Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Oh he did not.

He banned Federal dollars for research into stem cells. Private labs and universities were free to conduct research and doctors use them in procedures all the time.

I did not agree with Bush's move but I also will not pretend it was something more than it was.
it wasn't even as bad as that. the fed continued to fund stem cell research as long as it was done with embryonic stem cells already in existence.

we had oodles of threads on this back in the day.

as to the topic, here's how bammers felt about EE's in 2008:

"I taught constitutional law for ten years. I take the constitution very seriously. The biggest problem that we’re facing right now has to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all, and that’s what I intend to reverse when I’m president of the United States of America. (Sen. Obama at a Townhall in Lancaster, PA, March 31, 2008).

Old 11-20-2014, 07:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it wasn't even as bad as that. the fed continued to fund stem cell research as long as it was done with embryonic stem cells already in existence.

"I taught constitutional law for ten years. I take the constitution very seriously. The biggest problem that we’re facing right now has to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all, and that’s what I intend to reverse when I’m president of the United States of America. (Sen. Obama at a Townhall in Lancaster, PA, March 31, 2008).

Wow. Another lie from "Dear Leader." Imagine that.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Thank you for enhancing my point.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Again, quality of the action, not just quantity. In this case, the quality of the EO of each, revolves around the quality and timing of the EOs.

From your linked ABC News, AP syndicate article. Apples and apples, not that other orange fruit.

This President has demonstrated disdain for our Constitutional Republic system of government, time and time again. Note, I am not necessarily saying unconstituional, rather he has skirted around the edges - gamed the system if you will. He has set a different tone for the political environment - with the ACA crafting, selling and Machiavellian passage as prime exhibits.

Of course, he has been opposed, from before he took office. Because, his blatant lies were and are transparent for anyone paying attention to the substance, and not the admittedly soaring and inspirational rhetoric.
Sooooo... You think amnesty for some undocumented aliens is bigger than invading Iraq without permission? Seriously?

Oooookayyyyy.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
I said nothing about amnesty, which is really not what my comments were about.- if the news reports today mirror what Mr Obama will say and do. Nor, did my comments have to do with a particular President, or particular war. Yes, I used quotes that referenced a couple of other Presidents, but they came from your link article and used to show ten of something does is not equivalent to ten of something else.

Frankly, I am surprised, given you are a moderator, at your response. I do understand you are not commenting as a mod. Nonetheless, your response is unbecoming for someone who is entrusted to be even handed.

Not knowing how many EOs this or any other President has issued, I became curious. Looked at wikipedia as a quick resource and was surprised, yet wondered. Just what are all of the EOs about, or doing. So, alluding only to numbers struck me as a quick and easy retort. Not a necessarily accurate response. Focus on the EO portion of my comments. The rest is my personal view of why I think this President's EOs are drawing so much fire. I could be wrong, or I could be right in that judgement.

You assume, way to much in my initial reply to you. Look again at my response, read the words. Do not interpret from your viewpoint. I think you will reach a different conclusion about what I said about EOs, also about how you responded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Sooooo... You think amnesty for some undocumented aliens is bigger than invading Iraq without permission? Seriously?

Oooookayyyyy.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM

471 posts, read 807,481 times
Quote:
Reagan and Bush did the same thing and nobody cared.

2 GOP Presidents Acted Unilaterally on Immigration - ABC News
No, Mr. Moderator, they did not do the same thing. ABC News is lying to you.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Sooooo... You think amnesty for some undocumented aliens is bigger than invading Iraq without permission?
It's illegal aliens, not undocumented. Invaded Iraq without permission? Oh really? Post your proof, Mr. Moderator.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
I do not admire it, because I think the 'in your face America' approach is proving devisive. Leadership is about listening, having a vision, can be strong, bold, decisive, without being in your face. In your face shows a disdain for what the other thinks. "I'll show you!" is another way of saying in your face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The problem with the GOP is they never go big like Obama has done. I don't like what Obama has done but I admire his "in your face America" attitude. It's his way and that's it. I wish we got a GOP President that would do the same with the size, scope and spending of the federal government.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:06 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
No, Mr. Moderator, they did not do the same thing. ABC News is lying to you.

Here is a link to the transcript of the 1984 televised debate between President Reagan and Walter Mondale:

CPD: October 21, 1984 Debate Transcript

Scroll down to the part about illegal immigration and you will find President Reagan laying the groundwork for his executive order a few years later:

"But it is true our borders are out of control. It is also true that this has been a situation on our borders back through a number of administrations. And I supported this bill. I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and who have lived here even though sometime back they may have entered illegally".

Note that we do not really know what President Obama is announcing tonight. If what I have read is true, it is not amnesty for illegals, but a delay in deportation proceedures for those illegals of US citizens (or those legally here) such as parents.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Here is a link to the transcript of the 1984 televised debate between President Reagan and Walter Mondale:

CPD: October 21, 1984 Debate Transcript

Scroll down to the part about illegal immigration and you will find President Reagan laying the groundwork for his executive order a few years later:

"But it is true our borders are out of control. It is also true that this has been a situation on our borders back through a number of administrations. And I supported this bill. I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and who have lived here even though sometime back they may have entered illegally".

Note that we do not really know what President Obama is announcing tonight. If what I have read is true, it is not amnesty for illegals, but a delay in deportation proceedures for those illegals of US citizens (or those legally here) such as parents.
Reagan signed a piece of legislation passed by congress granting anmesty to 3 million illegals. The Simpson-Mazzoli Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies