Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
THIS KIND OF STUFF IS NOT MEANT TO BE TALKED ABOUT.
It is if these claims are true; you cannot hide or I should say that money and power should not be an excuse. The finger in the hole in the dam is not going to hold back the flood waters. There are just too many coming forward to dismiss them all or hide behind privacy statues.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:35 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I met him once and he was a big jerk. He hates kids and is a prima donna. That said I have no clue if he did this to women personally, but since he is a jerk most folks assume it is true.
I am not assuming anything. I am simply reading the news. Bill Maher is the one that roasted Bill Cosby the other night. As far as I know right now; these women have nothing in common except for their contact with Bill Cosby. All describe a similar MO. His sponsors are backing off - somebody smells trouble ahead.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 AM

24,391 posts, read 23,048,028 times
Any word on whether " Leonard Part 7" is still in the works or has it been scrapped?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,844 times
We can either believe one man or seventeen women.
I have to go with the accusers, he's a serial rapist and should be in jail.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Because he's Bill Cosby, that's why. A lot of people don't come forward for years because they're intimidated by much humbler individuals than someone like an internationally-loved multi-millionaire. But if 12 other people came forward, hey, maybe I can swallow my anxiety and speak up too. I used to see that all the time when I was running the rape crisis center. One person would come forward and then half a dozen other victims would speak up too.
I put Bill Cosby, and a lot of other Hollywood types, in a world of their own. The have exceptional amounts of money, live in a world which is not comprehensible to us mere mortals, and they have legions of "hangers on" who feel they can get something--at least an "I know Cosby or Jackson or whomever" --out of the association.

It is entirely likely that at the time, these women felt that their careers would be advanced by a "go along/get along" strategy. If it meant having sex (yes, I understand that they believe they were drugged, which makes the whole thing even more disgusting--but what are you doing out drinking with a dirty old man unless you think there is something in it for you) with someone, then so be it. "When I become rich and famous it won't matter". I equate the behavior to the legions of folks who allowed nude pictures of themselves to be taken.

Fast forward a few years. The career doesn't take off, and now the "cost" of coming forward is minimal. They can exact a pound of revenge by coming forth with the story of their heinous relationship with a famous person. It sounds even better when they couch it in "I don't want anything for myself, but if it saves just one young woman from this predator...." It is just the opposite problem of the folks whose nude pictures are now plastered all over the internet. One has NO visibility; the other has too much. But the core issue is similar: they both put themselves in a position early in their careers which they thought would help them along.

None of this diminishes Cosby from being a pig, an animal, and deserving of being disgraced. But it won't likely change much. He has made his millions. From my understanding the statute of limitations has expired, or the victims have been paid off. So he gets put in the penalty box for a few months, and then it all blows over.

Sadly, the events become a sordid part of people's lives and there isn't much, at this point, which can or will be done about it.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Bill Cosby told the hard truth about what the Left did to his community. So the Left and their media apparatchiks have set out to destroy him.
Yes, Like Anita Hill did with Clarence Thomas, right? It's all a big conspiracy. If women could just learn to put up with harassment and rape, men could get on with their business unimpeded.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I put Bill Cosby, and a lot of other Hollywood types, in a world of their own. The have exceptional amounts of money, live in a world which is not comprehensible to us mere mortals, and they have legions of "hangers on" who feel they can get something--at least an "I know Cosby or Jackson or whomever" --out of the association.

It is entirely likely that at the time, these women felt that their careers would be advanced by a "go along/get along" strategy. If it meant having sex (yes, I understand that they believe they were drugged, which makes the whole thing even more disgusting--but what are you doing out drinking with a dirty old man unless you think there is something in it for you) with someone, then so be it. "When I become rich and famous it won't matter". I equate the behavior to the legions of folks who allowed nude pictures of themselves to be taken.

Fast forward a few years. The career doesn't take off, and now the "cost" of coming forward is minimal. They can exact a pound of revenge by coming forth with the story of their heinous relationship with a famous person. It sounds even better when they couch it in "I don't want anything for myself, but if it saves just one young woman from this predator...." It is just the opposite problem of the folks whose nude pictures are now plastered all over the internet. One has NO visibility; the other has too much. But the core issue is similar: they both put themselves in a position early in their careers which they thought would help them along.

None of this diminishes Cosby from being a pig, an animal, and deserving of being disgraced. But it won't likely change much. He has made his millions. From my understanding the statute of limitations has expired, or the victims have been paid off. So he gets put in the penalty box for a few months, and then it all blows over.

Sadly, the events become a sordid part of people's lives and there isn't much, at this point, which can or will be done about it.

Bill Cosby was a rich man with a super ugly wife and access to pills to knock out hot young women

Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
He never did anything wrong. They are just past associates. It does not matter if they had sex or not. That is the bottom line basically. The original one is an starving artist looking for attention. Seriously you know how many girls in my would do the same thing if they believed I was famous?????
No I don't, did you drug them prior to sex?

Stories serviced about celebrities in the past, many proved to be true.

Quote:

THIS KIND OF STUFF IS NOT MEANT TO BE TALKED ABOUT. .

I bet 90% of the households who have children all would claim that the sex was rape.
I'm sure Cosby was hoping for silence that's what any sex offender wants, and appears he succeeded, until now.

How child rape figures into the discussion is beyond me. If you'd articulate thoughts, I might understand your point-of-view.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

He was young when the first incidents happened. He had just begun to make it as a stand-up comedian on TV and was gaining popularity. There was no "dirty old man". At least a couple of the women were studying acting with him or interning with him as acting students.

People can throw out all the cliches they want: "girlfriends", or "why would you accept a drink from a dirty old man", but those don't come close to excusing the breadth of the incidents involved. All it does is reveal these cliches for what they are: feeble attempts to sweep heinous crimes under the rug for a member of the old boys' network.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:33 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He was young when the first incidents happened. He had just begun to make it as a stand-up comedian on TV and was gaining popularity. There was no "dirty old man". At least a couple of the women were studying acting with him or interning with him as acting students.
There's the women from his alma mater Temple University, years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies