Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:39 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
And they are supposed to win. Marijuana, despite all it's health benefits, is a narcotic that acts like an opiate. Recreational drugs have no place in proper society.
As long as no ones rights have been violated government should stay out. The war on drugs is a failure and punishes minorities unfairly. Easy or hard to get a job and provide for your family with a record?

Mixed race marriages have no place in proper society. - Remember that one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 06:44 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Spiritually?

Is that another word for HIGH? There is nothing spiritual about being a drug junkie.
Whose rights were violated?

Quote:
I was raised by alcoholics, they sure as hell didn't stay out of my life, which is why I will keep butting into yours by supporting anti-marijuana legislation.
LMAO Beautiful, just beautiful.
So if your alcoholic parents stayed out of your life then you'd be against anti-marijuana legislation?
btw - Plenty of alcoholic parents have stayed out of their childrens lives, princess.

Quote:
Did you know there is a pain-killer prescription abuse going on? Prescription abuse is EVEN worse with medical marijuana.
Government said they are okay. Move along, nothing to see here mundane.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:56 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Like any prescription for medical means its regulated since the FDA won't be doing it because its still not federally legal. Alcohol and cigarettes are not prescription drugs for medical use. They are heavily taxed by what is called sin taxes. Heck heroin was in many things at one time; even Coke soft drinks.But then lead also used in pipes at one time and first canned foods lined with it .
The thing about marijuana is that it's a simple plant. If it's legal and EVERYONE could grow it, how would you collect sin tax on it? It would be harder than taxing internet purchases and mandating gun checks.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,565 times
Quote:
And they are supposed to win. Marijuana, despite all it's health benefits, is a narcotic that acts like an opiate. Recreational drugs have no place in proper society.
Wow, that's news to me. To think that all this time those cannabinoids have been acting as opioid receptor agonists in my brain. You should report your findings to a scientific journal.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Whose rights were violated?
Nobody's rights were violated, it's just that narcotics and drugs are "bad" in my (and a few other's) opinion.

Quote:
LMAO Beautiful, just beautiful.
So if your alcoholic parents stayed out of your life then you'd be against anti-marijuana legislation?
btw - Plenty of alcoholic parents have stayed out of their childrens lives, princess.
Well that's exactly right. My argument is an emotional one. But that doesn't make my argument any less valid than the other emotional arguments in politics out there.

Quote:
Government said they are okay. Move along, nothing to see here mundane.
Government did say it's okay, but people still abuse them. And you know what, said substance abuse is commonly covered by insurance if someone wants to admit there is a problem.

AND I HAVE AN ACTUAL MEDICAL DISABILITY NOT COMMONLY COVERED BY INSURANCE (not yet in my state, unfortunately). When I get what I want, I will give what you want, until then, I fight against things like legalizing recreational drug use.

For the record, philosophically I don't see how illegal substances are any more morally correct than legal substances such as coffee, tea, and alcohol. I've thought about it.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Wow, that's news to me. To think that all this time those cannabinoids have been acting as opioid receptor agonists in my brain. You should report your findings to a scientific journal.
I didn't say it is an opiate, I said it acts LIKE an opiate. And when I have time, I will dig up the evidence of certain scientists comparing the effects of heroin to marijuana.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 PM

It doesn't act like an opiate. The chemicals in marijuana bind to endogenous cannabinoid receptors, which are located in many places throughout the body. Furthermore, different strains of marijuana have different ratios of different cannabinoids, some of which have agonist effects and some of which have antagonist effects. None of them bind to opioid receptors or directly interact with that system, to the best of my knowledge.

The fact that withdrawal from marijuana is nothing like withdrawal from any kind of opioid/ate painkiller is further proof. For me, sudden withdrawal from marijuana would only cause 2-3 days of mild emotional irritation and an upset stomach; withdrawal from painkillers would be seriously debilitating for a solid week or more.

I suppose it is possible some people may achieve a subjective effect similar to a painkiller when using a specific strain, but the mechanism is still different. I would also like to know who these "certain scientists" are, what their methodology was, what strains they studied, who they studied them on; everything.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I suppose it is possible some people might achieve a subjective effect similar to a painkiller when using a specific strain, but the mechanism is still different.
Exactly. You're not sober. You're high. I've seen people that were using heroin and marijuana in the same room, they were both "out of it". I know alcohol, opium, and THC are different substances that give you different effects and have very different if any withdrawal symptoms. But they all look the same to me: like irresponsible drug users. I do recognize that there are responsible users of recreational drugs, but that's not the experience I had in my life.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly. You're not sober. You're high. I've seen people that were using heroin and marijuana in the same room, they were both "out of it". I know alcohol, opium, and THC are different substances that give you different effects and have very different if any withdrawal symptoms. But they all look the same to me: like irresponsible drug users. I do recognize that there are responsible users of recreational drugs, but that's not the experience I had in my life.
The real question is why do people need to be sober? There are many uses for various drugs, marijuana included. I've used Cannabis Indica strains to relax and go to sleep at the end of a long day, and Cannabis Sativa strains to spur my photography creativity and hang out with friends playing video games. I've even gained insight and understanding about things I otherwise wouldn't have thought as deeply about when sober. I honestly feel it has made me a better person.

P.S. The people who were "out of it" were probably smoking strong Cannabis Indica strains. They don't have a large psychoactive effect, but do cause great relaxation and sleepiness, which is why many people use them to go to sleep or unwind at the end of a long day.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
The real question is why do people need to be sober? There are many uses for various drugs, marijuana included. I've used Cannabis Indica strains to relax and go to sleep at the end of a long day, and Cannabis Sativa strains to spur my photography creativity and hang out with friends playing video games. I've even gained insight and understanding about things I otherwise wouldn't have thought as deeply about when sober. I honestly feel it has made me a better person.
They don't. I drink tea, tea has caffeine, which is a stimulant. In my opinion your "insight" is not that much different of an effect than a person who resorts to liquid courage.

Quote:
P.S. The people who were "out of it" were probably smoking strong Cannabis Indica strains. They don't have a large psychoactive effect, but do cause great relaxation and sleepiness, which is why many people use them to go to sleep or unwind at the end of a long day.
They probably were, and people who are overly drunk or on strong opiates are also "out of it".

That said, one form of "Marijuana" I do support is Cannabis for non drug-related consumption. Hemp is a valuable material and there is no reason why possessing/growing cannabis should be illegal. What should be illegal is domestic violence. But calling the police or contacting other authorities never helped me, so keeping marijuana and other drugs illegal is the next best thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies