Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:22 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

Fox News has published an opinion piece about 11 ways the ACA might be dismantled in 2015. There are only one or two sentences following each of the 11 ways.

ObamaCare's future: 11 ways the health care law could be dismantled in 2015 | Fox News

I'm asking you which way(s) will most likely be tried by the Republicans and whatever Democrats might join them.

Please don't go off topic. This is not about how you feel about Obamacare. I want you to look at the 11 possible ways the ACA could be dismantled and pick one or more (or one that isn't even there) that you think will be tried by the House and/or Senate in 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Don't allow any money to be appropriated to prop it up as the costs outweigh the premiums being paid. All bills like this should have built in triggers which require it to be re-authorized if the costs are more than "x amount" more than the bill allows. If not re-authorized, it is immediately cancelled. Future Congress's or taxpayers should not be obligated to pay for something they did not vote for and people should be required to re-vote if they still want it.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:02 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Don't allow any money to be appropriated to prop it up as the costs outweigh the premiums being paid. All bills like this should have built in triggers which require it to be re-authorized if the costs are more than "x amount" more than the bill allows. If not re-authorized, it is immediately cancelled. Future Congress's or taxpayers should not be obligated to pay for something they did not vote for and people should be required to re-vote if they still want it.
My understanding is that Obamacare is largely self-funding, presumably to avoid this sort of thing. I don't think Congress has any method for "starving" Obamacare that's any easier than just repealing it legislatively.

Also, Obama campaigned heavily on Obamacare, as he and Democrats were swept into office in 2008 in large enough numbers to pass the bill, even over Senate filibusters. Its passage is one of the clearest and most direct voter mandates in American history, even if the successful post-2008 campaigns against Obamacare have been popular enough to obscure our memory of that fact.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Fox News has published an opinion piece about 11 ways the ACA might be dismantled in 2015. There are only one or two sentences following each of the 11 ways.

ObamaCare's future: 11 ways the health care law could be dismantled in 2015 | Fox News

I'm asking you which way(s) will most likely be tried by the Republicans and whatever Democrats might join them.

Please don't go off topic. This is not about how you feel about Obamacare. I want you to look at the 11 possible ways the ACA could be dismantled and pick one or more (or one that isn't even there) that you think will be tried by the House and/or Senate in 2015.

The Republicans best hope remains the Supreme Court destroying the law (via the exchange route). I don't think the Republicans will realistically want to remove protections of the law themselves (i.e. out of pocket maximums, pre-existing conditions).

So. . .Supreme Court. Allows republicans to play the role of pontias pilate.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I think it will dismantle itself as the subsidies dry up and more people find out that they need to pay more money for less service. There are still millions of folks legal and illegal that cannot afford it and will go to the emergency room if they are sick which increases the costs to the people that are paying into the system.
I think what will also do it in is when more states start questioning it and rejecting it.

I think it was a good idea but poorly implemented.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
My understanding is that Obamacare is largely self-funding, presumably to avoid this sort of thing. I don't think Congress has any method for "starving" Obamacare that's any easier than just repealing it legislatively.

Also, Obama campaigned heavily on Obamacare, as he and Democrats were swept into office in 2008 in large enough numbers to pass the bill, even over Senate filibusters. Its passage is one of the clearest and most direct voter mandates in American history, even if the successful post-2008 campaigns against Obamacare have been popular enough to obscure our memory of that fact.
And the fact that ACA's popularity continues to drop shouldn't be lost on anyone.

My expectation is that ACA will be at least partially defunded, it's the easiest way to abort any government project. Ultimately a republican president will be required for any major changes to ACA, so that means everyone is looking to 2016 to see what happens.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:11 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
The Republicans will decide to "kill Obamacare" by passing universal healthcare, which they will dub "FreedomCare." Democrats will "give in".

That's the only way Obamacare gets "dismantled" at this point.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:20 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
i haven't heard any republican "options" if they repeal Obama care. I.e. no one has floated the Republican legislation.

I mean everyone is crying it was broke before, they hate Obama care, but i've never heard a real option.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:20 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Somehow they couldn't put in a choice that included, affordable, consider pre-existing conditions as in an aging condition or one was born with the condition. None of the choices is good for the consumer and taxpayers are still left paying for those who will not.

90 yr old people don't need half the surgeries that are performed on them. While asking the 25 yr old to pay twice as much for insurance he probably won't use. One insurance explained to me, I am buying insurance for me and one other person, that I do not know. I should be able to apply that money toward my families health concerns, not a stranger.....why pay double and now I get less coverage.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:22 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Get over it, Republicans. Obamacare is not going to be repealed in any meaningful way. Obamacare is much more complex than the insurance mandate and the exchange. It has altered how we do medical care. Things have changed and they won't change back. It is here to stay. Republicans will be no more successful at repealing the ACA than they were at repealing social security or medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies