Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM

3,880 posts, read 4,533,112 times

Advertisements

I certainly hope so!

They put their lives on the line every day!

I was reminded of this a few weeks ago when I heard helicopters hovering above my apartment. We're not in a high crime area, so this was unusual.

Our building is near a creek with a lot of bushes, and outside my bedroom window I saw a couple of officers cautiously walking through the back of our apartment with guns drawn, (one with a rifle) looking around etc.

Found out a little later there was a domestic situation in our apartment complex and the husband was running down the alley with a gun in hand! (He was, thank goodness, found and arrested.)

So these policemen I saw looking for this guy, were wide open and could have been shot at easily from the bushes if he were hiding out there and completely nuts! Yes, they are trained, but still... that's bravery!

Beside having courage, they encounter a lot of heartache. My first husband worked for a tech company and one of his co workers used to be a cop in L.A. He told us that he was stationed in a rough part of town and had to leave police work because he was too affected by what he saw every day. He started drinking a lot and ended up in recovery. Didn't go back to Police work and was able to retrain for the computer field.

Anyway, I was thinking about this after I saw this video a cousin of mine from Wisconsin posted on FB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7MAO7McNKE

I thought it was moving and you could hear the man's frustration!

I guess one has to have thick skin to get into this line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 12:03 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Some defiantly are, but seems more are anything but! It is a case by case person by person.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
"Police"?

You would have to be more specific about which police. we have half a million police officers in this country.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
The few cops I personally know don't have good personalities.
But they are doing a special job so that might be normal.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
Not crazy about cops, but I have to give them their props for doing what they do.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:35 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
I have no problem with cops

unless they are giving me a speeding ticket.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:41 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Of course they are!

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...-1000-1287.jpg

Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times
After seeing the crap they have to put up with from idiots and thugs like those rioting and looting in Ferguson...I have to say yes, many are heroes. The restraint they show is impressive.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
After seeing the crap they have to put up with from idiots and thugs like those rioting and looting in Ferguson...I have to say yes, many are heroes. The restraint they show is impressive.

Blacks act like the police are an "occupying force". They think their neighborhood is a separate country that should be policed by "their own". They want to live free from the rest of the country in some "black utopia" where justice is delivered by some citizens council and most crime is excused as people just "trying to get by".

Old 11-26-2014, 12:51 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
They are people. Some are dedicated, some are on a power trip. Some are honest and hard working, and some are only in it for the pension. I get what the OP means, though. We were raised to have respect for policemen and that they were on the side of honest people. As we get older, we tend to have lots of illusions shattered. Like, there are some unfair cops and not all doctors can save us, etc.
My ex DIL is a police officer, and I know she has struggled with only seeing the bad side of people, day after day, so police struggle with shattered illusions also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies