Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times

Advertisements

What I had asked before, and what I am asking now is a question of semantics. I'm an American who lives in Malaysia. In Malaysia, it is very common to hear Malaysians refer to Native Americans as "Red Indians." When I first heard it I was shocked because I had never heard that term before and it reminded me a bit of the Washington Redskins debate. But then I thought, "why am I the one getting uncomfortable hearing this term...I'm not even Native American." The Malaysians I know aren't using it to be offensive. They're using to differentiate American Indians from Indians from India.

So my question to my Native American/American Indian/First Nations friends is: Do you consider the term "Red Indian" offensive?

**I'd like to ask everyone responding NOT to turn this into a debate about "political correctness" or as an excuse to air your racist views.***

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-27-2014 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: discussing moderation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 05:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
The term was initially given to tribes who painted their faces red and it denoted the term mighty warrior where the Washington Redskins got their name.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:03 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The term was initially given to tribes who painted their faces red and it denoted the term mighty warrior where the Washington Redskins got their name.
Wait, so Indians don't actually have red skin, red skin is actually face paint? LOL. And they claim we was racist.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:23 PM

74 posts, read 67,697 times
My County was heavily populated by the Ottawa, Chippewa and Potawatomi Indian tribes. Indian culture is pretty big here. Several nearby cities even have Indian given names even to this day. The utmost respect for these folks remains a lifelong priority of mine. I was also schooled in the Cub Scouts and later during my years in Boy Scouts on respect and identification. This white boy would do anything for ya......anytime!

Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Besides, aren't Native Americans actually Latino/Spanish?

Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Man you learned something new here everyday.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:50 PM

674 posts, read 698,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
My original post was deleted by moderators in the "Great Debates" for reasons that have not been explained to me. I've reluctantly decided to bring my question here to see what people think, and I hope that it can be answered in a mature and intelligent manner.

What I had asked before, and what I am asking now is a question of semantics. I'm an American who lives in Malaysia. In Malaysia, it is very common to hear Malaysians refer to Native Americans as "Red Indians." When I first heard it I was shocked because I had never heard that term before and it reminded me a bit of the Washington Redskins debate. But then I thought, "why am I the one getting uncomfortable hearing this term...I'm not even Native American." The Malaysians I know aren't using it to be offensive. They're using to differentiate American Indians from Indians from India.

So my question to my Native American/American Indian/First Nations friends is: Do you consider the term "Red Indian" offensive?

**I'd like to ask everyone responding NOT to turn this into a debate about "political correctness" or as an excuse to air your racist views.***
Check out the message board at powwows.com if you want to talk to some American Indians who actually have enough native ancestry to look native. You're not likely to bump into a native person here with more than 1/4 blood quantum.

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

Old 11-27-2014, 06:54 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Check out the message board at powwows.com if you want to talk to some American Indians who actually have enough native ancestry to look native. You're not likely to bump into a native person here with more than 1/4 blood quantum.

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture
Thank you for the website and thank you for giving me the only intelligent answer so far.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:27 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post

According to wikipedia, they think it is offensive:
Native American name controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I was taught in history class is that Columbus named the people here, Indians, because he thought he was in India. I'm 53 years old and I never really thought that much about it and I didn't know they did either.

I don't know why you would be uncomfortable with the term Red Indian, but apparently you're not alone. I wondered who opted for the change and it looks like they did.

If you ask me, people can take offense to some of the darndest things and it makes me wonder if they sit up nights thinking this stuff up.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:17 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
There were no "native" Americans. Those who came over the Bering Strait migrated here just as the Europeans did. Those who mated with the Spaniards afterwards created the Mestizo mixed race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies