Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:37 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,351,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
One of my brothers is a child molester. I haven't seen him in decades, but he is still my brother.

Do you think his actions should reflect on me? Do his actions make me a child molester?

What about all the years I didn't know this about my brother?

Was I wrong to fraternize with him before I found out?
No, it's how you handle it afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 06:39 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,221,624 times
Quote:
One of my brothers is a child molester. I haven't seen him in decades, but he is still my brother.

Do you think his actions should reflect on me? Do his actions make me a child molester?

You don't choose family, but you do choose friends. I doubt Obama will acknowledge this event, not do I think Obama had any reason to know about any of this, but if the allegations are true then Obama's credibility is further damaged. Not that his credibility matters in Congress at this point, but still.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,505,163 times
Quote:

Of course not, regardless if you associate with him or not. And your parents also are not responsible for your brother's choices.

In politics it does not matter. The opposing team sensationalizes everything.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You don't choose family, but you do choose friends. I doubt Obama will acknowledge this event, not do I think Obama had any reason to know about any of this, but if the allegations are true then Obama's credibility is further damaged. Not that his credibility matters in Congress at this point, but still.
Pretend you are a prominent person in politics and just found out (last week!) that one of your contributors has been accused of a crime.

Would you, at this point, REALLY say something about it? And if so, what in the world would you say?

Would you condemn the person before he is even arrested, indicted, brought to trial, and had a guilty verdict rendered?

The guy managed to donate a half a million dollars (of other people's money). Sounds like a lot, but really it's chump change. He got his two visits to the White House. I doubt Obama considers him a friend.

I guess I'm just getting sick of all these sensational postings.

Really.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:08 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,439,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Under 16 it sure as hell is!
A rich guy with a 5-year max felony will get a minimal sentence.

Quote:
If he goes to prison he is sure to enjoy his time there... a wig... some lipstick... he'll fit right in!
To bad he didn't cross state lines to have the sex because that gets really nasty.
Actually, federal prisons are generally safer and better administered than state prisons.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,221,624 times
Quote:
Pretend you are a prominent person in politics and just found out (last week!) that one of your contributors has been accused of a crime.

Would you, at this point, REALLY say something about it? And if so, what in the world would you say?

Would you condemn the person before he is even arrested, indicted, brought to trial, and had a guilty verdict rendered?

The guy managed to donate a half a million dollars (of other people's money). Sounds like a lot, but really it's chump change. He got his two visits to the White House. I doubt Obama considers him a friend.

I guess I'm just getting sick of all these sensational postings.

Really.
Let's skip the conjecture. I doubt Obama knew any of his donors were engaged in anything short of the up and up. If the allegations are true then Obama's reputation is further tarnished simply due to guilt by association, but Obama's reputation and credibility are already damaged, so, at this point, what difference does it make? As for commenting, well, Obama feels the need to comment on less trivial matters that have no tie to him so it would not be unusual to opine on this matter. There are plenty of things he could say, but I'm not sure I could recommend anything other than for the comedic value.

This was an act of love.
If I had a son...
Where were the parents?
At least it wasn't a priest this time.
Age is just a number.
What do you expect?
This man needs Jesus.
This man needs Allah.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:42 AM

10,808 posts, read 14,875,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
A rich guy with a 5-year max felony will get a minimal sentence.

Actually, federal prisons are generally safer and better administered than state prisons.
You're correct of course but with federal sentences there aren't any early outs or paroles. The best you can hope for is a 10% reduction for good behavior.

Get a 20 sentence in the federal system you will do 18 years unless you get a presidential pardon.

So the choice is 8 years in a skanky state prison or 18 years in a federal prison.

Third option of course is not to go there at all.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,439,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You're correct of course but with federal sentences there aren't any early outs or paroles. The best you can hope for is a 10% reduction for good behavior.

Get a 20 sentence in the federal system you will do 18 years unless you get a presidential pardon.

So the choice is 8 years in a skanky state prison or 18 years in a federal prison.

Third option of course is not to go there at all.
Both the Oregon 3rd degree rape statute and the Mann Act carry a maximum five-year sentence.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 AM

36,857 posts, read 17,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I wonder if this will be one of those 'ongoing investigations' o will not 'comment' upon.

Lol.

"If I had a molester for a friend he would look like Terry Bean".

Old 11-26-2014, 09:11 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,056,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The question is why liberal news outlets, outside of Oregon where it happened, have bothered to mention it.
Prominent Obama backer charged in sexual abuse case - CNN.com

And do we really need a 3rd thread about this on here?

Grand jury indicts prominent gay rights activist Terrence Bean in 2013 case involving a 15-year-old boy

Dem Fundraiser Arrested On Charges Of Sex Abuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies