Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times

Advertisements

Michael Eric Dyson owned Giuliani in that debate. As long as conservatives like this guy uses false equivalencies in discussions, they won't have a leg to stand on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think it has more to do with the income level of the communities and not so much the race. A poor community will certainly have more crime compared to a middle/upper class community.
There are plenty of poor white communities in the sticks. Are they killing each other at the rates blacks are?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Michael Eric Dyson owned Giuliani in that debate. As long as conservatives like this guy uses false equivalencies in discussions, they won't have a leg to stand on...
That's funny because I saw it the exact other way around.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:13 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
That's funny because I saw it the exact other way around.
Exactly, but that is not the popular opinion here. What he said was that the police are in the neighborhoods because the crime is so high. MED said that they get arrested when they commit a crime. Duh! Who does he think has to arrest the murderers, etc.? When you have high crime, you have a high police presence. You want to get rid of the police presence? Bring down your crime, clean up your neighborhoods. Hire exclusively black cops for black neighborhoods if that is what will make this minister happy. Let them police their own neighborhoods, it will likely be more effective.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:39 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Interesting how the left likes to assign collective responsibility, yet refuses to assign collective blame. In other words, we all have a responsibility to pay for social welfare programs, but when it comes to crime then it's just the individual that's responsible for his conduct.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Interesting how the left likes to assign collective responsibility, yet refuses to assign collective blame. In other words, we all have a responsibility to pay for social welfare programs, but when it comes to crime then it's just the individual that's responsible for his conduct.
The same people (and in this case person) will rail white (collective) pride as well, all the while hail black and other various forms of (collective) pride.

Walking contradictions, the entire lot.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
"White Police Officers Won't Be There If You Weren't Killing Each Other 70% Of The Time"

To be quite honest, Dyson is not the one killing other Black people. When someone tells me "if you wouldn't do this or that", I take it personal. I'm not the one perpetuating crimes and doing stupid stuff. Guliani could have said "police officers wouldn't have to work as hard if those thugs didn't murder each other".

When I say something, I assign blame to the actual persons responsible, the thugs who are committing crimes. There is no "you people" with me. It is "those specific thugs" who are responsible.
Good post. However, people in this forum call people racist for using the word thug.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:08 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
To be fair, he never really let Giuliani finish his point. The debate was basically over before it started.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
One thing that I rarely hear pointed out about this notion of the disproportionate amount of police officers is the dramatic shift in population in Ferguson over the course of 10 years or so. The white population dropped 15% from 2000 to 2010. That is a huge shift!!! Perhaps the makeup of the police force can largely be attributed to representing the population before the shift. Even if it was disproportionate then, how do you account for representing such a huge change in your population?

Also I thin Giuliani made some points that I think is fair. I don't care if Michael Eric Dyson is a minister, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? The reality is, when was the last time you seen him on Meet the Press to be that passionate about a black on black crime? There maybe times when the claims of mistreatment are legitimate, but these arguments are missing the bigger issue and trivializing young lives. People are so quick to turn these situations into opportunities of social justice but when you have 10 people being gunned down in Chicago during the weekends while you are protesting in Ferguson, what does that say about how much you value these young peoples lives? No honestly, is this about making a point or about saving lives?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
There are plenty of poor white communities in the sticks. Are they killing each other at the rates blacks are?
Are poor black people in the sticks killing each other at the same rate as poor black people in the urban hoods? A better comparison would be poor white people in urban communities. Poor and urban tend to be the high crime areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies