Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:07 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

I can think of an example of this .

Two people kill each other at a popular nightspot .

It's all over the news . Business goes down because people want to avoid going to that business and that neighborhood because there are shootings in the area and people being killed.

This directly affects the city and the economy.

If Detroit had a low crime rate , imagine how the city would be . More people would be living there and I imagine there would be a ton more visitors and tourists visting,etc to support the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 11:12 AM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Low skilled labor is not something that is respected, either then or today. The architect and engineer of a building are who are remembered, not the men that built it. Slaves were seen as not much higher than farm equipment and beasts of burden.

And Blacks wanted more than access to American institutions? Were private businesses and private homes American institutions? How do you figure somebody has the right to eat at another man's table and crap in another man's toilet?
It doesn't matter how the slaves were seen. The fact is, they did the grunt labor, and got no benefits from it, and they did it all under duress. At the very least, they should have gotten something for it. In fact, that is what 40 acres and a mule was about. However, that got cancelled.

Blacks were willing to make it work in America. When I say American institutions, I mean being able to vote, live wherever they please, the same schools. Blacks played a role in building the wealth of this nation. And thanks to a Constitutional amendment, they were given American citizenship. They are not "another man". They were made American citizens, and should have been treated as such. That is what I mean being American institutions. If I am American, I should be treated as such. If I commit a crime, then I should be locked up or executed the same as any other criminal regardless of race.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And in those cities, middle class Blacks leave. The Black middle class is largely ignored, but Black underclass types get ALL of the attention. Not even working class/working poor Blacks get as much attention.

This is about the freedom to move where you want and live where you want. That is what Blacks have. If it gets dangerous and they have the means to leave, they can leave. To me, freedom is the most important thing.

And something else, I was not talking about "move away from Blacks". I said move to a safer area. Do not put more into this than there already is. Blacks who were not involved in crime didn't have an option to live wherever they wanted. They were restricted because of race, so the likelihood of Blacks living around criminals was much higher. Whites could go anywhere they wanted, even to Black areas. Black neighborhoods would have higher qualities of life if the criminals were flushed out. It is the underclass that regular Black people are trying to get away from, not the whole Black race.
The Black underclass gets all the attention because dead bodies and destroyed cities are pretty hard to ignore. America has five cities ranked as the most dangerous cities in the world. They are all majority Black. Whites and middle class Blacks have to spend their whole lives fleeing the Black underclass, as if they were nomads. When segregation ended, White flight started. First Whites left the cities to the suburbs and Blacks followed. Now Whites move to the exurbs and spend 3 hours commuting to and from work so their children can get a good education and be safe from crime.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
The Black underclass gets all the attention because dead bodies and destroyed cities are pretty hard to ignore. America has five cities ranked as the most dangerous cities in the world. They are all majority Black. Whites and middle class Blacks have to spend their whole lives fleeing the Black underclass, as if they were nomads. When segregation ended, White flight started. First Whites left the cities to the suburbs and Blacks followed. Now Whites move to the exurbs and spend 3 hours commuting to and from work so their children can get a good education and be safe from crime.
And Blacks who seek to get away from crime will eventually end up spending 3 hours commuting. This is how it works. If Middle class Blacks show up, there are Whites that leave, before the underclass types come in.

The Black middle class has to worry about what people think of Blacks, and they have to worry about underclass Blacks doing things to them. No one seems to care. I care because I come from a middle class Black family. I care because my father went out to the exurbs so he could have a quiet place to live, and he didn't want his kids growing up in a crime-ridden environment. People don't seem to differentiate between the Blacks who are not criminals, and the Blacks who cause problems. To many people, all Blacks are the same. This is why I get upset that the Black middle class is largely ignored, because by being ignored, we get thrown under the bus too. Underclass types don't care, so there are many Black who have decided, "forget it". My father tried to get one of his relatives to stop doing drugs and hanging out with the bad crowds. One of his relatives also did time in prison several times and didn't seem to listen to my father. it took his relative being in his 60s to get the point.

Here is a question. How come people only care if Whites have safety, but no one cares if middle class Blacks are fleeing crime as well? Aren't Black Americans American as well?

Old 11-29-2014, 11:27 AM

779 posts, read 631,960 times
Quote:
Which cities are you referring to when you mention 3 hour commutes and safety from crime? I can't think of a major American city with 0 majority white communities within the city and maybe up to a half an hour away.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter how the slaves were seen. The fact is, they did the grunt labor, and got no benefits from it, and they did it all under duress. At the very least, they should have gotten something for it. In fact, that is what 40 acres and a mule was about. However, that got cancelled.

Blacks were willing to make it work in America. When I say American institutions, I mean being able to vote, live wherever they please, the same schools. Blacks played a role in building the wealth of this nation. And thanks to a Constitutional amendment, they were given American citizenship. They are not "another man". They were made American citizens, and should have been treated as such. That is what I mean being American institutions. If I am American, I should be treated as such. If I commit a crime, then I should be locked up or executed the same as any other criminal regardless of race.
You have a skewed idea of what Blacks actually wanted and still want. Contrary to the popular myth that Blacks simply wanted to be treated as individuals regardless of their race, Black leaders like MLK Jr. wanted racial quotas and set asides. This is what Blacks today still expect. It's a rarity to even see a Black person asking to be judged by objective standards. Blacks want special standards that apply specifically to Blacks in their favor.

Blacks don't want to judged by the content of their character. If a Blacks have a higher percentage of people with poor credit and no savings and they get denied housing loans at a higher rate, they see this as evidence of racism and unfairness. If Blacks can't pass an exam at the same rate as White test takers, then the test must be racist. If Blacks commit more crimes and get arrested at a higher rate, then the justice system must be dirty. Blacks expect equal results without actually earning it.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:35 AM

My point is this. I am glad I live in this era. Even with some of the bad taking place, this is what I am thankful for having today.

-Freedom, the same freedom everyone else has in this nation as American citizens.
-I can vote. I've voted in every election since I was 18, both Presidential and midterm elections.
-I can live wherever I want. I can buy a house in any neighborhood I want. If someone attempts to say "you're Black, you're not welcome to buy a house in this neighborhood", it will not hold up in court.
-I can date/marry whomever I want provided it is a consensual relationship
-I can attend any university of my choosing, for which I have done that, and I have a college degree.
-If I'm ever allowed to serve in the military(I cannot because of medical issues), I will be in a military that is not segregated. If we are Americans fighting for our country, race should be a non-issue.
-If I go to the library today, no one can tell me "you're Black, you're not allowed in".
-I have the right to bear arms
-And most of all, in today's America, I am free. I have more freedoms in today's America than I would have had pre-1964. This is why I am glad Jim Crow has ended.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You have a skewed idea of what Blacks actually wanted and still want. Contrary to the popular myth that Blacks simply wanted to be treated as individuals regardless of their race, Black leaders like MLK Jr. wanted racial quotas and set asides. This is what Blacks today still expect. It's a rarity to even see a Black person asking to be judged by objective standards. Blacks want special standards that apply specifically to Blacks in their favor.

Blacks don't want to judged by the content of their character. If a Blacks have a higher percentage of people with poor credit and no savings and they get denied housing loans at a higher rate, they see this as evidence of racism and unfairness. If Blacks can't pass an exam at the same rate as White test takers, then the test must be racist. If Blacks commit more crimes and get arrested at a higher rate, then the justice system must be dirty. Blacks expect equal results without actually earning it.
Back up what you said with some data. Otherwise, this is all stuff being written out of resentment towards Blacks.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
And Blacks who seek to get away from crime will eventually end up spending 3 hours commuting. This is how it works. If Middle class Blacks show up, there are Whites that leave, before the underclass types come in.

The Black middle class has to worry about what people think of Blacks, and they have to worry about underclass Blacks doing things to them. No one seems to care. I care because I come from a middle class Black family. I care because my father went out to the exurbs so he could have a quiet place to live, and he didn't want his kids growing up in a crime-ridden environment. People don't seem to differentiate between the Blacks who are not criminals, and the Blacks who cause problems. To many people, all Blacks are the same. This is why I get upset that the Black middle class is largely ignored, because by being ignored, we get thrown under the bus too. Underclass types don't care, so there are many Black who have decided, "forget it". My father tried to get one of his relatives to stop doing drugs and hanging out with the bad crowds. One of his relatives also did time in prison several times and didn't seem to listen to my father. it took his relative being in his 60s to get the point.

Here is a question. How come people only care if Whites have safety, but no one cares if middle class Blacks are fleeing crime as well? Aren't Black Americans American as well?
People do care about middle class Blacks having safety. This is why no one really protests housing laws. White people actually allow their housing values to decline by the influx of Blacks, rather than fight against it.

As you have written, the issue with middle class Blacks is that they have relations and associations with underclass Blacks. I live in a middle class neighborhood and many of my neighbors are Black. Because of this, I get to have things like a half a dozen kids cussing obscenities and playing basketball next to my house on Thanksgiving or relatives pulling up with thumping bass, rattling my dishes. I have to see teenaged Black kids with their pants pulled down, strolling down my street. I have to send my kids off to school on the other side of town, because the local schools rank so low on safety and test scores. And I'll likely need to move soon as my neighborhood is on the decline, thanks largely to more Blacks moving into the area.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Back up what you said with some data. Otherwise, this is all stuff being written out of resentment towards Blacks.
I've seen you participate in threads where we discussed the facts and data for what I've written. I find it hard to believe that you're unaware of these issues. If you want to discuss a specific topic then tell me which one, otherwise I'm not going to waste my time digging up facts for which you likely already have knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies