Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I admit that I cannot tell the differences between a real gun and a fake gun. But should we let this kind of tragedy happen over and over again?

I understand that police officers are doing tough job and I have tremendous respect for them. But seriously, there are a lot of debates, and a lot of arguments, just no solutions.

Do I believe the 12 year old who played fake guns and didn't listen to cops deserve to die? No, I don't. I guess this belief makes me ignorant.

Oh well.

And neither can a lot of people, including cops...these guns are so realistic that is why they put the bright orange thing on the end...to be able to quickly identify the gun as a fake....and you are NOT supposed to take it off....

No, your belief is right...but there were many calls that said the little kid was pointing the gun at people...

What if the gun was not real? Did you ever think of that, and the kid did shoot the cop? Then how would you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
I really don't know what the solution is. I just feel very sad for the parents.
Yes, now, this cop has to live with his decision....

Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
well, I see that many posters don't agree with me. Okay, point taken. And I understand my knowledge is limited.

But this much I do know, For combat soldiers, its meaning is clear: when in doubt, shoot first and ask questions later. Radical change of rules of engagement kill soldiers. and My brother was a Marine, I understand this concept.

But police officers job is NOT a soldier's job no matter how much you want to spin this. Police and soldiers jobs are NOT the same. Ask the police to become the soldiers will lead to disaster. This tragedy just proves it.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
The witness who made the initial 911 call to police told the dispatcher that the boy's gun may not have been real and that he was a juvenile, according to audio released by the Cleveland Police Department on Sunday.

Boy Carrying Toy Gun Dies After Being Shot by Cleveland Police - ABC News

Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM

998 posts, read 665,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I agree to an extent.

If it were in a dark corner of a building and the kid pulls a toy gun like that, I can understand. In this case specifically, the calls to 911 mentioned it was a toy gun, specifically mentioned it was a toy gun.

Some toy guns look very real, I used to have them when I was a child.

You have to ask yourself, if this were a white child, would the outcome have been different? I have a soon to be 11 year old son, and he is big for his age. As big as some 15/16 year olds. Of course I'm white, but if I were African American, I'd fear for my child if I lived in a low income area.
Please show me the tape where the caller specifically mentions it's a toy gun. The article stated that the caller suggested that it might be a toy... there's clearly a distinction there, so don't try to white wash over that fact to meet your own personal agenda.

And the reason we don't see white kids being shot for pointing replica guns at officers is because they don't do it... they're smarter than that. They were taught by their mother and father to not point guns at people; not even toy guns. And they're brought up in a culture that respects law and order, unlike black kids, who are raised in environments of "snitches get stiches" and cooperating with the police is labeled as "acting white".

Old 11-24-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
The witness who made the initial 911 call to police told the dispatcher that the boy's gun may not have been real and that he was a juvenile, according to audio released by the Cleveland Police Department on Sunday.

Boy Carrying Toy Gun Dies After Being Shot by Cleveland Police - ABC News
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Please show me the tape where the caller specifically mentions it's a toy gun. The article stated that the caller suggested that it might be a toy... there's clearly a distinction there, so don't try to white wash over that fact to meet your own personal agenda.

And the reason we don't see white kids being shot for pointing replica guns at officers is because they don't do it... they're smarter than that. They were taught by their mother and father to not point guns at people; not even toy guns. And they're not brought up in a culture that respects law and order, unlike black kids, who are raised in environments of "snitches get stiches" and cooperating with the police is labeled as "acting white".
See the above quote from ABC

Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And neither can a lot of people, including cops...these guns are so realistic that is why they put the bright orange thing on the end...to be able to quickly identify the gun as a fake....and you are NOT supposed to take it off....

No, your belief is right...but there were many calls that said the little kid was pointing the gun at people...

What if the gun was not real? Did you ever think of that, and the kid did shoot the cop? Then how would you feel?
Yes. I guess you gave me something to think about.

If a kid did shoot the cop and the cop happened to be my brother, I would want the kid dead. I am not going to lie.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:58 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
I agree to an extent.

If it were in a dark corner of a building and the kid pulls a toy gun like that, I can understand. In this case specifically, the calls to 911 mentioned it was a toy gun, specifically mentioned it was a toy gun.

Some toy guns look very real, I used to have them when I was a child.

You have to ask yourself, if this were a white child, would the outcome have been different? I have a soon to be 11 year old son, and he is big for his age. As big as some 15/16 year olds. Of course I'm white, but if I were African American, I'd fear for my child if I lived in a low income area.
here's the problem with that:

Old 11-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
here's the problem with that:
Well we don't know that for sure, they'll check the records to see if the dispatcher made that information known. If not, then that shows a serious lack of information transfer between dispatchers and the officer.

I don't, necessarily believe a police union official.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:01 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
[/quote]

Quote:
well, I see that many posters don't agree with me. Okay, point taken. And I understand my knowledge is limited.

But this much I do know, For combat soldiers, its meaning is clear: when in doubt, shoot first and ask questions later. Radical change of rules of engagement kill soldiers. and My brother was a Marine, I understand this concept.

But police officers job is NOT a soldier's job no matter how much you want to spin this. Police and soldiers jobs are NOT the same. Ask the police to become the soldiers will lead to disaster. This tragedy just proves it.
The only thing this tragedy proves is how hard of a job being a police officer is. Had he hesitated and the gun was real he would be the one being buried. Another thing is the lack of parenting this kid had. I knew at the age of 12 if a cop told me to do something I did exactly as he asks, and to this day I still do. And lastly , why was the orange cap thing removed ? What was the intention of that ? If this kid thought it would make the gun look real... well he achieved that now didn't he ? Again , a parenting fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies