Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, what is a "White conservative"? The definition varies, widely. As to Whites, in general, feeling threatened by a "minority" takeover, traditionally, they have cause. "Minority" dominated neighborhoods, which used to be mostly Caucasian, are danger zones for the same, today. Lines between color are still pretty solid. Fear and mistrust have not faded, and recent events fertilizes that dirt.

With guys like Holder, Sharpton, Jackson and even Farahkhan speaking with the Presidents backing and leading charges , its pretty easy to be very mistrustful. Speaking as a White person, fear of reprisal , based on history, long past, seems a pretty real concern, in light of who is speaking out, saying they represent the "minority" opinion.

I agree with the OP. Race relations have stepped backwards since Obama took office. With Holder as AG, that hasn't helped. Will it turn around with Obama leaving office? I don't think so. Perhaps Obamas not the single factor at play here? Lol...just maybe, but he hasn't helped. To be fair, I don't think he actually sees the damage he's done, or even thinks he did any. At least that works, if one wants to buy into his , much used, "I didn't know till I watched CNN last night" defense. Sadly, in a couple cases, I actually believe that.
The only cure to this ill is the minority themselves, whoever they may be at the moment.

It was the Irish, the Chinese, the Jews and various local groups. And one by one, they took their place among the scientists, politicians, and business leaders. When the minority groups themselves stepped up to the plate and achieved real equality for themselves, the persecution stopped.

There has been little movement toward this end by Blacks.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The only cure to this ill is the minority themselves, whoever they may be at the moment.

It was the Irish, the Chinese, the Jews and various local groups. And one by one, they took their place among the scientists, politicians, and business leaders. When the minority groups themselves stepped up to the plate and achieved real equality for themselves, the persecution stopped.

There has been little movement toward this end by Blacks.
Really? What do you call the Civil Rights Movement? That was Black people standing up for themselves and demanding what they should have had in the first place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...6%E2%80%931954)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...954%E2%80%9368)

And unlike Irish and Chinese, vast majority of Blacks didn't have a say in whether or not they even wanted to come to the USA. They didn't come as immigrants like the Irish or Chinese. Different narrative.

Black scientists and inventors: Benjamin Banneker, Charles Drew, Floyd Hall, Harold Amos, George E. Alcorn Jr, Alice A. Ball, Percival Julian, Lewis Latimer,

In fact: List of African-American inventors and scientists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of African-American United States Senators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of African-American officeholders during the Reconstruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of African-American Republicans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of first African-American mayors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of African-American writers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of African-American United States Representatives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of African-American mathematicians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of African-American Medal of Honor recipients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Negro league baseball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I shouldn't have even had to list anything. Blacks were serving this country, fighting and dying for this country, and still being treated like second class citizens. It took them standing up for themselves and saying "enough's enough" to finally get certain things done.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 AM

The main difference between now and the older times is social media, technology changing, and 24 hour news coverage. All of which has made how divided we've always been more poignant. It is more available to see. I was listening to the radio about issues in terms of race relations and the police. A commentator said that issues like this had been taking place for ages, but with cameras more widely available, this stuff gets filmed and it is seen more.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
It's probably because you are 28.

Mick

Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's only racially divided if you're a racist who's mad that a black man is President, or if you watch Fox "News" and believe that President Obama is racist against white people.

In my real world, the races mix freely and without issue.
He's proven he's a racist over and over. To not recognize that is either disingenuous or just flat out stupid.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
He's proven he's a racist over and over. To not recognize that is either disingenuous or just flat out stupid.
An appalling number of his appointees to run this country are there for nothing more than the color of their skin

Rice
Holder
Lynch
Johnson
Foxx
Sotomayor

And many more!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Law abiding Americans work, live, and interact fine. It is silly to think we are more racially divided than in the past and completely wrong.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
It's probably because you are 28.

Mick
I'm 29 and I've heard more frightening stories of racial tensions coming from people who survived the 50s and 60s.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Law abiding Americans work, live, and interact fine. It is silly to think we are more racially divided than in the past and completely wrong.
I can say that about the people at my job. Black or White, we get along fine. We work together, we get along well. Educated people, hard-working people, intelligent people.

I will bring this up. Went into a grocery store some time ago. A woman I knew gave me a hug. It's a small, no big deal moment. However, if this had been 1955, this would have resulted in some kind of nightmare. Why? She's White and I'm a Black male, and this is Georgia. Emmitt Till got killed just for making a pass at a White woman. Any kind of physical contact between a Black male and a White female in the South during the 1950s, even it it was consented and the two parties are friends, that would not have gone over well.

Today it is not a big deal. However, in those days, it would have been treated like the equivalent of a crime.

Is there racism out there? Yes. Just because laws have changed and there are things I can do that I couldn't do in the 50s, it doesn't mean racism has ended.

That said, certain things have changed. To suggest that the USA is "more divided that ever" is a ludicrous statement. We know more about things that are going on, only because we have more media to show us this stuff.

I often ask people to answer this question. Since when has the USA not been divided in terms of race relations?

Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default I'm 28 and have never seen the country so racially divided.

Having a black man elected president (twice now) sure brought those latent racists out into the open now, didn't it? Those boys are loud and angry as wet hens.

I like the part where these racists blame the black guy for their racism.

They "want their country back."

Touching.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies