Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should every child be guaranteed a college education at government expense?
Yes 32 30.19%
No 74 69.81%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,652,583 times

Advertisements

I have no idea but she has drug this out for 7 years and tells us that it is her paycheck.
It is not a Pell grand I do not think. It is some kind of program that sends her a check. She is not the only one I know of to do this and get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why on earth would you want to guarantee higher education? That would create SOOO much more competition for the children of the rich!
Well no, basically if every child starts getting bachelor's degrees then the higher paying employers will start requiring a master's degrees...... Until of course the whining begins again and the government decides to give every child a free master's degree...... Soon a kid will need to be a 30 year-old holder of a doctorate to get an entry-level job at Wendy's....

Old 01-03-2008, 07:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,137,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Well no, basically if every child starts getting bachelor's degrees then the higher paying employers will start requiring a master's degrees...... Until of course the whining begins again and the government decides to give every child a free master's degree...... Soon a kid will need to be a 30 year-old holder of a doctorate to get an entry-level job at Wendy's....
Well, even high school education is "free" but many do not graduate. Therefore, on the same level - even if an Associate's or Bachelor's becomes "free", then there will be many who do not take the opportunity and/or do not graduate.

As for the "not taking a job you studied" or dragging it out for extra years, it's the same thing with high school....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I have no idea but she has drug this out for 7 years and tells us that it is her paycheck.
It is not a Pell grand I do not think. It is some kind of program that sends her a check. She is not the only one I know of to do this and get away with it.
Exactly. You don't know. For all anyone knows, it could be inheritance money from a dead uncle that's being sent to her each quarter. Instead of making blatant accusations without any true knowledge of the situation, why not talk to her and find out about this "program". Have her explain it to you - then get back to us.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,490,376 times
Default entry level

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Talk about throwing good money after bad! Too many kids going to college never end up working in the feild they studied, why should we help delay the maturity process even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
many good paying jobs aren't necessarily techinical yet rather just require a bachelors degree period... many business managers I know don't even have business degrees... so if the market is going to just require four years of education with no emphasis on anything.. then what is the point in making it so hard to attain? seems to be just an extension of high school... and making people pay for it... don't know if you've been to university lately.. but the beaurocracy involved seems to just be getting more and more out of hand.. with ridiculous hoops to jump through and less emphasis on actual eduaction... which seems to be a direct image of our public school system... yet its not free... so I don't think it really has anything to do with market or government funded... when it comes to effectiveness... its a matter of how easily available you wish to make it for people so they can make a better life for themselves and their family.
While I agree with you Boise that more and more jobs are requiring a bachelors degree just to get in the door.
I have to agree with silas777 on this one. I know alot of guys/gals out there that have degrees that are working a job that doesn't have the slightest thing to do with there original degree. Actually alot of them had to go back to school and retrain for a new career anyways. So even if you did guarantee the higher education more than likely a lot of folks would have to go back anyways for retraining.

Now with that aside. I would like to see more businesses in all fields create an environment in which entry level jobs require less education to get into the door. This would allow for a type of "internship" where a person can find out it there cut out to do certain types of careers. Also this would also allow for businesses find some talented/committed people that they can help with there education financing. And if that company does help that person get an education, I think that would help go a long way in creating loyalty to the company.
I have sort of seen this type of thing except that the education was on a Master's degree program instead of a bachelors.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,603,761 times
Much of the issue with the cost of college is the outrageous requirements for useless courses. All in the name of "diversity" and a "rounded" education. Social science 101, World Literature, "Art" Appreciation? Puhlease!!! Just those 3 courses alone cost me around $1500 in tuition and books/fees and that was at a cheap community college. And even though I made A's in all 3, by the time 30 days had passed I had already forgotten the majority of what was taught. Those classes are time wasters for students and money makers for colleges.

It should not cost $50,000 to become an expert in a given field when $15k-$20k is diverted to forcing students through unrelated courses. High School should be the "rounded" out education. College should be VERY specific toward a particular field, with all the "rounded" education type classes left available for those who actually have an interest in it.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 AM

595 posts, read 2,339,637 times
No, college is about teaching you to learn. It is NOT about teaching you a trade.
Professional schools like law are for that or more commonly technical schools teach you a trade.
You can get a better job typically if you have a technical school education than a college education.
That said I'm in college b/c I want to go into urban planning (which will require a Master's)

Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well, even high school education is "free" but many do not graduate. Therefore, on the same level - even if an Associate's or Bachelor's becomes "free", then there will be many who do not take the opportunity and/or do not graduate.

As for the "not taking a job you studied" or dragging it out for extra years, it's the same thing with high school....

Exactly. You don't know. For all anyone knows, it could be inheritance money from a dead uncle that's being sent to her each quarter. Instead of making blatant accusations without any true knowledge of the situation, why not talk to her and find out about this "program". Have her explain it to you - then get back to us.

Not a blatant accusation at all !!!!

Ok, you wanna know why I know this and know it is 100% accurate.

She is a laz bag neice in law who brags to us all the time she doesnt have to work and only has to go to school to get her paycheck.
Her lazy hubby wont work a full time job and they discuss him turning down overtime so they can stay under a certain amount of money.
Believe me she has no rich uncles, that side of the family if full of lazy butted people who work the system to get what they want. Thus a big reason why I am dead against welfare toters and lazy people.
I have asked her who funds this freebie and she will not spit it out. She knows I would stop it !

So I am getting back to you, now you can find something else to do besides trying to pick apart something you know nothing about.

7 years and still no degree, how about that for someone who sucks all of the money from the tax payers who do work for a living.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
I voted no simply because you have fairly low cost options currently available. Two years of community college, if planned correctly, should get you halfway through a four year state school. By my estimates, depending upon where you live, the total cost of tuition, fees and books (excluding living expenses) would be between $12K and 25K for a complete college education. Working part time and intermittently during this four year period, you easily could earn the majority of the tuition and graduate with little debt.

I realize college cost are increasing, making the numbers move up a bit each year, but obtaining a degree is not out of reach for the vast majority of folks, and the building of character in paying your own way is worthwhile too.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 AM

Money Magazine or one of those trade magazines has recently stated that current 18 years old have a better chance of success when they learn a service trade that required something that has to be done.

HVAC was one of the highest on the list that I can remember.

Until this country wakes up and brings back the manufacturing jobs to American we are going to have people with Master Degrees serving at the drive through at Mickey D's because there is not enough jobs for them to fill.

The college kids who work for me during the summer usally do not have any trouble finding decent jobs, but many of them are not in the field of study.

Last year the one who worked for me accepted a job in Atlanta... starting salary 95k, now that is not to shabby for a 22 year old. Not in his degree field either.

I post this in the Florida forum allot.

I know a window washer in Tampa Florida who makes over 100k per year and has no college whatsoever.

See a need, fill a need.
But it is always good to have that degree in hand just in case.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,603,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
No, college is about teaching you to learn.
Then what the hell are teachers doing for 12 years in grade school?

If someone can't learn by the time they graduate, they are not a good candidate for college and should seek other programs to help them learn. There is plenty of challenges and learning to be done in the courses specific to a major. Believe me, Art Appreciation, World Literature, etc would have done NOTHING to help me prepare for a meteorology major when I was looking into that field and the cirriculum that it would entail. I have no problem with a few basic courses that prep someone for the hard stuff, like college algebra as a requirement to move forward to the meteorology curriculum. But there are still many fluff classes that are absolutely useless and wasteful of a student's time and resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies