Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:21 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times

Advertisements

I'm torn on this one. One the one hand, constantly changing schedules at the drop of a hat does interfere with the ability for people to live their lives - i.e. working other jobs, going to appointments, child care, and that sort of thing. It's totally reasonable for employees to know when they're going to be working so they can make plans. On the other hand, in the service economy, things change rapidly and unexpectedly, and sometimes they need employees on the spot (if possible) without much lead time. It's at the city level, so the whole federal government overreach thing does not come into play here. Maybe a modified version that allows more flexibility for employers in certain situations would be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
I'd like those people who are complaining about this law to put themselves in those employee's shoes.

What would your life be like if you didn't know from day to day what your work hours would be?

How would you cope if you came into work one day and your manager tells you that you are on the night shift now? What if you have children? How would they be taken care of while you work the night shift?

The people who work retail don't make much money; all of you are basically saying that because they don't, they are not entitled to the same considerations those who make more money enjoy.

For example: 'get another job if you don't like this one'

or

'start your own business'

Are you all really that selfish and greedy?

Do you really think that the less money someone makes, the fewer rights they should have?

Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'd like those people who are complaining about this law to put themselves in those employee's shoes.

What would your life be like if you didn't know from day to day what your work hours would be?

How would you cope if you came into work one day and your manager tells you that you are on the night shift now? What if you have children? How would they be taken care of while you work the night shift?

The people who work retail don't make much money; all of you are basically saying that because they don't, they are not entitled to the same considerations those who make more money enjoy.

or

Do you really think that the less money someone makes, the fewer rights they should have?
Read the article and find out the reason behind it.
It was because a retail store changed their scheduling from 3 weeks out to 1 week.
The union didn't like it and fought it and they lost so the union turned to the local government.

It has nothing to do with the local government caring about people.

Most retail does schedule a week out.
How could any store operate if they did daily schedules ?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:44 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Bring on the robots!

Quote:
San Francisco’s new law, which its Board of Supervisors passed Tuesday by unanimous vote, will require any “formula retailer” (retail chain) with 20 or more locations worldwide that employs 20 or more people within the city to provide two weeks’ advance notice for any change in a worker’s schedule. An employer that alters working hours without two weeks’ notice — or fails to notify workers two weeks ahead of time that their schedules won’t change — will be required to provide additional “predictability pay.“ Property service contractors that provide janitorial or security services for these retailers will also need to abide by the new rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
San Fran just has a whole new breed of stupid.
No doubt.

What is it? Something in the water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Doesn't look like it will apply to the public sector.
But, of course not!

Franky, you should know better than that. Shirley, you're aware that some pigs are more equal than other pigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Read the article. The union was behind this after they failed to negotiate a longer lag time for their unionized workers in..guess where ? San Fran.
Unions...what a shocker.

I would have never guessed....

Mircea

Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Read the article. The union was behind this after they failed to negotiate a longer lag time for their unionized workers in..guess where ? San Fran.
Makes sense now.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If we all listened to the right-wingers, none of us, except a very small handful, would have the time or energy to cry about evil libruls day in and day out. So, I'm just gonna chalk this up as more typical right-wing outrage that comes to pass. But, hey, what am I saying? This is the only country in the world where every single business is just one tax increase, one regulation away from chapter 11 bankruptcy; sounds about right, doesn't it?
Explain how this city ordinance makes US workers competitive globally.

Quote:
Read the article and find out the reason behind it.
It was because a retail store changed their scheduling from 3 weeks out to 1 week.
The union didn't like it and fought it and they lost so the union turned to the local government.

It has nothing to do with the local government caring about people.

Most retail does schedule a week out.
How could any store operate if they did daily schedules ?
I can speak to that, and the issue revolves around claims.

In unions, members with seniority can "claim" the hours of those with lesser seniority.

When I worked part-time at Krogers, my union benefit was to be scheduled for 28 hours, and then 2 weeks later find out I only have 12 hours, because senior members took my hours.

Someone gets 36 hours, so they take 4 of my hours so that they can have 40 hours.

Quote:
San Francisco’s new law, which its Board of Supervisors passed Tuesday by unanimous vote, will require any “formula retailer” (retail chain) with 20 or more locations worldwide that employs 20 or more people within the city to provide two weeks’ advance notice for any change in a worker’s schedule. An employer that alters working hours without two weeks’ notice — or fails to notify workers two weeks ahead of time that their schedules won’t change — will be required to provide additional “predictability pay.“ Property service contractors that provide janitorial or security services for these retailers will also need to abide by the new rule.
Clearly, that is Interstate Commerce.

What authority does a municipality have to enact such ordinances?

The regulation of Interstate Commerce is a power reserved exclusively for use by the federal government.

Questioning....

Mircea

Old 11-26-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I'm torn on this one. One the one hand, constantly changing schedules at the drop of a hat does interfere with the ability for people to live their lives - i.e. working other jobs, going to appointments, child care, and that sort of thing.
If playing games on your android interferes with your work, then quit your job.

Quote:
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Exciting.

Quote:
I guess you would need lots of tranquilizers to cope.

You could never have worked for me.

For the 3 1/2 years I ran the show, you would never have known when you are working, what job you would be doing at work, how long you would be working or where you would be working.

You'd have reported for duty and I'd say, "Hey, great news....you're going to Greece. Bad news is V Corps aviation pukes are going to be here in 90 minutes to lift us to Hahn AB so we can hop a 141.....get your gear."

And, no, you ain't making no phone calls. After you get there, you can call your people and talk all you want.

Quote:

or

Those are great choices.

I would add that they can quit their job. That's always an option.

They can be like me....I'm semi-retired. I work when I feel like it. No, I ain't rich and I don't have no 6-figure income, but I get to do whatever I want to do (most of the time).

Quote:
Are you really that self-centered and self-absorbed?

Quote:
What "rights?"

Certain jobs have variable hours. What part of that do you not understand?

What next? You want employers to provide free transportation to work?

Then what? An employee lunch program?

Mircea

Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Who can be as perfect as Mircea?

We all really need to wipe ourselves off the planet and leave it to Mircea, the Perfect One.

Jesus, is that you? Did you finally come back?

Old 11-26-2014, 12:37 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Explain how this city ordinance makes US workers competitive globally.
Explain how having the US workforce regress back to 3rd world working conditions is good for the US? You want to make US workers "competitive globally", then you need the workforce to have lives on par with China.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:16 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:

or

You (and other anti-business types like you) speak as if business owners never had to start at the bottom, or work low wage, part time, retail or any other job other than owning a business.

The overwhelming majority of business owners (nearly all, I would guess) worked the same jobs as everyone else when they were early in their adult lives. My first job was at a donut shop. I also worked at record stores, pet shops, several mall jobs... In fact, I earned my living working for someone else until I was 37. How dare you assume that I or any other business owner doesn't know what it's like to have a schedule or shift changed without much notice? That's a heck of an assumption to be making, and an arrogant one, to boot.

Finally, most businesses that utilize multiple shifts or part time workers work with their employees schedules as much as they can. I've never worked in such a business that didn't, and when I was doing the scheduling while in retail I always knew what obligations the other employees had, and scheduled around them accordingly.

Businesses are run by PEOPLE, and PEOPLE are generally good and well intentioned. That's an important fact that most anti-business types rarely acknowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies