Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:29 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Here's a question, after you read this, tell me where you would send your wife to give birth?

Addressing Inequity In Health And Health Care In Mexico
Written in 2001 or so it appears.

Welcome to 2014, Mexico has universal healthcare now.

I have no idea how good or bad it is, but healthcare in Mexico has changed a lot is my impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 06:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
what makes you think it was high-risk? reading the article it sounds like she had a minor infection a couple months back, but nothing about it being high risk when she flew?
The article said she had earlier hemorrhaging. That's not 'minor' in pregnancy. The UTI was a contributing factor to that hemorrhaging and by the way, UTIs are not always minor. Shoot, my daughter had a friend die from a UTI that went septic.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Jennifer Huculak-Kimmel shouldn't pay $1M US bill for birth in Hawaii hospital: lawyer

They covered themselves with travel insurance. The travel insurance denied coverage due to her having a bladder infection TWO MONTHS before.

They answered all questions asked and filled in all of the relevant little bits on the form.

What health care system "picks up on bladder infections long since cured" and prevent you travelling due to that? What a moronic thing to suggest.

One month stability after far more major issues than a common bladder infection is usually all that is required prior to any travel insurance disclaimer being pertinent.

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I do believe their is a difference between a planters growth and 6 weeks in a hospital, an airlift, and 2 months in a neonatal care unit...

24 years ago I sliced my hand open. I went to a local clinic. I was poor and my insurance was crap at the time. The doc asked me how it happened and I told him I did drywall and cut it on corner bead. He smiled and explained that he did drywall part time while going to medical school.
For 16 sutures, the office call, a tetanus shot, and a follow up, he charged me $65. We are still friends today. I'll never forget the amount, because he asked how much I had on me. It was the money I had to buy my son a bike for his birthday. I was going to stop at Kmart on the way home after work to get it. The Bike was on sale.
My point is most of us have had a good experience with a Doctor. Same doctor removed warts from my son's feet for free.
Same Doctor got me a referral for my autistic daughter when her own doctor wouldn't.
I love to hear stories like yours, and I'm sure there are many more out there.
We've had similar experiences and I don't condemn the medical system we have, nor what they charge.

When my friend's daughter, at the time a college student and 22 [before kids could stay on their parents' ins] only had student insurance. She had to have cancer surgery, followed by intensive chemo. The hospital bill came to over $60K. It was a college town and the County covered the cost out of a special fund they had. The family never even got a bill from the surgeon.

Look at Shriner's Hospitals, and St. Jude. The families never have to pay for the intensive care and treatment their children receive.

I will not find fault with the medical care, nor its accessibility, in this country. It's excellent for the majority of people, but it is insurance that mucks things up for everyone.

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Sick system and embarrasing. Why should giving birth first of all cost $1 M with or without (travel) insurance?!? The couple should pay ZERO!
So, you are offering to pay, correct?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Quote:
Here's a question, after you read this, tell me where you would send your wife to give birth?

Addressing Inequity In Health And Health Care In Mexico
I've already read these reports (I live here, so I dig in). But none of that changes the fact that a normal, vaginal birth here costs around 4,000 pesos and a C-section is around 10,000 pesos. Hospitals and clinics here don't turn people away who are in labor. Also, birthing babies used to be done by doolies and midwives--not only here but in the US, too (and all around the world). A normal, healthy birth doesn't require fancy equipment and technology. I know an elderly lady here that had 12 kids at home with a midwife (some she delivered herself). I don't necessarily agree with having 12 kids---but she did have them all at home--and they're all healthy, productive adults today.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The article said she had earlier hemorrhaging. That's not 'minor' in pregnancy. The UTI was a contributing factor to that hemorrhaging and by the way, UTIs are not always minor. Shoot, my daughter had a friend die from a UTI that went septic.
her Dr. disagreed.

Quote:
Huculak told CTV there was no "high-risk pregnancy," she just had a bladder infection that caused some bleeding. Her doctor in Saskatchewan explained to Blue Cross that the infection didn't have anything to do with the early labor, but it didn't change the company's decision not to pay.
The UTI had NOTHING to do with the early labor. Most UTI are minor, this fell into that category.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:35 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Still, the cost should not be $10000 per day. $100K I can understand, but $1M is beyond ridiculous.

This shows the problem with insurance, hospitals don't care about costs because they are not paying. The patient does not care either, because normally the insurance company pays. Insurance companies do care about the costs, but are unable to influence it.
Hospitals often overcharge exorbitantly and will usually settle for less, I would be willing to bet they settle with the insurance co, maybe $250,000.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/moth...061950107.html

I'm guessing they probably will never consider the US again as a vacation destination!
wow! A million bucks. I don't think she'll vacation anywhere in the next 30 years. She is done.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
So, you are offering to pay, correct?
Nothings free. I assure you we are paying as the million dollar bill will have to be paid by us after this person declares bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies