Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
If it had been one of your posts I would not have asked the question because you generally seem to be quite cognizant of what the subject in a discussion is all about. I wasn't so sure about the o.p. but you are correct in that the written word can lose the humorous aspects for some of us.
Your last sentence illustrates my point. This would sound much funnier on a sitcom. However, in reality, and in written word, it sounds more disturbing than anything. When someone said that this was all satire, I needed to point out that most people aren't going to know it is satire, especially if it's written. If this was on Roseanne or Taxi, this might be funny.

One more thing I want to point out. It would help if people were to say that this was a joke. People would laugh if they don't know it is a joke.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Your last sentence illustrates my point. This would sound much funnier on a sitcom. However, in reality, and in written word, it sounds more disturbing than anything. When someone said that this was all satire, I needed to point out that most people aren't going to know it is satire, especially if it's written. If this was on Roseanne or Taxi, this might be funny.

One more thing I want to point out. It would help if people were to say that this was a joke. People would laugh if they don't know it is a joke.
I agree. I think the o.p edited his original post to reflect this.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
What a shame, Now, finally the spill of Republican Agenda is exposing itself, as to why Republican have been for more than a (3) decades trying to bring down every standard and system of humane support in American. In thier aim to remove the concept of Middle Class, and make this just a country of the Have's and the Have Nots.
They want to make it what it was during the Old Confederacy:
Wealthy(Slave Owners/Land Owners/Industry Owners, VS Indentured Servants/Slave Wage Workers.

Shipping jobs away, means the bulk of Americans (Indentured Servants) can be no more than clerks, promoting and selling foreign goods, (produced byforeign slave wage labor) - Only the Wealthy profit in this model. We've been watching it, and in doing so, we passively accepted it. They crashed the economy in 2008, this is a process of stripping homes from people whom they feel should not have it, crashing markets, wiping out pensions, reducing the community standards so property equity declines, and within these processes, there is a guaranteed stifiling of upward-mobility.
They have made University too Costly for YOUR kids, and wiped out any performance in any field that previous students paid their monies for degree labels.

Below, describes very well the generalized plan that Republican have been working on since the" modern era days" of Richard Nixon.

The progressive march towards a 2 class system, moves forward when you take the Progressive idea that there are only the ruling elite and the peasants.

Not all Republicans are Progressives that want the 2 class system. Some are for equal treatment for all, not just the chosen, from our government.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:50 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Post #24 reads like a summarized version of the Unabomber's manifesto, just with an anti-GOP partisan slant.
Do words or is it concepts that make your head hurt?

Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,083 times
Quote:
I agree. I think the o.p edited his original post to reflect this.

No doubt about it, I added it later...

My points still stand as to the nature and conditions of challenges being face, and my point still stands as to the gridlocking and voting against things which help the American People.
I guess some of you forgot the fuss the Republican made, in wanting to deny people Unemployment during the worst downtrend in Employment figures after the 2008 crash.
I guess many of you forgot the mess and challenges of people trying to get their houses refinanced, or the needs for University Student loans to need reforms and relief. I also guess many of you, because most as it seems on these threads is Republicans, utilize selective amnesia as a general rule, quickly forgot all the things republicans voted against which bills and measures which could and would help the American people.

The title of the post was excellent to demonstrate a point, I applaud the humorist for the way they put it together, I also, think it addresses the "Do Nothing Senate" and their acts that diminished the stature and conditions across this nations.

Now, as I said in another post. I hope the mindset of Republican awaken to start standing for the people of this nations and stop grandstanding, with this "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps" crap... and get real with the nature and realities of the human condition within life, as well as the issue this nation has to work beyond to become better.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Just added to the last line of the OP...

Baaahaaaahaaaa.

Yes, it was added as the last line, and it was put in Orange.

I still think the title and the script was just what it needed to be, it fit with the current living conditions as if it was pure candor, about something thats usually covered in political correctness which tries to hide the point.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
This is what happens to people who get their news from Comedy Central.

I generally don't watch much comedy, but after that piece, I may give it more attention. It seems to tell sometimes, points of truths that we don't want to see.

John Stewart and Steven Colbert seems to know satire well. and it prompts young people to think!!!! , Review and Investigate...

Old 11-20-2014, 03:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
John Stewart and Steven Colbert seems to know satire well.
Something you apparently need to work on.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:34 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
You do realize this article is a joke, right? As in political satire?
A little science-fiction tossed in with all the serious stuff going on not such a bad idea.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Post #24 reads like a summarized version of the Unabomber's manifesto, just with an anti-GOP partisan slant.

That post said exactly what it and many others written have been saying.
But one thing that it is, It's an inclusive structured post. Not one that is about exclusions and taking something from someone or denying something to those in need.

I don't grandstand talking about I did all of anything by myself, because it takes all within the world to make the world, and by what ever efforts or acts we engage, is equally so assisted by the past, present and may well be aided by the future acts of others.

If you can perceive of what that is saying, great. If not, Its not point to waste a challenge to a pointless contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies