Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on the Privacy (pick 2)
I have nothing to hide, let them track me 24/7 3 6.98%
Im a bit concerned with the intrusion, but its ok if its for the greater good 7 16.28%
I dont like this at all. They shouldnt be tracking people except under extreme cases 28 65.12%
************************************ 3 6.98%
We will lose much if not all of our privacy 20 46.51%
We wont lose any more privacy than we already have 6 13.95%
We will get a rollback, and gain more privacy 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,695,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
no way would i ever be willing to live under that kinda scrutiny.
You already do most likely. Your employer probably test you for drugs and maybe even alcohol and nicotine too (some do) and he probably has a GPS unit on any company vehicle or cell phone they give to you. And most people don't have a problem with the boss spying on them so why would I care if the government is looking at me as I drive down the road? I don't. As long as they stay out of my house, that balance is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
It's not that they "could" - it's that they can.

Try having every keystroke logged - every web page screenshotted and looked through. Your every e-mail is screened before it reaches you. I've even had times when my computer was "taken over" - where I had no control over what documents they decide to look at. In fact, I sat at my desk, watched, and waited for them to get done this afternoon.

Imagine every conversation through your phone being recorded.

Oh wait. That's my life.

It's not so difficult to live with, but I gave up my "right to privacy" for a contract job. You know - the ones that always get complained about?

That being said, I don't think everybody should have to live under the microscope.
If everybody lives under a microscope, who is watching the microscope? People really overblow this privacy stuff. I mean REALLY. I have heard privacy nuts say things like "they record every phone call and intercept every email". Do you people have any idea how many government employees it would take to read every email and listen to every phone call?? The very idea is just outrageous!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Do you people have any idea how many government employees it would take to read every email and listen to every phone call?? The very idea is just outrageous!

KevK - why should the government listen in on my phone calls to begin with? And especially when they did not get a warrant to do so?

And, do you approve of the US becoming a Nanny state?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
KevK - why should the government listen in on my phone calls to begin with? And especially when they did not get a warrant to do so?

And, do you approve of the US becoming a Nanny state?
The USA should not be a nanny state but we need more balance towards the security and safety of the American people. I do not have a problem with a national ID card for citizens and legal residents of the country. Europe has long had them and if it helps keep millions of people from sneaking into the country or allows a police officer to verify the ID of a dangerous or wanted felon, so be it. I do not have a problem with biometrics being used. If I have to put my finger on a print reader when I use my credit card to verfiy that is really ME using it, fine by me. None of this interferes with my freedoms, rights or mobility one bit.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,129,341 times
No surprise that the UK is classified as an "endemic surveillance society" but I must admit I feel much less spied-on here in America than I did in the UK. I still think the UK is worse.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times
Quote:
The USA should not be a nanny state but we need more balance towards the security and safety of the American people. I do not have a problem with a national ID card for citizens and legal residents of the country. Europe has long had them and if it helps keep millions of people from sneaking into the country or allows a police officer to verify the ID of a dangerous or wanted felon, so be it. I do not have a problem with biometrics being used. If I have to put my finger on a print reader when I use my credit card to verfiy that is really ME using it, fine by me. None of this interferes with my freedoms, rights or mobility one bit.
KevK we finally agree at last....
I have no issue with finger printing or even DNA. I do have an issue with criminals walking around free to strike again and innocent people taking the blame.
Listening in on phone calls. Last I heard this is only done to those who like to call known and suspected terrorists and those who support them.
Internet not sure how it works but Someone told me that its based on keywords and phrases.
Monitoring banking same as phone calls. I have no issue if they listen in on people who like to chat with the bad guys.
Finger print me and make me prove its me when I use a credit card. No issue what so ever. Makes life for the bad guys a lot harder.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:57 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,439,137 times
Quote:
You already do most likely. Your employer probably test you for drugs and maybe even alcohol and nicotine too (some do) and he probably has a GPS unit on any company vehicle or cell phone they give to you. And most people don't have a problem with the boss spying on them so why would I care if the government is looking at me as I drive down the road? I don't. As long as they stay out of my house, that balance is good enough for me.
I dont have to deal with any of that.

Couldnt imagine it...

Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,765,805 times
Quote:
Unless you are doing something wrong or dishonest, why would anybody want to observe you? And even if they did, why would you worry over it?
Ask the mayor of Houston why, he and the police were going to fly droans over Houston and got caught before they could start doing it....you should have seen him on TV here trying to talk his way out of that one...

Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,318,680 times
In order to have any respect, one needs to be trusted, so what message should that be sending to an entire country that isn't trusted?

Just more "enemies behind every tree" McCarthyism drivel, only instead of commies they are terrorists.

maybe we should get to watch the administrations every move on public TV...

Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,439,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
In order to have any respect, one needs to be trusted, so what message should that be sending to an entire country that isn't trusted?

Just more "enemies behind every tree" McCarthyism drivel, only instead of commies they are terrorists.

maybe we should get to watch the administrations every move on public TV...
bwuahahahahaha

as if that would EVER be allowed

as a matter of fact, they are prob coming to arrest you right now and detain you in cuba for just suggesting such a thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies