U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 AM
 
16,925 posts, read 9,449,513 times
Reputation: 6888

Advertisements

Kim Strassel: The Next Prez and the Obama Way - WSJ

Good OpEd

Quote:
What really counts in this town is precedent. And the ace news is that your predecessor blew up about 230 years of it. We’ve attached an 87-page list (check your spam box) of President Obama ’s unilateral actions: altering the ObamaCare statute; refusing to enforce federal drug laws; granting waivers to education reforms; using Justice Department suits to impose new industry rules; drafting agency regulations to go around Congress. Don’t forget 2014, when he rewrote federal immigration law. Like, all of it. By himself.
Democrats and Obama supposedly cared about reigning in executive power and blasted Bush for expanding it, have now expanded it dramatically more than Bush did. Obama has set a precedent for the next president to take vast license and if that next president is as Republican and is abusive as Obama, Democrats will instantly flip back to having a conscience on the issue again.

Oh, who are we kidding, Obama supporters have already shown that they don't have a conscience on issues - just that Obama is always right like the good sheep that they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 AM
 
69,360 posts, read 56,626,057 times
Reputation: 9370
Not a peep out of Democrats other than a voice of support..

Which is why I have no respect for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 06:05 AM
 
Location: My little patch of Earth
6,193 posts, read 4,679,133 times
Reputation: 3048
Precedent has been established for future presidents.

And the fun begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Florida
23,134 posts, read 11,754,822 times
Reputation: 8630
Yes , Obama denies he is a dictator , but we know when he denies it, it is the truth. Obama dictating to the people instead of adhering to what the Constitution says is his limits because of the balance of power we have under our government.

Obama is ignoring his limits and doing what he wants. This is being a dictator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 12:09 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,895 posts, read 16,228,198 times
Reputation: 6455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yes , Obama denies he is a dictator , but we know when he denies it, it is the truth. Obama dictating to the people instead of adhering to what the Constitution says is his limits because of the balance of power we have under our government.

Obama is ignoring his limits and doing what he wants. This is being a dictator.
We all know that Obama is totally FOS most of the time. But he does love to get even and even he is getting.

He is a dictator, he dictates what is going to happen, and makes sure that it will. Obama wants the balance of power to be totally his and his alone. Obama had an agenda, say it all the time, and will make sure that his agenda is met at any cost, no matter if the cost is to American Citizens.

Another words excuse my French please, Obama doesn't give a fudg about Americans Period. What about our poor, our homeless, and our middle class left out in the freaken boonies. What about them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,604 posts, read 32,133,988 times
Reputation: 29125
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We all know that Obama is totally FOS most of the time. But he does love to get even and even he is getting.

He is a dictator, he dictates what is going to happen, and makes sure that it will. Obama wants the balance of power to be totally his and his alone. Obama had an agenda, say it all the time, and will make sure that his agenda is met at any cost, no matter if the cost is to American Citizens.

Another words excuse my French please, Obama doesn't give a fudg about Americans Period. What about our poor, our homeless, and our middle class left out in the freaken boonies. What about them!
At his crowning....umm....inauguration I turned to my wife and said, "Obama hates America!" She cautioned me to wait and see. I told her it's evident and then kept quiet about it. Within a year she admitted to me that I had been right from the outset. All the Greet columns and other trappings of imperialism support the fact that he thinks he's the Emperor and has total disdain for this country, our Constitution and the rule of law/separation of powers.

What's really sad and as so evidenced here on C-D and elsewhere is that his adherents/sycophants are no different than the blind followers and supporters of Kim, Jong Un. Dictatorship indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 01:30 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,953,331 times
Reputation: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Kim Strassel: The Next Prez and the Obama Way - WSJ

Good OpEd

"What really counts in this town is precedent. And the ace news is that your predecessor blew up about 230 years of it. We’ve attached an 87-page list (check your spam box) of President Obama ’s unilateral actions: altering the ObamaCare statute; refusing to enforce federal drug laws; granting waivers to education reforms; using Justice Department suits to impose new industry rules; drafting agency regulations to go around Congress. Don’t forget 2014, when he rewrote federal immigration law. Like, all of it. By himself."

Democrats and Obama supposedly cared about reigning in executive power and blasted Bush for expanding it, have now expanded it dramatically more than Bush did. Obama has set a precedent for the next president to take vast license and if that next president is as Republican and is abusive as Obama, Democrats will instantly flip back to having a conscience on the issue again.

Oh, who are we kidding, Obama supporters have already shown that they don't have a conscience on issues - just that Obama is always right like the good sheep that they are.
Sadly, Ms. Strassel is just a pundit and does not understand the legal contours of the Executive Power of the President of the United States (or of the executive agencies under the President's administration).

In short, HHS is entitled (obligated, even) to interpret the statutes it is charged with administering, including the ACA. That is not altering the statute--it is administering the statute.

It is not clear what Ms. Strassel is referring to in discussing the Justice Department (a sign of poor analysis is ambiguity). If she is referring to Operation Choke Point, then she is demonstrating a lack of knowledge. Operation Choke Point simply enforces existing consumer protection laws.

No Child Left Behind waivers are authorized by the Elementary And Secondary Education Act (section 9401).

Again, it is unclear what Ms. Strassel refers to by saying "drafting agency regulations to go around Congress." Federal agencies are responsible for interpreting and enforcing (literally) thousands of federal laws. They draft regulations that interpret those laws and regulations that govern enforcement of those laws. That practice is well within constitutional standards. In fact, "conservative" Justice Scalia wrote many of the standards governing constitutional analysis of agency interpretation and regulation. Without something more specific (tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of regulations are written or refined every year), it is impossible to analyze what Ms. Strassel is referring to.

Finally, the Executive Order does not rewrite federal immigration law. It simply alters the priority of prosecution of existing federal law. Here is a chance to educate yourself on what, exactly, the President's order does:
Obama’s executive order on immigration is good policy, as well as good law – but not quite as good as it may seem - The Washington Post
Obama, immigration, and the rule of law [updated with additional material on precedents for Obama's action] - The Washington Post
Not everything the president wants to do is illegal - The Washington Post
Your complete guide to Obama’s immigration executive action - The Washington Post
How far can Obama go on deportations? - The Washington Post
President Obama should not act unilaterally on immigration - The Washington Post

The Executive Order does not rewrite federal immigration law at all. It does what prior president's have done and prioritizes law enforcement in a systematic way.

Executive authority is broad, and has been for decades. Obama's administrative actions do not extend executive authority, but work well within the contours of Executive authority described in Supreme Court precedent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yes , Obama denies he is a dictator , but we know when he denies it, it is the truth. Obama dictating to the people instead of adhering to what the Constitution says is his limits because of the balance of power we have under our government.

Obama is ignoring his limits and doing what he wants. This is being a dictator.
He is well within the limits, according to how they have been interpreted by the Supreme Court. In fact, none other than Justice Scalia wrote in Freytag v. Commissioner: "Thus, it was not enough simply to repose the power to execute the laws (or to appoint) in the President; it was also necessary to provide him with the means to resist legislative encroachment upon that power." Dissenting in Morrison v. Olsen, Scalia wrote: "since the statute vests some purely executive power in a person who is not the President of the United States it is void."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 01:33 PM
 
4,176 posts, read 4,107,620 times
Reputation: 1667
Well, GOP, maybe next time you won't run a multi-millionaire plutocrat for president. Maybe you won't run a guy who openly expresses his visceral disgust for half of Americans.

Nah, of course you will. Carry on, boys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,870 posts, read 7,904,312 times
Reputation: 16738
One simple point; When Obama finaly leaves, Hillary Clinton expects to benefit from the horde of people voting on the basis of what they have to gain rather than what they have to lose.

The problem is the Democats and their lack of any principles other than that the end jusifies the means, and that their platform must be directed to the lowest common denominator of thinking.

If you think things would change under Hillary, you have another think coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Well, GOP, maybe next time you won't run a multi-millionaire plutocrat for president. Maybe you won't run a guy who openly expresses his visceral disgust for half of Americans.

Nah, of course you will. Carry on, boys!
I could raise a similar point about Democraats who preach class warfare about anyone who has more dollars, brain cells, or scruples than their pointing-and-grunting core constituency.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-21-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Riverside
4,088 posts, read 3,772,711 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Kim Strassel: The Next Prez and the Obama Way - WSJ

Good OpEd



Democrats and Obama supposedly cared about reigning in executive power and blasted Bush for expanding it, have now expanded it dramatically more than Bush did. Obama has set a precedent for the next president to take vast license and if that next president is as Republican and is abusive as Obama, Democrats will instantly flip back to having a conscience on the issue again.

Oh, who are we kidding, Obama supporters have already shown that they don't have a conscience on issues - just that Obama is always right like the good sheep that they are.
And "poof" goes the GOP agenda!!!

LMFAO at how easily Obama knocked the wheels of your little red wagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top