Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well.....why do you agree with not using congress?
I have not said I agree or disagree with anything. Congress refuses to vote on it, and the president seems to be doing what he can on his own. Presidents have the power of doing certain things via EO, and that is what we are seeing now. Whether or not he is overstepping his authority will be for the Supreme Court to judge.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
President Obama does have the power to grant amnesty to illegal aliens under the Constitution; which pardon power has been consistently upheld by the Supreme Court. That's what's coming down. Just get used to it.
The POTUS does have the power to pardon people but can you cite where he has the authority to issue a blanket pardon to millions of unnamed people for one specific violation of law? Can he just effectively say anyone in violation of X law is now pardoned? That's a stretch I'd say.....

Old 11-20-2014, 06:15 AM

409 posts, read 258,657 times
The only thing Obama can do is promise not to deport people who weren't going to be deported anyways. He can't give them citizenship, he can't give them green cards, they won't be able to vote, who cares?

The GOP called his bluff now he has to pull something out of his butt to keep from looking completely impotent. Obama is going to take down the Democratic party purely to serve his own ego. This whole thing is such a hilarious backfire.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:17 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is an actual answer. I actually do not know what the future will bring. If you know, why don't you share it with the rest of us.
The question is why does Obama have to do something here. Your answer is because he said he would. Would you like to guess how many things we could all come up with to show examples of things he's said that he'd do and hasn't? Your answer is asinine at best. Feel free to try again.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
I guess because he said he would
Like ALL the OTHER things he said he would do and DIDN'T?

I'm STILL waiting for this " Will "ensure that bills are debated and discussed in the public square by publishing the text online for at least three days before coming up for a vote in the House of Representatives."

Being you are such an expert on all of O's GOOD things, how many bills that the House has passed fulfilled this thing "he said he would"do?

I can come with a whole list of things he said he would do and hasn't.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
The only thing Obama can do is promise not to deport people who weren't going to be deported anyways. He can't give them citizenship, he can't give them green cards, they won't be able to vote, who cares?

The GOP called his bluff now he has to pull something out of his butt to keep from looking completely impotent. Obama is going to take down the Democratic party purely to serve his own ego. This whole thing is such a hilarious backfire.
He is not promising citizenship or green cards, he is saying he won't deport them yet. It is comparable to him (or Bush) not enforcing the marijuana laws, or many States not enforcing sodomy laws.

I agree it was a bluff, which did not work. It will be interesting to see what he says tonight.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:26 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Somebody needs to DO something about the Immigration problem, Congress obviously refuses, so Obama DOES something. There's a problem with that?

it is called illegal
and he has not been willing to work with anyone
this is going to come back on him
and what will you be saying if the next president is a republican
with a majority in house and senate
and THAT president says he is going to do away with the EPA
because no one has done anything
you going to be okay with that??
I sort of think not

Old 11-20-2014, 06:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
He is not promising citizenship or green cards, he is saying he won't deport them yet. It is comparable to him (or Bush) not enforcing the marijuana laws, or many States not enforcing sodomy laws.

I agree it was a bluff, which did not work. It will be interesting to see what he says tonight.
He did more than just say he wouldn't deport them. He allowed them to stay and work and live here.

LEGALLY work while he deferred their deportation for 2 years and when that 2 years was up he extended it another 2 years.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
The only limitation of the President's power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States is for cases of impeachment.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He did more than just say he wouldn't deport them. He allowed them to stay and work and live here.
If you are not deported, then logically it means they can stay for now. It's the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies