Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Interesting. In a true meritocracy, whites would be the minority, and Harvard doesn't like this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/25/op...an-region&_r=0
The NAACP is suing NY Magnet schools for having too many asians and not enough blacks because the test scores aren't fair or other things should be considered etc.

Since you are accusing Harvard of being racist res ipso facto the NAACP is trying to push a racist policy.

I figure this is just another of your drive-by racist posts but I wanted to make sure that the illogic and hypocrisy is fully exposed.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
many of the whites admitted are legacies(affirmative action for whites), yet whites whine if a black gets in with affirmative action.

you'll never hear conservative whites mention legacies though, because that means they lose the advantage.

Define "many". Just remember that they report admission stats including legacy admissions. So go ahead - define "many".

Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
So freaking racist, this entire post.

All blacks come from the projects?
All whites have blue collar parents and must have jobs as teenagers?

Only truthful thing in your whole post is:

Which means they should be discriminated against when they apply for college, because your parents didn't?

And the college entrance exams are the GPA equalizer. If you got a 3.5 at Impossibly Hard HS, and someone else got a 3.9 at You Get Points For Having A Pulse Academy, the SAT/ACT will quickly sort out who has the more legit academic qualifications for their school. But if your parents don't value academics as much as other parents, and you get a B average your parents are cool with, why should the kid who got straight A's their whole life be discriminated against? Oh, that's right, you are one of the racists that believes skin color determines diversity. Not diversity of thought, interests, or life experience, but skin color, since as all good racists know, every black person has the exact same life, and every white person has the exact same life, and so on and so on.

Do you see the twisted logic of collectivism's rot and decay in your own post? Because Asian parents value education, and go to great lengths to help their children succeed academically...those kids should be penalized so that other kids with parents who don't GAFF about school can attend top shelf universities they are probably not qualified to attend in the first freaking place. That's your logic. A black kid from the projects should take the slot of an Asian kid with a 4.0 and 1600 SAT SOLELY because of race and living in the projects, neither of which has bupkus to do with academics, and this is fine because that Asian had an unfair advantage - parents who care.

So in your worldview (and this is very common to collectivism btw), everyone gets to suffer because of their parents. If your parents suck, well, then you suffer naturally. And if your parents are awesome, well then government and universities should penalize you for that and inflict the suffering you missed out on. Basically, we should legislate it until everyone is equally miserable, because how dare any parents care about their kids' educations and give them an unfair advantage when competing with kids whose parents don't really freaking care?
Actually my Management training program out of College GPA and School was only part of hiring process. My Wife for instance graduated on time with a 130 credit degree in four years while holding down a 40 hour a week job to pay her own way through school with around a 3.4 GPA. I find that very impressive. An person who went away to school with a 3.9 who did not work at all during college who has two rich educated parents. Not so much.

I say the Asian should always win if it is an equal playing field. I know kids who graduated HS with good grades with alcholic parents who were acting as a mother or father to younger sibblings while dead broke. That is more of a accomplishment than graduating with great grades if all you have to do is study all day and mommy writes you checks and does your laundry

Old 11-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Funny but true story, I was giving a speech around three years ago to a MBA class near gradutation. Around 300 of them mostly Asian. Afterwards I was at cocktail reception and this pretty asian girl wanted to know my secret. I go what secret, she is like you kinda admit you never studied in school or cared about grades yet you have big job and make a lot of money. I want to know how to do that.

I laughed but I thought about it, studying around the clock does not equip one for work. I can talk about music, sports, cars, good clubs, good restaurants, sports, tons of stuff. Partially cause I do stuff. The education gets you in the door but by 40 all advantage is gone. Also I am extremely good looking and extemely modest which helps

Old 11-25-2014, 02:41 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Funny but true story, I was giving a speech around three years ago to a MBA class near gradutation. Around 300 of them mostly Asian. Afterwards I was at cocktail reception and this pretty asian girl wanted to know my secret. I go what secret, she is like you kinda admit you never studied in school or cared about grades yet you have big job and make a lot of money. I want to know how to do that.

I laughed but I thought about it, studying around the clock does not equip one for work. I can talk about music, sports, cars, good clubs, good restaurants, sports, tons of stuff. Partially cause I do stuff. The education gets you in the door but by 40 all advantage is gone. Also I am extremely good looking and extemely modest which helps
Depends on the job of course.

If it's an MBA but the job has a heavy sales angle then that's of course the big equalizer as that in and of itself is a big gift.

Now, for things like brain surgery and designing computer chips.....not so much.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:13 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Asian Americans voted for Democrats and Obama in huge numbers, up to 80 percent, so let them reap with they sow.
What? wait..
WHAT?

WHAT THE...............???????????????????????????????? ?????????????

Old 11-25-2014, 03:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
What's fair or unfair in.Harvard's case?

For the millionth time...It's an exclusive country club with classrooms.

Is it fair that Augusta National won't give me a tee time or membership?

Old 11-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The NAACP is suing NY Magnet schools for having too many asians and not enough blacks because the test scores aren't fair or other things should be considered etc.

Since you are accusing Harvard of being racist res ipso facto the NAACP is trying to push a racist policy.

I figure this is just another of your drive-by racist posts but I wanted to make sure that the illogic and hypocrisy is fully exposed.

Well the Bronx School of Science which is an excelent magnet school is nearly 100% Asian in a mainly black and hispanic neighborhood. Folks who live in neighborhood are forced to go to inferior schools.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:28 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The smartest kids go to MIT, not Harvard anyway.
I'd say Princeton.

and if we are talking about fine art, I would say Yale or UCLA

Old 11-25-2014, 03:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I'd say Princeton.
Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, Michigan, Cal Tech, Northwestern, Duke...all extremely selective.

It ain't only the Ivys with uber smart kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies