Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Everyone know that, but people lie about other uses of vehicles, miles driven to work, if the vehicle is used for business, etc, etc.

I bet you didn't know that genies take things very literally.........
Oh, that's just too funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This point just keeps getting skipped over and it shouldn't. A bladder infection (UTI) does not cause vaginal bleeding. I had a UTI when I was 17 weeks pregnant. I was flat on my back for four days after I started antibiotics. But, my baby was just fine and there was no vaginal bleeding because there is no connection between the urinary tract and the uterus. If this woman was bleeding, something different was going on than just a UTI and it may very well have been early signs of her pregnancy complications while in Hawaii. It actually does sound like a pre-existing condition to me, regardless of what her doctor said.
It can, but apparently it's rare:

Quote:
With proper care, urinary tract infections rarely cause serious health problems. Most infections are limited to the bladder and urethra, but sometimes they can lead to a kidney infection. If they do, UTIs may lead to preterm labor and low birth weight.
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and Pregnancy

Could very likely be that this woman had an issue that coincided with her UTI and her "severals docs" (as another posted referred to her collection of OBs who were so concerned) passed it off as "the UTI caused the vaginal bleeding".

Did her "several" docs perform (or send her to get) an u/s to make sure she didn't have placenta previa, a subchorionic hematoma? Did they just say, "Oh, your UTI caused all of that bleeding", and not check her out any further?

Sounds like it, doesn't it...especially given how it all ended up.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:22 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
They are not "residents". They are "visitors". They are not eligible for Government assistance programs regardless of "property taxes paid" any more than I am eligible for any U.S. programs in Florida while sitting in the house I own and pay property tax on.

They pay income taxes on all income they derive from various sources to the U.S. NOT to Canada.
Evidently they claim citizenship or Canadian health care did not do their job, right?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
The latest news........The Canadian couple are declaring bankruptcy, due to the fact that American insurance companies and American hospitals CAN sue in Canadian courts to TRY to recover costs .

They stand to lose their house and most of their savings, and they will be unable to buy anything on credit, for at least the next seven years.

Jim B. In Toronto.
The cost of litigation would exceed the cost of the bill, an agreement will be reached for much less.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It was Saskatchewan Blue Cross. You do realize that Saskatchewan is in Canada, right?

That was her insurer, that is who denied her. Her country's much vaunted national healthcare system also told her to pound salt, paying only 5% of her incurred expenses because hey, she chose to not be in Canada when the birth happened.

Only thing America has to do with this story is that's where she decided to go incur her costs. The refusal to pay for her costs? Yeah, that one belongs to Canada.
I wonder what the cost would have been for the exact same in Canada?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
That's right but had she been covered by a US insurance company it would be no different.
They would have refused to pay her bill.
You don't know that.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Prior to Obamacare, US insurance companies could deny you coverage or payment for pre-existing conditions,
and all of them denied millions of claims based on that. So that's proof right there.

I'm not a fan of Obamacare, but it does have one or two good things about it. Like how companies can no longer deny you because of pre-existng conditions, but that does NOT apply to travel insurance.
It would not be a pre existing condition if she had the insurance prior to her pregnancy.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
It would have been denied because US traveler's insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions unless you pay extra for it.

But unfortunately it is up to the bean counters, not your doctors, to determine what your pre-existing conditions are.
If you forgot to disclose that you went to the doctor for an ankle sprain when you were 10, they can deny you.
Oh puleeezzz!

Old 11-21-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Seems her doctor was wrong in allowing it. But its a Canadian insurance case and should be decided under Canadian insurance regulation by Canadian court, Its a US hospital that will eat the bill and if a non-profit just pass on her cost to others who use the hospital.
Another reason heath care s so expensive.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
The US healthcare system is such a wreck it would almost be funny except for the fact that people's financial lives are ruined on a daily basis because of it.

Here's a scan of guy's hospital bill for a 24 hour stay related to Appendicitis. He had insurance and is still out over $11,000.

The United States government spends more per capita on healthcare than Canada. Yet somehow, Canadian citizens get free socialized healthcare and we (Americans) spend more than they do for a vastly inferior system.
I would not say vastly inferior, most medical advances world wide are developed right here in the good ole U.S.A!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies