Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 04:01 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Give it a rest!.........!

I was handed Nothing .. I earned everything I have and I came from a poor family!
But you are white so that other **** don't mean nothing.

You don't know what it's like to be black in Amerikkka!

Old 11-27-2014, 04:29 AM

26,475 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I highly doubt your coworker used that example.
I brought up the example and he wouldn't back down. He insisted that Sasha Obama would have a harder time and less opportunities, and treated worse by the typical American than my hypothetical John Smith - due to skin color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You are confusing white privilege with economic privilege.
You are confusing yourself and failing to understand that the concept of white privilege contains economic advantages.

Quote:
"White privilege is a form of racism that both underlies and is distinct from institutional and overt racism. It underlies them in that both are predicated on preserving the privileges of white people (regardless of whether agents recognize this or not). But it is also distinct in terms of intentionality. It refers to the hegemonic structures, practices, and ideologies that reproduce whites' privileged status. In this scenario, whites do not necessarily intend to hurt people of color, but because they are unaware of their white-skin privilege, and because they accrue social and economic benefits by maintaining the status quo, they inevitably do."
In fact,aren't aspects of white privilege that fall within the broad realm of economics the most common form of white privilege that we hear about?

Getting hired, glass ceilings, income disparities, advantages that allow one to rise to the top, applying for rent in a nice neighborhood, college acceptance and graduation rates, etc...

Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,982 times
I just want to put this article here. It's about two girls from our local high school, predominately a black high school, who, despite horrible odds against them, extreme poverty, did homework by candle light, graduated top rank in their class and went to Cornell and Florida A & M to be an architect and a doctor. You will see they don't mention their race. They talk about their poverty, but not their race. Yet they succeeded despite the odds.

You'll see in the second article how one, about to graduate, got help with a little stipend to help pay for housing.

Top Jones grads beat grind - Orlando Sentinel

Support Our Scholars: Support Our Scholars, which provides financially struggling students with financial help and mentors, is 'amazing in all senses of the word,' says one of its recipients. - Orlando Sentinel

I listened to a man in Ferguson say that all they need in Ferguson is an opportunity. I am hoping we all can look for organizations to support that plan to go out and help give the people of Ferguson who want to rebuild what they need, not the out of state protestors who helped tear it down, but the people who want to rebuild and succeed.

There are losers, blamers, deniers, scapegoaters, deadbeats in EVERY race.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:28 AM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I think many white Americans are tired of certain groups of non-whites saying that they are owed something other than equal opportunity.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:35 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
“Have you ever seen or heard anybody babbling about privilege that has any kind of track record of success?"
I am black. I have two Masters degrees and a Doctorate. I was very successful in my chosen field and even recieved national recognition. My husband graduated third in his law school class, retired from the military as a JAG officer, and now is making a rather healthy income as a lawyer. I think that qualifies as a track record of success.

White privledge is very real. But, so is:
  • Higher educational degree privilege
  • Beauty privledge
  • Normal weight privilege
  • Tall privilege
  • Rich privilege
  • Middle class privilege
  • Pleasing voice privilege
  • Good etiquette privilege
  • Fashionable privilege
  • Brunette or blonde privilege (depending on the circumstances)
  • Religious privilege (which, depends on the circumstances)
  • Tatoo-free privilege
  • Married privilege (that one is a biggie in the military and the clergy)
  • Unmarried privilege
  • Native language speaker privilege
  • Heterosexual privilege
  • Persuasive speaker privilege
    - and the list goes on

All of the above are assumed to be better, all other things being equal, than someone who does not share that trait. Additionally, the person looking at qualifications or flaws is more likely to assign positive attribution to those in the privileged group, whereas with the the non-privileged group they are more likely to view those same traits neutrally or negatively. Depending on the privilege, it can be under the surface, often subconscious, but in-your-face, undeniable at other times. Our ability to see it depends on which side of that particular privilege we stand on. Those granting the privileges are usually very unaware they are doing so. There are white officers in the military who essentially complain there is black privilege when the commanding officer is black. According to my husband, in that particular circumstance, there is probably some legitimacy to that claim. However, when looking at it on a macro level, whites are the beneficiaries.

Does this mean blacks should use that as a reason to give up or to not succeed? Absolutely not. But it does make the playing field less level. If you aren't the one on the uneven surface it is hard to see it, feel it, or understand its effect. Most of us don't understand adversity we have not experienced. For those on the wrong side of privilege, about all you can do is accept that life isn't fair and take advantage of what you do have. Doesn't mean you have to like it or aren't entitled to point it out.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
There are some people who are treated better/worse in certain situations due to whatever race they may be.

However, it is less and less important and less and less a factor of significance.

I have a coworker teaching students that ALL whites have an advantage over ALL blacks due to white privilege. That there are so many people out there looking to hold blacks down.

Compare these 2 individuals:

Sasha Obama being: black, female, from a rich family, going to a private school, being able to get into ivy league schools based on who her parents are even if they are average students, having married parents who seem to be fine parents, has traveled the world and seen many historic and cultural sites, has a tutor, etc....

A hypothetical John Smith: white, male, lives in poverty, parents aren't married - doesn't know dad, lives in the rural U.P. of Michigan, attends a school that is one of Michigan's least funded, needs food stamps to eat, has never left the state of Michigan, etc...

My coworker - a teacher - argued me in front of students that John Smith has a major advantage of Sasha Obama, because he is a white man and that people all over will treat John Smith better because of it. That John Smith is far more likely to be able to reach the top of a career field, etc...

I can't believe that nonsense. America is not that bad, not by a long shot. This is not 1814.

What do black students think when they hear a respected teacher say that John Smith has a significant advantage over someone like Sasha Obama and that there are so many people trying to hold them back, because they are black? Is it surprising that I have had to argue students that claim that hard work does not increase the odds of success? What does it say about society when a bright student with talents doesn't think that hard work increases the chances of success?
Well, I'm going to agree with you here - socioeconomic status MATTERS a great deal - black or white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You are confusing white privilege with economic privilege.
Agree. Also agree that SES matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
“Have you ever seen or heard anybody babbling about privilege that has any kind of track record of success?"
I guess you failed to read or quote the rest of my post. It's not to be an excuse but should be acknowledged.

We don't start out on an equal playing field.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:49 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am black. I have two Masters degrees and a Doctorate. I was very successful in my chosen field and even recieved national recognition. My husband graduated third in his law school class, retired from the military as a JAG officer, and now is making a rather healthy income as a lawyer. I think that qualifies as a track record of success.

White privledge is very real. But, so is:
  • Higher educational degree privilege
  • Beauty privledge
  • Normal weight privilege
  • Tall privilege
  • Rich privilege
  • Middle class privilege
  • Pleasing voice privilege
  • Good etiquette privilege
  • Fashionable privilege
  • Brunette or blonde privilege (depending on the circumstances)
  • Religious privilege (which, depends on the circumstances)
  • Tatoo-free privilege
  • Married privilege (that one is a biggie in the military and the clergy)
  • Unmarried privilege
  • Native language speaker privilege
  • Heterosexual privilege
  • Persuasive speaker privilege
    - and the list goes on

All of the above are assumed to be better, all other things being equal, than someone who does not share that trait. Additionally, the person looking at qualifications or flaws is more likely to assign positive attribution to those in the privileged group, whereas with the the non-privileged group they are more likely to view those same traits neutrally or negatively. Depending on the privilege, it can be under the surface, often subconscious, but in-your-face, undeniable at other times. Our ability to see it depends on which side of that particular privilege we stand on. Those granting the privileges are usually very unaware they are doing so. There are white officers in the military who essentially complain there is black privilege when the commanding officer is black. According to my husband, in that particular circumstance, there is probably some legitimacy to that claim. However, when looking at it on a macro level, whites are the beneficiaries.

Does this mean blacks should use that as a reason to give up or to not succeed? Absolutely not. But it does make the playing field less level. If you aren't the one on the uneven surface it is hard to see it, feel it, or understand its effect. Most of us don't understand adversity we have not experienced. For those on the wrong side of privilege, about all you can do is accept that life isn't fair and take advantage of what you do have. Doesn't mean you have to like it or aren't entitled to point it out.
This is basically what I think about the issue. Everyone has different combinations of privilege. I would also say the entire concept is harmful as it acts as an excuse for the "underprivileged".

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with privilege. I can point out every way that others have privilege that I don't have, but why would I? Complaining that I wasnt born looking like Brad Pitt, born into money, born with parents with connections, born an elite athlete, or literally any category where someone else has it better...it would just be my envy showing.

It just reminds me of people who go on Facebook to complain. They want everyone to know all the bad things they had to deal with, but what good does that do? Maybe some people feel sorry for you? It's better to just get on with your life if you actually care about changing it.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:08 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I think many white Americans are tired of certain groups of non-whites saying that they are owed something other than equal opportunity.
Yep, we get the privilege of going to work everyday, paying our bills and taxes, paying for dead beats that got every excuse in the book.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:43 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
This is basically what I think about the issue. Everyone has different combinations of privilege. I would also say the entire concept is harmful as it acts as an excuse for the "underprivileged".

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with privilege. I can point out every way that others have privilege that I don't have, but why would I? Complaining that I wasnt born looking like Brad Pitt, born into money, born with parents with connections, born an elite athlete, or literally any category where someone else has it better...it would just be my envy showing.

It just reminds me of people who go on Facebook to complain. They want everyone to know all the bad things they had to deal with, but what good does that do? Maybe some people feel sorry for you? It's better to just get on with your life if you actually care about changing it.
I agree with you both.

I also agree with the colonel, I think he made several very good points.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

Getting hired, glass ceilings, income disparities, advantages that allow one to rise to the top, applying for rent in a nice neighborhood, college acceptance and graduation rates, etc...
College acceptance? Colleges have different admissions standards for different races. It's easier to get in if you're black than if you're white. And graduating from college instead of dropping out is a sign of "privilege?" Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies