Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:15 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Well, it's more than just a little hypocritical to call out something currently ILLEGAL (but has medicinal benefits) which has a dangerous component found in a LEGAL substance, which actually is more lethal then many vices combined. thus turning this thread into something a little comical.
Tobacco is more studied than marijuana do to the fact there are more regular tobacco smokers than marijuana smokers and due to the fact it is illegal it is harder to conduct quality studies.

Given the nature of most marijuana consumption it is not a big shock if it turns out to be just as unhealthy as tobacco smoking.

And, yeah, marijuana does have some medical benefits, but those medical benefits apply to a rather small set of people. Cocaine and heroin also have medical benefits and started their lives as medication, but if I'm hitting rails I don't pretend it's for health reasons as opposed to recreational.

Note: I support the legalization of marijuana and all drugs. I just find there is a subset of self-righteous potheads who look down on everyone and delude themselves into thinking that they are smoking pot because its improving their health as opposed to just getting a sweet buzz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Tobacco is more studied than marijuana do to the fact there are more regular tobacco smokers than marijuana smokers and due to the fact it is illegal it is harder to conduct quality studies.

Given the nature of most marijuana consumption it is not a big shock if it turns out to be just as unhealthy as tobacco smoking.

And, yeah, marijuana does have some medical benefits, but those medical benefits apply to a rather small set of people. Cocaine and heroin also have medical benefits and started their lives as medication, but if I'm hitting rails I don't pretend it's for health reasons as opposed to recreational.

Note: I support the legalization of marijuana and all drugs. I just find there is a subset of self-righteous potheads who look down on everyone and delude themselves into thinking that they are smoking pot because its improving their health as opposed to just getting a sweet buzz.
and why is that, you ask?

because the gov't won't allow any funding to further expand these limited studies. I believe Israel is the only gov't in the world which underwrites the research of cannabis.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 AM

779 posts, read 632,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"'Smoke is smoke. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke impair blood vessel function similarly,' said study senior author Matthew Springer, a cardiovascular researcher and associate professor of medicine in the university's cardiology division. 'People should avoid both, and governments who are protecting people against secondhand smoke exposure should include marijuana in those rules.' Blood vessel function in laboratory rats dropped by 70 percent after a half-hour of exposure to secondhand marijuana smoke -- similar to results found with secondhand tobacco smoke, researchers from the University of California, San Francisco reported Sunday."

​Hazards of secondhand marijuana smoke - CBS News

Told you. Peas in a pod: tobacco and marijuana when it comes to health issues.
Did anyone doubt that inhaling smoke can lead to problems with your lungs? I don't think so. I woul dwant weed to have restrictions that mirror tobacco use in public, rental cars, hotels, etc with a bit of restrictions that mirror those for alcohol.

You could easily avoid this by not smoking it. I'll wait for the study on what it might do to your digestive system but not for now...eat up!

Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
"'Smoke is smoke. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke impair blood vessel function similarly,' said study senior author Matthew Springer, a cardiovascular researcher and associate professor of medicine in the university's cardiology division. 'People should avoid both, and governments who are protecting people against secondhand smoke exposure should include marijuana in those rules.' Blood vessel function in laboratory rats dropped by 70 percent after a half-hour of exposure to secondhand marijuana smoke -- similar to results found with secondhand tobacco smoke, researchers from the University of California, San Francisco reported Sunday."

watch out for the fifth hand smoke, that's the smoke that travels through the internet

by the way don't go to the race track lots of noxious fumes there

don't ever sit near a camp fire..

stay a way from the barbecue..

Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:

Is this suppose to be an argument for the legalization of weed or an argument for making cigarettes illegal?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 AM

136 posts, read 200,273 times
People eat marijuana now-- esp In Colorado. Or they vape it.

Problem solved.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:33 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
Quote:

Ahhh, go live in a bubble!

There's avoidance (intolerance), and then there's immergence (adaptation), and then there's everything in between.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM

Shoveling snow all day can cause blisters.

And, if you keep doing it, you could develop callouses and die.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:56 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Shoveling snow all day can cause blisters.

And, if you keep doing it, you could develop callouses and die.
It has also been known to cause fatal heart attacks!
Yet, in the local city, THE LAW requires you to clear your sidewalks within 24 hours of the cessation of snowfall! Oh, yeah, and DO NOT shove it into the street!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It has also been known to cause fatal heart attacks!
Yet, in the local city, THE LAW requires you to clear your sidewalks within 24 hours of the cessation of snowfall! Oh, yeah, and DO NOT shove it into the street!
You just gave me an idea!

Instead of shoveling the confliction into the city's face, get ready for this, use a Weed Dragon to melt the snow off your sidewalk.

No snow, no fine.

I don't think the city fines for icy walks.

Or, do they?

If they do, just a-salt the ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies