Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times

Advertisements

I have always found it odd that people look at you weird when you tell them you are doing nothing for the Christmas season . I don't bother with a tree or decorating the house ...I mean really why ? I mean I have hated Christmas since I was a kid and it has not gotten any better so I don't want to be reminded of it everywhere I look .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 11:52 AM

646 posts, read 465,043 times
Do they, really? I assume you are not talking about strangers as they would have no idea what kind of religion you belong to. Obviously, as a Muslim or Jew, you wouldn't celebrate Christmas.

As far as family members/friends go - they probably just want you to enjoy it as much as they do and cannot understand your dislike. Be patient and at some point they will get used to your opinion. At least you can hope for that.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:21 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Because not celebrating Christmas is very
unusual.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Frankly because they see you as a oddity in a world where most do. Without explaining they might just have a image of you as Scrooge pop up in the minds; then of course your out of their minds and they move on ;forgetting you. I;d think it would do the same in your mind as to moving on ;but apparently not. People ask me what I am doing for Halloween; I say staying at home and giving candy out to kids. They look at me odd sometimes. I just dismiss it has having answered their question and move on what I was doing.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:44 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have always found it odd that people look at you weird when you tell them you are doing nothing for the Christmas season . I don't bother with a tree or decorating the house ...I mean really why ? I mean I have hated Christmas since I was a kid and it has not gotten any better so I don't want to be reminded of it everywhere I look .
I don't "hate" Christmas and never have. It was actually my favorite season of the year, always. However, these days I do nothing and it's okay. Even living alone, and knowing I wasn't having family over or anything, I still did the tree, decorating, baking, cooking, etc.. One year I decided not to and, while it felt a bit strange, it was fine. I haven't done anything for Christmas for the past six years. I don't recall anyone asking me what I doing for Christmas so I don't have to think about what to say. If they did I'd say "Nothing". I decided that I really hate dragging all that stuff out, putting it all up and then having to take it all down and store it again. Lot of work! One year it was almost Valentine's Day before I got it all done. lol

Old 11-20-2014, 01:54 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Because not celebrating Christmas is very
unusual.
Especially when we have it shoved down our throats from September through January. Christmas has become a frenzied retail orgy. The holiday itself has no meaning, but if you aren't out there melting your credit cards and buying crap people make you out to be some sort of scrooge. If you ask them why they are going dizzy with buying, they have no idea other than "because it's Christmas".

Chalk one up for Wal- Mart. They have done a great job of brainwashing the masses. If you don't play along, you are considered an oddity/unusual.

Go to England sometime for Christmas. It is a very tasteful, thoughtful, sober and wonderful holiday. People buy a gift. They give it in a loving and thoughtful manner. They celebrate Boxing Day on the day after Christmas, and it is done.

There is no reason to make it a commercial orgy which, if you don't play along, you are considered some sort of deviant.

Bah Humbug.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
If my living room wasn't a jumble of stuff moved so I could get the furnace on (it is NOT supposed to get down to 14 in mid November here) I'd do something for Yule. A tree of sorts, some decorations, and do a ceremony for the shortest day of the year, and the beginning of the return of the sun. But I couldn't get the heater to come on so had to get it serviced and still need to do some cold air leakage.

I don't celebrate christmas since I'm not christan when people insist it is about jesus. If its the generic, arguably commercial but non religious one where families get together and share gifts and dinner and see relatives you don't see so often, then fine.

Before I moved the 'family' gettogether was not on the 25th half the time since my sil hosted her families and her husband's families so we swapped out the 'real' day.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:39 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times
I don't "do" Christmas anymore either.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Christmas is a uniquely American Holiday.

We didn't have many holidays and this wasn't a huge event in Europe, so we expanded it to make it what it is today. As such, like Thanksgiving, most Americans participate in some way, form, or fashion.

I only bought a tree last year because my family started coming to my house. If no one is coming, I'm going to someone elses house, so I won't be decorating

Old 11-20-2014, 03:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Especially when we have it shoved down our throats from September through January. Christmas has become a frenzied retail orgy. The holiday itself has no meaning, but if you aren't out there melting your credit cards and buying crap people make you out to be some sort of scrooge. If you ask them why they are going dizzy with buying, they have no idea other than "because it's Christmas".

Chalk one up for Wal- Mart. They have done a great job of brainwashing the masses. If you don't play along, you are considered an oddity/unusual.

Go to England sometime for Christmas. It is a very tasteful, thoughtful, sober and wonderful holiday. People buy a gift. They give it in a loving and thoughtful manner. They celebrate Boxing Day on the day after Christmas, and it is done.

There is no reason to make it a commercial orgy which, if you don't play along, you are considered some sort of deviant.

Bah Humbug.
Don't see how Walmart can be blamed for all of that. I've seen the Christmas 'stuff' out in the grocery stores, drug stores, sporting goods, etc. since before Halloween. What about Target and K Mart? Surely they can accept their share of "blame".

I don't think not spending money makes anyone a "deviant". Or, if it does, then I are one. It was fun when my kids were growing up. Not so much now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies