Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:44 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times

Advertisements

Peakes woman loses her baby, dignity while awaiting hospital treatment - Local - The Guardian

Hospitals slow to learn from own mistakes - Health - CBC News

Woman dies after waiting 6 hours in ER | CTV News

Woman dies waiting in ER as AG finds little movement | Toronto Star

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../15746351.html

Brian Sinclair, Winnipeg Aboriginal Who Died After 34-Hour Hour Hospital Wait, Assumed 'Sleeping It Off'

l

Last edited by shadowne; 11-21-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
There are issues from both sides of the fence.
There are many issues with the hospitals north of us. I posted just a few of the links I found. Women having miscarriages while waiting in the ER waiting room for 3 hours, an aboriginal double amputee left in the waiting room 34 hours before he died without ever being admitted.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The correct answer is "hospitals."
I want to comment on this. Last year I had a screening MRI. I have one every year, and they have always been about the same amount (~$1200). Because of our very high deductible of $8000, most years we have paid this cost out of pocket.

Last year my doctor suggested a new imaging center, "just downstairs" from her office. I called and confirmed that they took my insurance, made an appointment, and everything went fine.

Then.....we got the bill. $5400. Which, again, we would have to pay out of pocket. This seemed insane! There was nothing so special about that MRI, that it should cost over four times the normal amount and there was no way we were paying that bill as it stood. I called my insurance, BC/BS, and they said this was indeed our "adjusted" rate for a preferred provider. Then I called the imaging center.

"Ohh," they said, "That's because it's affiliated with the hospital. You are being charged for hospital fees. There's nothing we can do here; if you have a problem with your bill, you need to write to the billing address."

So I sent off a letter. About three months later I got a call from a very nice young woman who said she completely understood, etc. She offered to remove the insurance claim and let me pay the cash price for my procedure.

"And how much is the cash price?"

Brace yourself...it was $973. Just a little matter of $4,427 less than the center billed my insurance. Not only that, my insurance was willing to pay it! Or, rather, they were willing to let ME pay it. But in cases where their patient had already met the deductible, BC/BS would have just reimbursed the hospital this ridiculous amount, and the hospital would happily have taken it because they could.

So yes, the problem is hospitals for overcharging, and insurance companies for allowing it.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 PM

Saibot, it is crazy how much of a difference the bill is. I have to get MRI's every year for a serious condition and the posted amount is $6,000 and then when all is said and done my co-pay is about $60-120 depending on which part was done.

My pcp told me of a similar story to yours of a patient who had their MRI at the hospital. Sadly, because she had insurance, and the insurance denied the procedure she was getting a bill into the thousands. She had been quoted (if she was uninsured) something ridiculous like $300. total if uninsured. THIS is the kind of thing that is so messed up about our healthcare system.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
There are issues from both sides of the fence.
Exactly! That's something we agree on.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
There are many issues with the hospitals north of us. I posted just a few of the links I found. Women having miscarriages while waiting in the ER waiting room for 3 hours, an aboriginal double amputee left in the waiting room 34 hours before he died without ever being admitted.
And of course, none of that happens south of us!

I'll see your aboriginal reference with one about rural Kentucky:

Health care's Appalachian spring

15 years wait to have a blood clot in her leg scanned??????? Even I'm having a problem believing that one!

And this one by your own CIA deals with Maternal deaths as a sub-category stating America experiences 21 maternal deaths compared to Canada's 12 per 100,000. So I guess those issues with the hospitals north of you are still not as serious as yours using the same category of maternity issues.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2223rank.html

And this:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

Once again, U.S. has most expensive, least effective health care system in survey - The Washington Post

I guarantee you I can find more links than you can. Do I really need to go to all that effort?

Ours isn't perfect, but neither is yours "superior", as you'd like to opine.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:05 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And of course, none of that happens south of us!

I'll see your aboriginal reference with one about rural Kentucky:

Health care's Appalachian spring

15 years wait to have a blood clot in her leg scanned??????? Even I'm having a problem believing that one!

And this one by your own CIA deals with Maternal deaths as a sub-category stating America experiences 21 maternal deaths compared to Canada's 12 per 100,000. So I guess those issues with the hospitals north of you are still not as serious as yours using the same category of maternity issues.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2223rank.html

And this:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

Once again, U.S. has most expensive, least effective health care system in survey - The Washington Post

I guarantee you I can find more links than you can. Do I really need to go to all that effort?

Ours isn't perfect, but neither is yours "superior", as you'd like to opine.
I don't hear about them taking Ebola patients to Canada for treatment. Just sayin'

Old 11-22-2014, 04:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
I don't hear about Canadians contracting Ebola, so, that makes sense.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:40 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That is spot on......the definitions vary, and I'm going to show a website that proves exactly that.

I got something you're not going to want to see....you know, 'cause it has facts.

Good post, but that pales in comparison the United States Centers for Disease Control.

Since you have so much difficulty finding US government websites to back any of your claims, I'll help you out here.

"If the United States had Sweden’s distribution of births by gestational age, nearly 8,000 infant deaths would be averted each year and the U.S. infant mortality rate would be one-third lower."

Note the cause of the "high" infant mortality rate....

"The main cause of the United States' high infant mortality rate when compared with Europe is the very high percentage of preterm births in the United States."

Everyone needs to see that.

The epidemic of preterm births in the US is not due to healthcare. The cause is older women giving birth, plus there are dietary factors, which no amount of healthcare can fix.

Mortally...

Mircea

The epidemic of preterm births in the USA is NOT due to merely "dietary factors" and "older women giving birth."

Premature birth Risk factors - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

"Often, the specific cause of premature birth isn't clear. Many factors may increase the risk of premature birth, however, including:

Having a previous premature birthPregnancy with twins, triplets or other multiplesAn interval of less than six months between pregnanciesConceiving through in vitro fertilizationProblems with the uterus, cervix or placentaSmoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or using illicit drugsPoor nutritionSome infections, particularly of the amniotic fluid and lower genital tractSome chronic conditions, such as high blood pressure and diabetesBeing underweight or overweight before pregnancyStressful life events, such as the death of a loved one or domestic violenceMultiple miscarriages or abortionsPhysical injury or traumaUnusual shape of the uterus

For unknown reasons, black women are more likely to experience premature birth than are women of other races. But premature birth can happen to anyone. In fact, many women who have a premature birth have no known risk factors."

This last paragraph should not be overlooked. The fact remains that USA has a shoddy infant mortality rate in comparison to other first world countries.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:06 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Exactly! That's something we agree on.
Yea, I remember several years ago. I was brushing my teeth, when I spit out the toothpaste the left side of my face went numb, just like a shot of Novocain. I called the doc and they sent me to the emergency rm. After a 2 1/2 hr. wait I was finally seen. After preliminary test for stroke were all negative, the doc said he felt I was having a stroke and I should stay overnight for more tests, I said no and they ask me to sign a release (to cover their ass). I said " If you thought I was having a stroke , why did I wait I wait 2 1/2 hrs. in the waiting room?
Dr. had no answer, just lip service. Well, I promised to follow up with my PCP and it turned out to be a palsy which is caused by a virus, which explains why I had felt sick for the last week. Hospitals and doctors are so afraid of being sued, they go to great lengths to cover their asses, and you can't really blame them. Numbness went away after a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies