Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:30 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Only parts that don't violate the constitution.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-26-2014 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: violent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
No. If they want to live under Sharia law, they should live in a Muslim country.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Lots of laws are passed without constitutionality in mind. Thats where the courts decide what is and isn't.

Can a local community outlaw pork products? Why not? They outlaw alcohol
I'm not a legal expert here, but there is obviously a long history of case law that supports the idea that regulating alcohol consumption is a legitimate government interest. I know of no such precedent regarding pork consumption.

I suppose a muslim-majority american city will someday exist, and that they might try to ban pork products. We'll have to wait until such a situation exists, and see what happens. Or maybe you will - I'm not likely to live that long.

But I will say that one of the basic federal ideas is that any law must serve a legitimate public interest. That's what the supreme court decided regarding the federal DOMA. I'm not interested in rehashing here whether they were right or wrong - my point is that the legitimate public interest is a pretty bedrock standard for making law.

I'm sure that banning pork sales and/or consumption could not meet that standard today. Could it ever? Dunno.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:09 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
No, just like Christians should not be able to impose their biblical laws. This is not a theocracy and I believe the majority of us like it that way!!! FYI, I'm just answering your question. Didn't read the post.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:15 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
1/3 of Shariah Law deals with how to treat non-believers, so it goes without saying that Shariah should only be implemented in communities where Muslims make up the a significant portion of the population, and it should apply to everyone who lives there. Insha'Allah.

Even smart American professors in the heart of the Bible Belt know that this is the only solution to America's social problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HZCji5jeMQ

Allahu Akbar!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Religious nuts of all stripes populate the airwaves and the internet, and fantasize how wonderful it will be when americans are ruled according to their desires.

Good thing we have a secular constitution, and that most americans want to see it stay that way.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Isn't is against the Constitution to ban Sharia Law?
This right here is the single most important question asked on this forum.

Why? It undermines so many people and shows that certain ideologies are more rooted in bias than anything else.

Yes, I'm singling out the right on this one. I'll keep it short. They claim that freedom of religion means they can ban gay marriage for everybody (at least within their community, but 'community' can be vague and vary in size) because that's just their faith. But suddenly, a different faith shows up and they can't do that. Now, I agree. They can't. But this proves that the right isn't really 'if it's in the constitutions then go for it.' They want what's best for themselves. The left does it too of course, but this particular thread doesn't really illustrate that.

But the answer is no. Sharia law cannot be forced upon anyone. That's what freedom of religion actually means. Any religious law must be followed voluntarily. The state cannot adopt any religions law or allow for individuals to force their personal convictions onto others.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
There is one set of laws and Sharia is not it.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:22 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm not a legal expert here, but there is obviously a long history of case law that supports the idea that regulating alcohol consumption is a legitimate government interest. I know of no such precedent regarding pork consumption.

I'm sure that banning pork sales and/or consumption could not meet that standard today. Could it ever? Dunno.
I don't think consumption is banned anywhere - just sales. What if a Muslim majority wants to ban alcohol sales? That would be an interesting test case.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:58 AM

1 posts, read 582 times
Default Muslims and sharia laws

Greetings
America doesn't know if she is coming or going, she started out as a Christian nation but now she rejects the laws of God. Would a muslim nation allow an American to implement any Christian laws in their Arab countries? no way, so because of so called freedom of speech etc America endangers herself once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies