Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 07:49 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But the money the banks have isn't theirs. It belongs to their customers.
They don't care. They support theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
They don't care. They support theft.
Won't work. If they start raiding banks people will stop using banks then there won't be any money to dole out...

I don't think they thought this through . Next they'll say the government can just print more money.

I've got an idea...THEY can get a job and give basic income to their neighbors from their paychecks.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Won't work. If they start raiding banks people will stop using banks then there won't be any money to dole out...

I don't think they thought this through . Next they'll say the government can just print more money.
Of course they didn't. They operate only through trial and error.

In the words of the great Nancy Pelosi, "we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it".

Old 03-07-2015, 07:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Nah, I can go to the library to use high speed internet (and they even supply the computer) and I can get me a free Obamaphone....

Honestly, I'm to the point that I think I could live a very simple lifestyle in exchange for not having to work for a living. There are lots of free resources and I'd have time to work out and cook meals from scratch. There are libraries where you can borrow books and movies and use the internet, parks and public transportation which is inexpensive. I could chill out and read all kinds of books and watch movies. I could check the news on the internet at the library. Net flix is only $7.99/month and places like Panara Bread have free internet for their customers. Buy a bagel and watch shows on Net Flix.

Where do I sign up?
Sure you would. For a month, maybe. Then you would miss your smart phone and your car and your Internet access and simply being able to go out to eat or see a movie or take a vacation once in a while. Very few people in today's world would be satisfied with simply surviving without anything else that our society affords. And that's all basic income would cover--simple survival. You will not starve nor die of exposure for lack of shelter.

Do you agree that food and shelter should be a basic birthright for all humans on the planet?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The incentive to work will be if you want to have anything outside of the very basics you need to survive, i.e., shelter and food, something that should be a basic birthright of every human being on the planet. If you want a smart phone or a car or high speed Internet or the means to do anything outside of simply surviving, you will have to earn the money for those extras. But there would no longer be homeless people living on the streets or children going to bed hungry every night.
There would indeed be people living on the streets still. Most are mentally ill and do it out of choice. There is already no need for any kid go to sleep at night hungry. People can eat well on our current food stamp program. Any kid not eating is doing so because of the parents bad decisions, which isn't going to change with money being handed out as opposed to food stamps.

Quote:
Covering the most basic needs of human beings is a humane philosophy. In a world of such abundance, no one should be going hungry or homeless. Will some people be satisfied sitting around doing nothing? Probably. But how many here would want to forego everything else to sit at home and have nothing else other than basic shelter? It may sound great in the short term, but eventually everyone would want more and would be willing to work for it.

And removing the constant fear of financial hardship would actually open up a lot of human creativity.
How many can be discussed when you come up with a legitimate argument as to why. We already are providing the access to all of the things you claim are lacking.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

Do you agree that food and shelter should be a basic birthright for all humans on the planet?
No, of course not. My parents raised me to believe you had to work to provide for yourself.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:20 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
For someone to get a homestead they had to work for it. Work pretty damn hard at that.
True.

They also received farm training, grants and other federal aide to help with homestead.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:35 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
It is amazing how some people can advocate theft. Let's re-brand this nonsense from "basic income" to "basic theft".
Quote:
So where does the income come from if no dollars are added to the economy. They have to come from somewhere. Who loses the money in this deal?
It comes from the same place all money comes from;

The Federal government instructs your bank to increase the value in your checking account. Poof!

Old 03-07-2015, 12:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Giving income with no increased production is inflationary; the cost are as always passed on to consumers. Its no different than seeing those house not backed by production based on income. It created a bubble since it in reality was like expanding money supply not supported by producing anything. to back it up. Probably the worse bubble we have now is government sending increase not support by any GDP growth and it will have long term effect just has Greece has found out.70% of production cost is labor by time it gets to consumer. which means higher cost factor by far without saleable production increase.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:17 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Giving income with no increased production is inflationary; the cost are as always passed on to consumers. Its no different than seeing those house not backed by production based on income. It created a bubble since it in reality was like expanding money supply not supported by producing anything. to back it up.
That is not an issue if the incentive to produce is preserved. That means continuing with taxation and making sure the basic income is low enough to entice people to earn more cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Probably the worse bubble we have now is government sending increase not support by any GDP growth and it will have long term effect just has Greece has found out.70% of production cost is labor by time it gets to consumer. which means higher cost factor by far without saleable production increase.
Greece is NOT monetarily sovereign. Stop comparing Greece to the United States. Greece is a currency user. The United States is a currency issuer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies