Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:05 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times

Advertisements

I don't see why anyone would take a licensed taxi, when some guy in an unmarked white van will drive you around for half the price and give you free candy besides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Looks like tech startups are beginning to get corporate treatment from liberals. Why are they targeting Uber now?
They offended the sensibilities of upper middle class white journalists.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:18 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I don't see why anyone would take a licensed taxi, when some guy in an unmarked white van will drive you around for half the price and give you free candy besides.
How teh funny am you.

I don't know why anyone would overpay for a thing when a cheaper and more appealing alternative is available.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:27 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Uhhh-how is this a left/right issue exactly?

I've used Uber many times and really have no complaints. There needs to be more competition and innovation in many industries, so I see this as a good thing.
It's due to demographics.

THe biggest losers to outfits like Uber are Taxi Companies which are not surprisingly concentrated in urban areas where they are historically extremely politically connected. Those areas are democratic bastions.

It would be no different than if uber somehow competed with corn growers and thus angered rural interests whom in turn went to their generally republican politiicans to try to shut uber down.

Frankly, I could see uber being really popular in small towns that have no taxi service. It would be a great side business for a retiree or someone out of work or underemployed.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Uhhh-how is this a left/right issue exactly?

I've used Uber many times and really have no complaints. There needs to be more competition and innovation in many industries, so I see this as a good thing.

You would think so, but in this super Progressive city on the 3rd coast, they are trying their best to get UBER shutdown, because they do not pay what a start up cab service has to pay the city.
The city wants their MONEY.

As always, when freedom is taken by laws, one just has to FOLLOW THE MONEY!
The rich get richer...

Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
What exactly is the reason that we require commercial transport drivers to have a special license denoting additional training, and more extensive insurance coverage?

Old 11-19-2014, 11:44 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
I must have missed the bit where being skeptical as regards the ethics of digging up dirt on critical journalists was a left/right issue. When did that happen?

Old 11-19-2014, 11:50 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What exactly is the reason that we require commercial transport drivers to have a special license denoting additional training, and more extensive insurance coverage?
And why shouldn't the private citizen have the option to choose a cheaper alternative, even knowing ahead of time that the driver did not have government/union approved "additional training, and more extensive insurance coverage?" Why shouldn't another private citizen be allowed to offer said service?

And why can't something like Angie's List tell you which transportation provider, even those without "additional training, and more extensive insurance coverage" is the best deal? Why is the government/union scam the only way for one to "trust" their driver to be safe and courteous, when the free market is far more responsive?

Old 11-19-2014, 11:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's due to demographics.

THe biggest losers to outfits like Uber are Taxi Companies which are not surprisingly concentrated in urban areas where they are historically extremely politically connected. Those areas are democratic bastions.

It would be no different than if uber somehow competed with corn growers and thus angered rural interests whom in turn went to their generally republican politiicans to try to shut uber down.

Frankly, I could see uber being really popular in small towns that have no taxi service. It would be a great side business for a retiree or someone out of work or underemployed.
That's true-Philadelphia currently has a bitter feud with Uber-The PPA has even impounded some UberX cars and is ticketing drivers.

Uber X launches in Philadelphia despite PPA crackdown - Philadelphia Business Journal

But I think it just proves that this issue, like almost all issues, is not left versus right- it is the establishment versus the people. The people want Uber while the establishment-whether they claim to be left or right leaning- does not.

I myself have even considered becoming an UberX driver in my spare time, just because I enjoy driving and know my city extensively. I think there should be as little bureaucracy, red tape and middle men as possible in the marketplace and the internet is allowing innovative businesses like this to flourish.

The glory days of untouchable monopolies and inept black-hole budget Government are over. The people are realizing they can do more outside the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You would think so, but in this super Progressive city on the 3rd coast, they are trying their best to get UBER shutdown, because they do not pay what a start up cab service has to pay the city.
The city wants their MONEY.

As always, when freedom is taken by laws, one just has to FOLLOW THE MONEY!
The rich get richer...
Very true-bureaucracies get used to their budgets and only want more and more. It is all about money and control.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:06 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Probably due to

1) increased difficulty to operate the vehicle beyond that of a car

2) Public safety (this is a concern as you don't know what sort of moron is driving for uber...but then again, I've had some wild cab rides.)

3) Higher limits because larger vehicles can cause more severe damages and also juries etc. like to hand out large jury verdicts vs. the big outfits. You get jacked up by John Doe in his van that's what thing....you get jacked up by John Doe driving a coca cola van? Ka-ching.

The main concern I would have with uber is if their private automobile insurance coverage would apply while acting like a taxi cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies