. I voted for Ross Perot. I am not committed to the two parties beholden to the most crooked citizens in this nation.
The Pauls or others "independent" are forced to run on an R ticket else they don't appear on a ballot. There are no primaries for independents; why? For the same reason they are "muted" by the media when campaigning? Because they point out the men behind the curtains and the fact the emporer wears no clothes? Because they make most uncomfortable for doing so?

There are no primaries for independents because they are independent of a PARTY!!!!!

they arent going up against anyone for their parties support because they have none.

Quote:
Why do independents tend to align moreso along conservative values than liberal (progressive)?

They look to the Constitution, the law of the land. A better term for it would be "the rule book".
I could deconstruct all ten bullets in that article to show how the federal government is wholly treasonous at present. Anyone should be able to pick it all apart. Everyone should do so.
They align with Conservative ideology because that is what they are and because they could not get enough attention while simply running as a Republican because those lose early in the primary, not because they value the Constitution more than Democrats/liberals/progressives

We should all want to see every right, liberty and freedom remain inalienable as set forth by the Constitution. We should hold those we elect to the oaths they swear upon taking office. Instead, we cheer for one and boo the other as it suits us.

But you just did that exact same thing in your own post

It's truly a wonder this country hasn't fallen apart yet; especially given policies of the past century.

It is on democrats and republicans alike but, it all falls onto we, the people. The federal government is not the USA. The USA is we, the people who democratically elect 535 members of congress to represent us. The POTUS is selected by the electoral college and that process is anything but what it should be. Add it all together and you have the federal government. I liken it to the largest organized crime syndicate the planet has ever seen.

Government controls our monetary system, food supply, energy, education and now healthcare.

I suggest everyone look into the Constitution and find where those powers were given to government.

I will point to the 10th amendment and ask what it means to any....

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Have we strayed?

Why not a libertarian? [/quote]

define libertarian. And give an explain of its( the ideology's) stances on key issues.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm probably the biggest GOP-hater on C-D, but I would take him over Hillary Clinton in a flash.

As for Israel, his stated campaigning position is not worse than any other major party candidate who doesn't want to be perpetually libeled by AIPAC; it has little to do with how he'd actually govern.

I'm a Liberal Democrat. I'm Voting for Rand Paul in 2016. Here Is Why.*|*H. A. Goodman
Why ?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The ONLY thing? You're against legalization of marijuana? Against staying out of wars? Against the Government spying on us & torturing people?
yea, Rand Paul flip flopped on Drones being used on US citizens within the US.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What is wrong with stand with Israel?
Nothing...as long as he means HE stands with Israel and doesn't extrapolate that to mean we all do (because I don't) or that the United States is obligated to doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies