Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 07:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times

Advertisements

People keep saying the should have assessed the situation first. The officers said they watched the kid looking at the gun while seated on the bench, and then watched him put it in his waistband. So yes, they did observe before engaging the suspect. If they would have contacted him from a distance, he could have pulled the gun and then they could of had a potential standoff. They elected to prevent that by rushing up and surprising the suspect while the gun was still concealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Why is shooting the first option? The dispatcher never said anything about shots being fired.

They didnt even give him a chance to put his hands up.
Because, maybe....he jumped up and went for the pistol....

And what does shots "being fired" or not have to do with anything? The gun was being pointed at people....

Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
You know, I am totally amazed by the first hand intimate knowledge displayed by the posters in this thread as to what happened and should have happened. To my knowledge none of you were there and are just spouting uninformed theories on the subject.

As I said, totally amazing!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Maybe it was just a startled movement from a 12 year old in reaction to being set upon by a police car in the middle of a park.
Sure, and "maybe" is a legal term recognized nationwide.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why in the world would this 12 year old have a BB gun which looks like a real gun. Where were his parents.
BTW, have any of you ever been shot by a BB gun? It hurts. Then check with animal control to see how many animals have been killed by this weapon. They are far from harmless.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:34 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
We have a lot of people here that have obviously not watched the various video of the circumstances.

The whole event is a tragedy as the young boy was basically screwing with people by trying to make them think he had a real gun, an immature, dumb decision.....but then again he's 12.

The dispatcher should have mentioned it being fake.

The police (have some of you not listened to what the dispatcher mentioned) didn't know he was a young kid and that the gun was probably fake and already have it in their mind that somebody is waving a gun at people in the park so they went in with a different mindset than had they been told a young kid was hassling people with what is probably a toy gun.

Lastly, I previously linked to stories about gang members just as young as him (and younger) killing people etc. so those of you trying to make it out like he couldn't have possibly been a threat are wrong.

So, what we have here is an immature decision, lack of supervision intersecting with poor procedure and communication. It's not an execution, it's not a murder, it's a tragedy.

The racists trying to paint the kid as the problem and the racists saying it was a murder by a white cop.....need to get a life and stop being part of the problem.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I still want to know where the kid got the gun.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We have a lot of people here that have obviously not watched the various video of the circumstances.

The whole event is a tragedy as the young boy was basically screwing with people by trying to make them think he had a real gun, an immature, dumb decision.....but then again he's 12.

The dispatcher should have mentioned it being fake.

The police (have some of you not listened to what the dispatcher mentioned) didn't know he was a young kid and that the gun was probably fake and already have it in their mind that somebody is waving a gun at people in the park so they went in with a different mindset than had they been told a young kid was hassling people with what is probably a toy gun.

Lastly, I previously linked to stories about gang members just as young as him (and younger) killing people etc. so those of you trying to make it out like he couldn't have possibly been a threat are wrong.

So, what we have here is an immature decision, lack of supervision intersecting with poor procedure and communication. It's not an execution, it's not a murder, it's a tragedy.

The racists trying to paint the kid as the problem and the racists saying it was a murder by a white cop.....need to get a life and stop being part of the problem.
Very good assessment

Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I still want to know where the kid got the gun.
I doubt that kid walked into a store and bought it himself.

Maybe as a birthday or Christmas present. Both my brothers had BB guns back in the '70's. One of my brothers used it to go hunting for rabbit, and when my mom found out, she took the gun away from him.

That is why when parents give gifts like BB guns, they should make it clear to the child, what is the
intended purpose of the weapon, target shooting, etc.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Male View Post
Wal-Mart and the likes make you be 18 to buy said airsoft weapons. You have to be 16 to purchase BBs, pellets and airsoft ammo.
But if you're black make sure not to carry the BB gun you're buying outside of a cart - the cops will come and shoot you in the back right in the middle of the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies