Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

Rising cost of child care may help explain recent increase in stay-at-home moms | Pew Research Center

After declining for several decades — bottoming out at 23% around the turn of the century — the share of stay-at-home mothers has risen in fits and starts over the past decade and a half, to 29% in 2012, according to the Pew Research analysis of census data.

While there are many reasons driving this trend, one likely reason is the rising cost of child care.

We should get those who are getting unemployment and welfare benefits off their butts and get those stay at home parents who want to work - but can't due to the crippling costs of child care - back in the job market.

Since those who are unemployed and are on welfare are already getting a paycheck for sitting around, it's about time they put their nose to the grindstone and take care of the nation's children and let the real workers get back to being productive. It's time to earn that paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Trust me..you DO NOT want the folks currently living on welfare taking care of your kids.
They can't even take care of their own kids.

We got a kindergartener this year that has never seen an eating utensil.
5 years old and he eats with his hands or sticks his face in the bowl.
A social worker is now at the school teaching this 5 year old how to eat and how to behave in public and how to properly go to the bathroom.
And CPS is nowhere to be seen.

Pretty pathetic eh ?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
I don't want someone who is content with "sitting around", collecting government benefits in charge of caring for my kids. No way!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 AM

998 posts, read 665,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Rising cost of child care may help explain recent increase in stay-at-home moms | Pew Research Center

After declining for several decades — bottoming out at 23% around the turn of the century — the share of stay-at-home mothers has risen in fits and starts over the past decade and a half, to 29% in 2012, according to the Pew Research analysis of census data.

While there are many reasons driving this trend, one likely reason is the rising cost of child care.

We should get those who are getting unemployment and welfare benefits off their butts and get those stay at home parents who want to work - but can't due to the crippling costs of child care - back in the job market.

Since those who are unemployed and are on welfare are already getting a paycheck for sitting around, it's about time they put their nose to the grindstone and take care of the nation's children and let the real workers get back to being productive. It's time to earn that paycheck.
Recruit people who are either too lazy or inept to hold a basic job... to watch my kids?

lmao. Worst idea ever. Pass.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Trust me..you DO NOT want the folks currently living on welfare taking care of your kids.
They can't even take care of their own kids.

We got a kindergartener this year that has never seen an eating utensil.
5 years old and he eats with his hands or sticks his face in the bowl.
A social worker is now at the school teaching this 5 year old how to eat and how to behave in public and how to properly go to the bathroom.
And CPS is nowhere to be seen.

Pretty pathetic eh ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don't want someone who is content with "sitting around", collecting government benefits in charge of caring for my kids. No way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Recruit people who are either too lazy or inept to hold a basic job... to watch my kids?

Have to agree with you three. That's what I thought when I saw the thread title.

OP, I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't have kids. Am I right?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:27 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:

If you really want those collecting unemployment and welfare off their butts, the best solution is to terminate such programs asap, not doubling down on them by creating another agency, bureaucracy, boondoggle etc.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:

F that.

Who in their right mind would want their kid being taken care of someone not willing or care enough to take care of their own business.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:39 PM

998 posts, read 665,100 times
In theory, I could say I agree with OP, so much that welfare collectors and the chronically unemployed should be doing something to "earn their keep". Watching children would be an awful idea, but at least give them a broom to push around for a couple hours a day on public property. If they can't show up for that, then cut them off. And don't give me the liberal go to line, "so you'd prefer they just die in the streets?" If you can't even do a couple hours of work a day for the public good to earn your government benefits, then we don't need you.

I think everyone needs something to do, or something they can take pride in, even if it's just picking up some litter and cleaning a place up.

Unfortunately, our current system encourages more reckless behavior rather than positive.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:00 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post

Yeah exactly! Most are better suited for things like picking up trash from the side of highways & such.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

It's the economy. Employees are a dime a dozen right now and employers have no incentive to work with parents. Back in the 90's when I had my kids, we had flexible work arrangements, on site day care and part time options. Those are hard to find today. The harder it is to be a working parent the more enticing SAH looks.

And no this is not a good idea. You need trained and qualified day care providers to have high quality day care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies