Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Yea,,so what's the point? Water kills people all the time,why not point that out..Ever notice how many people choke to death while eating? Look your gonna die from something...Walk out of the room and reconsider why your mingling in company that smokes marijuana.....or cigarettes,,or eats fatty foods, specially them GMO foods...lets not forget the crazy car drivers,they're the worse...
I especially love the vegetarian crowd,,ever notice one preaching while wearing leather shoes and a belt to hold their pants up when they're on the holier that thou box?
Hey buddy, I don't give a rat's butt if you kill yourself doing whatever it is you do but the same smoking laws should apply to dope as they apply to cigarettes if what you're doing affects everyone else the same way. The issue here is second hand smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 12:49 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hey buddy, I don't give a rat's butt if you kill yourself doing whatever it is you do but the same smoking laws should apply to dope as they apply to cigarettes if what you're doing affects everyone else the same way. The issue here is second hand smoke.
In all states, if you smoke cannabis in public you risk getting a fine or, in the majority of states, a court date for a misdemeanor and a criminal record if found guilty.

You can smoke cigarettes in public. But not in restricted areas. If you do so and get caught, the most you will receive is a fine. 90% of the time you will just be told to put it out.

I can freely walk down the street smoking a cigarette but risk getting fined or jailed if smoking a joint. You are actually saying that laws against using cannabis in public should be eased.

Your argument, like most prohibitionists, is very flawed. You seem to hate cannabis but in your post you state that the same laws for cigarette smokers should apply to cannabis smokers.

Last edited by jburress; 11-19-2014 at 01:16 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 01:32 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
"'Smoke is smoke. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke impair blood vessel function similarly,' said study senior author Matthew Springer, a cardiovascular researcher and associate professor of medicine in the university's cardiology division. 'People should avoid both, and governments who are protecting people against secondhand smoke exposure should include marijuana in those rules.' Blood vessel function in laboratory rats dropped by 70 percent after a half-hour of exposure to secondhand marijuana smoke -- similar to results found with secondhand tobacco smoke, researchers from the University of California, San Francisco reported Sunday."

​Hazards of secondhand marijuana smoke - CBS News

Told you. Peas in a pod: tobacco and marijuana when it comes to health issues.
I find it a tad amusing that they actually studied it, of course it's the same. You can't smoke a joint or a cigarette in the CO residence center where my friend works. Since smoke is smoke, they are treated equally.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:01 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Yea,,so what's the point? Water kills people all the time,why not point that out..Ever notice how many people choke to death while eating? Look your gonna die from something...Walk out of the room and reconsider why your mingling in company that smokes marijuana.....or cigarettes,,or eats fatty foods, specially them GMO foods...lets not forget the crazy car drivers,they're the worse...
I especially love the vegetarian crowd,,ever notice one preaching while wearing leather shoes and a belt to hold their pants up when they're on the holier that thou box?
So we should allow people to smoke anything they want around anyone they want because other things kill people too?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I find it a tad amusing that they actually studied it, of course it's the same. You can't smoke a joint or a cigarette in the CO residence center where my friend works. Since smoke is smoke, they are treated equally.
As they should be. Smoke is smoke. There are hundreds of compounds in both types of smoke and smoke is an irritant to people with respiratory issues. They need to do their smoking outside with no one else around.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:11 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
In all states, if you smoke cannabis in public you risk getting a fine or, in the majority of states, a court date for a misdemeanor and a criminal record if found guilty.

You can smoke cigarettes in public. But not in restricted areas. If you do so and get caught, the most you will receive is a fine. 90% of the time you will just be told to put it out.

I can freely walk down the street smoking a cigarette but risk getting fined or jailed if smoking a joint. You are actually saying that laws against using cannabis in public should be eased.

Your argument, like most prohibitionists, is very flawed. You seem to hate cannabis but in your post you state that the same laws for cigarette smokers should apply to cannabis smokers.
Uh; try again, please. This thread's about 2nd hand smoke: NOT about weed being illegal and tobacco being legal. Sheesh!

Old 11-23-2015, 12:05 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Laura, Do you believe everything you read and hear? Are you ever just a bit suspicious that government controlled media, statistics and internet data have contrived a bunch of BS? It is time to wake up. Don't trust things that don't ring true to your gut. One out of 4 people are alcoholic. Where did I get that stat? AA. You won't get the same number from the government. They don't want you to know. They want to distract you back onto eradicating something else they dreamed up. Another thing, only 3% of alkies, chemical druggies, addicts make it to sober and survive. At least another 15 people are negatively affected by an alcoholic/druggie in their families, friends, and workers. The toll from chemical poisoning is much greater than from cigarettes or mary jane.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,932 times
I wasn't going to post when I saw how old this thread was but ... there should be zero fear of "second-hand" Marijuana smoke because very few non-smokers would be around anyone that is smoking it.

In the areas where marijuana is "legal" and I am familiar with the laws, "public" smoking is illegal, so non-smokers would have almost no chance of coming into contact with second-hand smoke.

There are 30,000+ deaths on the roads in the US alone ... NO talk of banning automobiles or trucks.
Hundreds of thousand die to tobacco related diseases a year ... crickets in the wind.
About the same numbers for Alcohol related deaths ...

Marijuana smokers do NOT turn violent, lose control, or rob to feed their habit.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
"'Smoke is smoke. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke impair blood vessel function similarly,' said study senior author Matthew Springer, a cardiovascular researcher and associate professor of medicine in the university's cardiology division. 'People should avoid both, and governments who are protecting people against secondhand smoke exposure should include marijuana in those rules.' Blood vessel function in laboratory rats dropped by 70 percent after a half-hour of exposure to secondhand marijuana smoke -- similar to results found with secondhand tobacco smoke, researchers from the University of California, San Francisco reported Sunday."

​Hazards of secondhand marijuana smoke - CBS News

Told you. Peas in a pod: tobacco and marijuana when it comes to health issues.
The stoners are out to get you. Wait for all the "yeah but alcohol" whine and the dope isn't bad for you to protect their recreation in altering their state of mind.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:29 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
wacky weed is totally safe, just ask those that smoke it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies