Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:16 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Except of course, ACA is NOT the GOP version of healthcare...

The GOP proposal was to allow people to SAVE THEIR OWN MONEY tax free.

Not give it to the government.

The stupid ones are those who bought the talking point that giving money to the government, is the same as saving your own money..

You guys have been told this before but you continue to embarass yourself and think its the same.
Afraid ACA is a hybrid plan from the 90s republican plan and Romneycare. There are already programs in place that you can save your money tax free and the republican plan was based off more than HSAs and FSAs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 05:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,754,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
But we are wasting it in places we shouldn't be. When are we going to demand that the government stops that? The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are again ramping up.
Worse than that, we put the wars on the credit card, so we get interest payments as well.

All, good bipartisan discussion. I am pleasantly surprised.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Because in the Clinton years it was gone over by senate and it could not make markup rules-paid for. Democrat Hillary Clinton headed the mark up for the administration. That is why democrats shifted to ACA. Medicaid is our single payer for poor.
I don't agree. I think Democrats would go for an ACA type thing if it had been put forward by Republicans. It is not a partisan issue on its face. The GOP made it one by raging against the idea and putting themselves on the wrong side of history. Most people are interested in the social justice and compassion element. I bet just about every one of us can think of someone who was struck down by an early illness or accident and fell through the safety net. In my case, it is my brother who contracted bone cancer at 12. He lost a leg, but has never had a recurrence-thank goodness. He is an excellent computer programmer, but he always took government jobs, fearing he would not get insurance otherwise. Pre-existing condition. My point is that this was an area where reform was needed for the betterment of society, and there is no reason that it has been politicized as it has.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Afraid ACA is a hybrid plan from the 90s republican plan and Romneycare. There are already programs in place that you can save your money tax free and the republican plan was based off more than HSAs and FSAs....
Wrong again, but continue moving the goalpost

The 90's Republican plan allowed people to establish individual health savings accounts and as the value of them grew, they would need less insurance thus saving them money.

Romenycare gives people tax credits to buy health insurance..

ACA is the exact OPPOSITE of both of these...

Both of them would have offered real savings and actually increased the number of insured..

Doing the opposite, leads to the opposite result, hence why ACA IS A COMPLETE FAILURE...

Old 11-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
This right here!!!! And that means everyone pays. No exceptions. And that means if you can't afford to pop out more kids, then no more kids. Don't get me wrong.. I love the sound of children and their joyous laughter. But, I raised mine and am enjoying spoiling my grandkid. I'm not responsible for anyone else's.
Sure, I agree. I think that when a huge proportion of people does not pay taxes, it is fundamentally unfair. Anything this big has to be fully supported. The good news is that with such support, the medical catastrophes that used to decimate individuals would not be a big problem in such a large pool. I think there should be tax credits for healthy living too.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:51 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems to me that most of the critiques of the ACA have to do with the horrific complexity of demanding people buy insurance, when some of us get it through our work, etc. What not just develop a single payer system like all the rest of the first world? That would be better for our citizens and would help our businesses compete. People could add to a public system, if they had the means, just like people do with private education.

I know the insurance lobby would fight this ferociously, but I have a hard time believing the needs of the general population could not prevail. The ACA is basically the GOP-designed approach for working through insurance companies, and it seems pretty inefficient. Single payer just seems much less complex and more just. The health of our citizens should not be meted out by insurance adjusters.
Why not do it the easy way I will pay for mine, you pay for yours and we get what we want and its fare for everyone because each person pays there own way.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:53 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems to me that most of the critiques of the ACA have to do with the horrific complexity of demanding people buy insurance, when some of us get it through our work, etc. What not just develop a single payer system like all the rest of the first world? That would be better for our citizens and would help our businesses compete. People could add to a public system, if they had the means, just like people do with private education.

I know the insurance lobby would fight this ferociously, but I have a hard time believing the needs of the general population could not prevail. The ACA is basically the GOP-designed approach for working through insurance companies, and it seems pretty inefficient. Single payer just seems much less complex and more just. The health of our citizens should not be meted out by insurance adjusters.

The ACA is basically 100% Dem passed.
Cut the crap.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wrong again, but continue moving the goalpost

The 90's Republican plan allowed people to establish individual health savings accounts and as the value of them grew, they would need less insurance thus saving them money.

Romenycare gives people tax credits to buy health insurance..

ACA is the exact OPPOSITE of both of these...

Both of them would have offered real savings and actually increased the number of insured..

Doing the opposite, leads to the opposite result, hence why ACA IS A COMPLETE FAILURE...
The 1993 bill would have established standardized benefits, creation of purchasing pools, individual mandate, and vouchers for the poor.

Romneycare.... What is the difference between giving someone a tax credit or subsidy? They both come out of revenue....

Sounds like you got tricked by your Republican buddies....

Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The ACA is basically 100% Dem passed.
Cut the crap.
Let's be honest here, not all democrats are equal and not all republicans are equal. ACA was the culmination of a lot of compromise within the Democratic party (single payer wouldn't get passed by Dems) and hoping the Republicans would support something that more embodied conservatism (albeit it seems the far right is more powerful than when the 1993 Chaffe (R) Bill was introduced).

Old 11-22-2014, 06:14 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why not Single Payer?
If the Fed CANNOT run a small scale , the VA, efficiently, what makes you think they can run a system 100 times bigger?

Some of those country's you are talking about are haveing HUGE problems. NONE of them are as perfect as some seem to think.

Plus the GAO has determined several top federal agencies, to include DOD, cannot be audited because their books are too effed-up.

Do we really want to trust our health care to the same government that lost Lois Learner's E-mails?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies