Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 03:15 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,567,178 times

Advertisements

they shot him before the car came to a complete stop. Damon near was a drive by shooting.

No way anyone can defend this cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 03:22 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,074,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
they shot him before the car came to a complete stop. Damon near was a drive by shooting.

No way anyone can defend this cop.
The fact that they believed the gun was real is defense enough.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:35 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,406,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
That makes every open carry fair game. Blam! Blam! Shoot first and ask for ID later.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:39 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,176,705 times
Quote:
They should ascertain if the gun is real or not.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
They should ascertain if the gun is real or not.
How do you do that? In the interest of officer safety all guns that look real are considered real. Toy guns are supposed to be designated with bright colors which were removed from this one.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That makes every open carry fair game. Blam! Blam! Shoot first and ask for ID later.

Legal open carry does not allow for brandishing the weapon. I would not consider the fellow in this video carrying legally. I believe these cops were familiar with the guy in the video, he may have been a regular open carry advocate.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:02 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,176,705 times
Quote:
How do you do that? In the interest of officer safety all guns that look real are considered real. Toy guns are supposed to be designated with bright colors which were removed from this one.
Officer safety is less important than public safety. If "protecting" police officers means unarmed people get killed by them, I'm not on board with that. We pay them to risk their lives. If less unarmed people getting shot = more cops getting shot, I'm ok with that, that's what I'm paying taxes for. I don't pay for them to protect themselves, I pay them to, if necessary, die so that innocent people will not die.

What, precisely, do you think we actually pay the police to do? When there's a fire, even though in many cases a fire is a result of human carelessness, the fire department will rush in to save human lives, fully aware that they may end up giving up their own lives do so, even if it means saving the very person that caused the fire. And yet I'm supposed to believe that the police are allowed to shoot people to "protect" themselves, even if the person they end up shooting turns out not be actually be posing a real threat.

I expect the police not to shoot unarmed people. I expect the police to employ better procedures so as not to shoot unarmed people. There's an episode of Adam 12 (a show which correctly followed LAPD procedures at that time) that begins with a training exercise revolving around the proper placement of the police cruiser when pulling over dangerous suspects (in this case, suspected armed robbers) and Reed and Malloy ended up chastising the two trainee cops for parking their cruiser too close and getting "killed." I am expected to believe that the Cleveland Police Department of 2014 is more tactically stupid than the LAPD of the late 1960s? If they had been confronting an actual dangerous suspect, and he opened fire, they would have been caught at close range, in their cruiser, quite literally the last place on earth a cop wants to be if a gunfight erupts. How you could exonerate them when the video clearly shows them to be at the very least, idiots, is amazing unless you think that what we actually pay the police to do, precisely, is to shoot black people.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:11 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,275,305 times
Wtf? Whys the cops jay driving? You gonna get as close as you can to a suspect with a supposed gun? Aren't there tests these pigs should pass to weed out stupid people?

Old 11-27-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Officer safety is less important than public safety. If "protecting" police officers means unarmed people get killed by them, I'm not on board with that. We pay them to risk their lives. If less unarmed people getting shot = more cops getting shot, I'm ok with that, that's what I'm paying taxes for. I don't pay for them to protect themselves, I pay them to, if necessary, die so that innocent people will not die.

What, precisely, do you think we actually pay the police to do? When there's a fire, even though in many cases a fire is a result of human carelessness, the fire department will rush in to save human lives, fully aware that they may end up giving up their own lives do so, even if it means saving the very person that caused the fire. And yet I'm supposed to believe that the police are allowed to shoot people to "protect" themselves, even if the person they end up shooting turns out not be actually be posing a real threat.

I expect the police not to shoot unarmed people. I expect the police to employ better procedures so as not to shoot unarmed people. There's an episode of Adam 12 (a show which correctly followed LAPD procedures at that time) that begins with a training exercise revolving around the proper placement of the police cruiser when pulling over dangerous suspects (in this case, suspected armed robbers) and Reed and Malloy ended up chastising the two trainee cops for parking their cruiser too close and getting "killed." I am expected to believe that the Cleveland Police Department of 2014 is more tactically stupid than the LAPD of the late 1960s? If they had been confronting an actual dangerous suspect, and he opened fire, they would have been caught at close range, in their cruiser, quite literally the last place on earth a cop wants to be if a gunfight erupts. How you could exonerate them when the video clearly shows them to be at the very least, idiots, is amazing unless you think that what we actually pay the police to do, precisely, is to shoot black people.
I'm sorry but if you do a little research, you will find that police are entitled to the same right of self defense as all other citizens.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:43 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,621,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Police departments everywhere in this country need to research and develope the use of non-lethal weapons. One non-lethal weapon I've seen put to good use is the shotgun loaded with beanbags. It can take someone right down without inflicting serious injury. Such a weapon would have worked well in the Cleveland shooting.
You obviously have never used them, seen them used or have any personal experience with them. They seldom take someone down. They usually present enough of a hit to get someones attention. In July of 2012 a man in Wasilla Alaska was tasered 15 times and shot with 5 bean bag rounds which had no affect on him. Ask any cop that's had actual experience using them. Most people will give up when hit with a bean bag round but there some who it has no affect on.

Details reveal bizarre conflict - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman: News

“Compton would demand to be shot and lunged at officers several times,” Manrique says in his statement. “Compton was Tasered approximately 15 times, Tasered with 12-guage XREP rounds which he tore out with no effect. Compton was hit with five 12-guage bean bag rounds as well with no apparent effect.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies