Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:18 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
True.

They also received farm training, grants and other federal aide to help with homestead.
I don't know what all was available but I've stated many times that I do not have a problem with giving people a hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
I guess I am a bit confused as to why we would need a basic income when Osama's economy is booming? After all, he saved all of us from certain doom with his mathematical brilliance. Can someone answer that for me? If your able bodied you work if not, your on disability. Seems pretty simple to me.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:37 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I guess I am a bit confused as to why we would need a basic income when Osama's economy is booming? After all, he saved all of us from certain doom with his mathematical brilliance. Can someone answer that for me? If your able bodied you work if not, your on disability. Seems pretty simple to me.
Because for some people that's still not enough in their eyes. They are jealous because their salary won't be able to afford them the fancy car, the latest I-phone, and the newest pair of Nike's. How many times have we heard here on C-D, (a quick visit to the employment forum especially)..."I won't work overtime. I won't work Saturdays. I won't work for 10.00 an hour. I'm worth more than that." Their entitlement issues and their delusions of grandeur hold them back more than their lack of skills or education. And according to so many here, apparently is just "not fair" that they can't reach into your pocket anytime they want and pull out what they want. Leeches. Too many leeches these days...

Old 03-07-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Because for some people that's still not enough in their eyes. They are jealous because their salary won't be able to afford them the fancy car, the latest I-phone, and the newest pair of Nike's. How many times have we heard here on C-D, (a quick visit to the employment forum especially)..."I won't work overtime. I won't work Saturdays. I won't work for 10.00 an hour. I'm worth more than that." Their entitlement issues and their delusions of grandeur hold them back more than their lack of skills or education. And according to so many here, apparently is just "not fair" that they can't reach into your pocket anytime they want and pull out what they want. Leeches. Too many leeches these days...
I think you nailed it. Politicians have paid for so many votes through freebee's it's better to sit on your ass and complain than work.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Because Christians believe in helping the poor.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sure you would. For a month, maybe. Then you would miss your smart phone and your car and your Internet access and simply being able to go out to eat or see a movie or take a vacation once in a while. Very few people in today's world would be satisfied with simply surviving without anything else that our society affords. And that's all basic income would cover--simple survival. You will not starve nor die of exposure for lack of shelter.

Do you agree that food and shelter should be a basic birthright for all humans on the planet?
Actually, I don't think I would miss my car or my smart phone. The only thing I NEED a car for is getting to and from work. Everything else I can do using public transportation. Unlike today's generation, I'm not hand cuffed to my smart phone. My world would not end if the power went out. I'd miss the internet but I can use that for free at the library and there are a lot of books to read before I run out. You don't need cars and phones to be happy. I could get used to hanging out on the front porch talking with all my neighbors who also no longer work. Honestly, with no job my needs would be simplified. Blue jeans and t-shirts and tennis shoes and no one will care if they all get worn and comfortable. I'd have time to shop garage sales and get bargains (seriously, my sister furnished her home BEAUTIFULLY on next to nothing when she was a SAHM because she could hit the garage sales on Thursday morning before everything was picked over.).

As to your last statement, that's why we have homeless shelters, food kitchens, welfare and churches to help the poor. Since the poor have subsidized housing, welfare, food stamps and Medicaid, why do we need basic income? I believe in helping people but I don't believe in giving them a free ride. However, if they decide to do this, I might sign up. I'm tired of the rat race and I'm tired working to pay for all the people who don't want to work. Maybe it's time the government paid me.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:29 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Christians believe in giving a hand up, liberals believe in government hand outs.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:

I think they also believe that those capable of working should work otherwise it's sloth. I don't think anyone is suggesting we don't help those who can't help themselves. I think your comment is just a talking point to justify bad behavior.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sure you would. For a month, maybe. Then you would miss your smart phone and your car and your Internet access and simply being able to go out to eat or see a movie or take a vacation once in a while. Very few people in today's world would be satisfied with simply surviving without anything else that our society affords. And that's all basic income would cover--simple survival. You will not starve nor die of exposure for lack of shelter.

Do you agree that food and shelter should be a basic birthright for all humans on the planet?
The government says phone and internet are also "basic necessities" now.

So what dollar figure are you mulling around in your head ?
$25K a year..$30K a year ? What about COL adjustments for various cities ?

And then who is left to pay taxes ?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
There is helping the poor and there is subsidizing the poor.

What we have ended up with is subsidizing a middle class lifestyle for the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies