Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should "Under God" be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance?
Yes, remove it 51 49.51%
No, keep it 52 50.49%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times

Advertisements

hmmmm, again...
I never considered the Pledge of Allegiance to be a "loyalty oath".
However, the oath I swore to every time I enlisted or re-enlisted, THAT was a "Loyalty Oath" to the Constitution of The United States, SO HELP ME GOD!
Interestingly, in all the times I took that oath, from 1958 through the late 1980s, individually and in groups, I never encountered one single person who objected to the mention of God. Apparently, if there were any objectors, they kept quiet and just didn't say the phrase.
It is a shame, IMO, that people today can't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:15 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
hmmmm, again...
I never considered the Pledge of Allegiance to be a "loyalty oath".
Meh, we can quibble over definitions.

Quote:
However, the oath I swore to every time I enlisted or re-enlisted, THAT was a "Loyalty Oath" to the Constitution of The United States, SO HELP ME GOD!
Interestingly, in all the times I took that oath, from 1958 through the late 1980s, individually and in groups, I never encountered one single person who objected to the mention of God. Apparently, if there were any objectors, they kept quiet and just didn't say the phrase.
"So help me God" is officially optional in the enlistment oath.

Quote:
It is a shame, IMO, that people today can't do that.
Why is that a shame?

Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're arguing in favor of a government official leading children in a daily recitation of a government-approved loyalty oath with a distinct religious undertone, and yet you decry "group think and mob mentality of freedom to say or do whatever only they approve of"? Wow. That's some fine projection right there.

No I'm arguing that progressive nut jobs can't leave well enough alone! Honestly, is it really hurting anyone that God's name is invoked in the pledge? Distinct religious undertone???? Our country was founded on the basis of a Creator!

I think Redraven and I are on the same page here, that if someone objected they didn't make a big stink about it.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Washington was a Freemason, so maybe he was referencing whatever it is Freemasons believe in.
Well, let's see if his own words can give us a clue, shall we??
"Almighty God"
"Great and Glorious Being"
"Beneficit Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be"
"Great Lord and Ruler of nations"

It seems he believed in God, or at least a god like being!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Meh, we can quibble over definitions.

"So help me God" is officially optional in the enlistment oath.

Why is that a shame?
YES, we should be precise in definitions! Using the correct term in the correct way is absolutely VITAL to clear communication, IMO

Sorry, but NO, the first three or four times I took that oath it was NOT "optional".
Those who did not like it just did not say it, even though they did NOT have official permission to delete it.

If you don't understand why it is a shame, there is no use trying to explain it to you. Such an explanation would be an exercise in futility, and I'm not getting involved in the game. Since you do not believe that correct terminology is important, it is obvious to me you would make no effort to understand.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:40 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
No I'm arguing that progressive nut jobs can't leave well enough alone!
If the "well enough" is schoolchildren chanting the nation's praises in unison, you don't see the irony in accusing those not wanting to follow along of "groupthink"? Guess not.

Quote:
I think Redraven and I are on the same page here, that if someone objected they didn't make a big stink about it.
And in my book, acquiescing so as not to make waves - that's giving in to groupthink and mob mentality.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:44 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Surprised the King hasn't already changed it. Maybe if he institutes that once a month, we can petition him face to face for things we'd like done in the kingdom, we can rid ourselves of Ike's little addition to our pledge. And why pledge to a piece of fabric anyway, when throughout history, one pledged loyalty to the king, and as of last night, we have one of those.

Whole new America calls for a whole new way of swearing fealty.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:09 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
Leave it in. Some people take these things too seriously sometimes.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:19 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, let's see if his own words can give us a clue, shall we??
"Almighty God"
"Great and Glorious Being"
"Beneficit Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be"
"Great Lord and Ruler of nations"

It seems he believed in God, or at least a god like being!
But what was his "True Religion"?

There have been many gods dreamed up by humankind, and there are many religions.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:24 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
If the "well enough" is schoolchildren chanting the nation's praises in unison, you don't see the irony in accusing those not wanting to follow along of "groupthink"? Guess not.

And in my book, acquiescing so as not to make waves - that's giving in to groupthink and mob mentality.

How about the fact that one keeping their mouth shut is out of respect and dignity for those who do have faith? Nobody is forcing you to say it, nobody is forcing you to believe, so why not leave it the hell alone?! It was fine for all of these years, and now all of a sudden it isn't? Because of some butt hurt militant atheists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies