Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 05:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't think it matters if his guilt or innocence is ever settled in civil court.

If the court of public opinion finds him guilty, Cosby is damned if he confesses to his guilt or damned if he protects his innocence. It's all lose-lose for him now that our ever such delicate sensibilities have been so deeply offended.

I think we have turned into a bunch of leering Puritans, all to quick to condemn others for the same things lots of us do ourselves. I don't believe Cosby is a saint, but I'm not willing to cast judgement on him, no matter if he did or didn't do the offenses claimed against him. We cover the kids ears while we salivate and prick ours up, so as not to miss a single salacious word that will come from the next 2 weeks of 24 hour coverage.
Since when did rape become an issue for 'delicate sensibilities'? I mean, come on, it's not just like he gave them a drunken hug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
HUM, how many years ago did all these ALLEGED rapes happen???

Should have said something way, way back then. Now, hum.....innocent until PROVEN guilty in my book.
Annnd they did. Police reports were made; criminal charges filed . . . and no one was listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I find anyone who waits 20 years to come forward to be a little more than suspicious. All these "new" allegations I just automatically assume are false. Ya done lost all credibility when ya waited so long to accuse him, and even then ya waited till after someone else came forward first.

See above. There were complaints against him in the past; criminal complaints filed, etc. No one wanted to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If they really are telling the truth, then they're cowards for waiting so long to come forward. If Cosby really is a rapist, then how many more victims has he created that he may otherwise not have had these women not held their silence.....

If Cosby is guilty, then he deserves all that he's getting. My only point is that I think it's a shame a mans career and legacy can be destroyed by little more than unproven allegations.
One last time - they didn't all wait. 16 or 17 have now come forward with nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The victims have nothing to gain other than money from the media the last thing Cosby wants is a slander trial, he has already settled on a prior case to avoid court.
I'm with you. Don't anyone hold their breath waiting for Dr. Huxtable to file a slander suit.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:45 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Annnd they did. Police reports were made; criminal charges filed . . . and no one was listening.

See above. There were complaints against him in the past; criminal complaints filed, etc. No one wanted to hear.
Were criminal charges actually filed? Or just criminal complaints made and no charges filed? If no charges were filed, why not? Because there wasn't enough evidence? If charges were filed, why didn't it result in his arrest? Not enough evidence?

If charges were filed and then women settled out of court, that tells me they were interested in money, not justice and not getting a rapist off the streets.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Were criminal charges actually filed? Or just criminal complaints made and no charges filed? If no charges were filed, why not? Because there wasn't enough evidence? If charges were filed, why didn't it result in his arrest? Not enough evidence?

If charges were filed and then women settled out of court, that tells me they were interested in money, not justice and not getting a rapist off the streets.

Looking at that both ways if there was no merit why did Cosby settle, it was already out in the media.

Rape has been a very difficult case to convict, look at all the present day rape and assault in the military, college campuses but that is changing. Someone brining a rape case against a figure like Cosby in the 70's, 80's would not have went well for the accuser.

I also recall the paternity suit against Cosby back in the 90's where he refused to take a DNA test, nothing to do with this issue but sure relevant to his integrity.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:00 PM

335 posts, read 503,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i am not omniscient so i have no way of knowing the truth

i just came here to say that as a regular guy it really sucks that any female can just make a rape allegation against me and the cops will show up and arrest me.

its just not right, just a mere allegation can ruin a mans life/livelyhood at minimum a stigma is cast upon you that will not go away

and as far as i know, these bees that are proven to be liars trying to ruin someone or extort money nothng usually happens to them

i tend to believe allegations even less when a celeb is involved, easier targets in a world of shady people trying to make a financial comeup

i also find it curious that this is in the news now. alot of folks been on the bill cosby hate bsndwagon because he made comments. now this ish is out there. Im a cat that doesnt believe in conincidences

Just sayin
Well, as a regular woman, I think it sucks that back in the day, a powerful, wealthy man could rape you with impunity.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:01 PM

335 posts, read 503,825 times
Quote:

Statute of limitations.

Last edited by Gumshoe Lady; 11-20-2014 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
That's what I'm asking.

Quote:
It is not possible for an out-of-court settlement in a criminal case. That's only possible in civil law.

In criminal law, a "settlement" is a plea [bargain] agreement.

Quote:
Looking at that both ways if there was no merit why did Cosby settle, it was already out in the media.
For those people who don't have legal minds or experience with the legal system, settlements are a function of Opportunity Costs.

You can spend $5 Million on legal fees in an attempt to prove a negative, or you can write a check for $150,000 and be done with it.

Before some non-start starts flapping about "loser pays" not all States have such a statute. Remember that this is a federal republic and States are allowed to be different, even though it aggravates the hell out the control-freak Liberals.

Even for those States that do, you need to read the statute carefully, and examine the associated case law. The laws are not the same for each State, because you know, this is a federal and States are allowed to be different, even though it aggravates the hell out the control-freak Liberals.

Those of you familiar with a Notice Of Motion And Motion For Attorney’s Fees And Reimbursement Of Expenses know that opposing counsel can file objections. Your attorney might charge $650/hour but the judge only allows $450/hour.

You're stuck footing the rest of the bill.

Quote:
Rape has been a very difficult case to convict, look at all the present day rape and assault in the military, college campuses but that is changing.
Speaking as one who investigated rapes and interrogated subjects, it is not difficult.

The data is worthless. You should know that. Suppose the FBI's quarterly UCR shows 14,332 rapes in the US.

How many rapes were committed?

The correct answer to that question is: Unknown, since the data does not permit any conclusions to be drawn.

RIF = Reading Is Fundamental.

"Reported" does not equal "Committed." The UCR is raw data on crimes reported, not crimes investigated, founded, prosecuted or convicted, or adjudicated in any way.

So, 14,332 rapes are reported and then reality takes over and a few thousand were false reports, in another few hundred, the happy couple kissed and made up, or the complaint was withdrawn for whatever reason, or it wasn't rape, but it was sexual battery or sexual assault, or another lesser sex offense, and then of the remaining rapes, a number are statutory, and since this is a federal republic and States are allowed to be different, even though it aggravates the hell out the control-freak Liberals, the ages of statutory rape may be 15, 16 or 17 (and I think there's still a few with 14 years). The "victim" is not pushing the statutory rape, rather it's the "victim's" parents who hate her 18 year old boyfriend.

And still, no convictions. So assuming these actually go to trial and there is a conviction, those numbers are far less than what is reported (but don't forget to take into account plea bargains for lesser sex offenses).

Quote:
Someone brining a rape case against a figure like Cosby in the 70's, 80's would not have went well for the accuser.
Perhaps not the 70s, but in the 80s, yes.

The most important thing for a rape victim is to report to the police immediately. I can understand not wanting to go to the police -- especially pre-1970s -- but there's no excuse not to go to an emergency room.

Granted, pre-1970s, cops were boorish pigs and for a rape victim, going to the police was like being re-raped (multiple times). Cops would make victims disrobe, the cops would take photos and then pass them around like a Hustler magazine. Yes, that's true, there are a number of document cases.

In some respects, I think it is well-earned/deserved. You wanted unionized police...you got 'em.

Instead of those ass-clown cops scrubbing skid-marks to eke out a living for the rest of their lives, they're bleeding you dry with their big fat pensions.

How's those union benefits working out for everyone?

I think the people of Ferguson (City of) will be asking that soon enough.

I have an issue with the MO. Drugging women to rape them was an epidemic in the early 1990s.

I'm not seeing Cosby drugging and raping women in the 1960s-70s or even the 1980s.

I have a problem with "repressed memories" and witness testimony anyway.

Americans are almost unique in their susceptibility of media-induced hysteria.

Think NDEs. No one knew anything about it, until it surfaced on few TV shows like Unexplained Mysteries. Next thing you know, it's damn near epidemic proportions, yet what do you hear now? Nothing.

Alien abduction. That's another. Couple of nutters are interviewed on TV, and suddenly everyone is being abducted, but what about now? Nothing.

Let's face it....the majority of Americans are dysfunctional and emotionally ill.

I'm all for automatic gag-orders on criminal and civil matters.

This business of trying people in the media is differently twisted and perverted, and it does not serve justice or further the ends of justice.

Quote:
I also recall the paternity suit against Cosby back in the 90's where he refused to take a DNA test, nothing to do with this issue but sure relevant to his integrity.
It has no bearing on his integrity.

Signed...

Basketball Jones

Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Three woman have recently come forward claiming that Bill Cosby drugged them and then had sex with them. The statute of limitations has passed so there is no financial gain. Today NBC cancelled a Bill Cosby comeback show and Netflix cancelled a 77th birthday special. Don Lemon of CNN has apologized for crudely asking one of the women why she didn't bite his d*ck off.
Do you believe Cosby drugged women to have sex with them?

CNN's Don Lemon Apologizes For Bizarre Penis Biting Rape Question
Yes, maybe he's working on a roofie endorsement deal?

There's too many women repeating the same scenario for all of them to be lying.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe Lady View Post
Well, as a regular woman, I think it sucks that back in the day, a powerful, wealthy man could rape you with impunity.
Meanwhile, accused white liberal rapist and former president Bill Clinton has no such problems. He still dominates Democratic politics, commanding an average $195,000 per speech imparting his wisdom and insights. Past allegations of rape and groping and using his power and charm to seduce women are ignored – or secretly admired.

Paula Jones was dismissed as "trailer trash" by Clinton, defending himself against her claims of rape, which he later settled for $850,000. Kathleen Willey and Juanita Broaddrrick were scorned and mocked by Clintonistas after going public with their claims.

white_skin_privilege_liberal_bill_clinton_can_rape _but_not_black_conservative_bill_cosby.html

Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:

It's just like how OJ was found not guilty in criminal court but lost in civil court.

Sometimes there isn't enough proof for one but there is for the other.

I'm torn on the entire topic because there are a host of skeezy accusations like the one against Kobe Byrant (dismissed after 3 different guys semen were found in her) and then of course you have more valid accusations against other celebrities like R Kelly but hey....the witness got paid and never testified.

Personally, I'm troubled by the timing of the claims and don't know what to think.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:26 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh I don't know, not defending anything.

I am however noticing that while Cosby was a ardent democrat, he couldn't be touched when accused of rape. It was only once he spoke out against the entitlement mentality that the accusation came back to life again and there is reaction.
no, you are just hell bent on twisting every story to bash Dems.

Woody Allen was in the news a little while back and he wrote an article defending himself. Gawker.com brought up Bills rape accusation and it started the snowball effect.

A few months ago a comedian named Hannibal Burress was in Philly and made a joke Bout Bill being a rapist....

then a few days ago one of Cosbys handlers made the mistake of trying to start a meme and it backfired.

but feel free to keep blaming dems and libs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies